Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Maximum Overdrive - Hilariously awful, and also completely awesome. This was one of the first (maybe the first?) times that Stephen King directed one of his own scripts, and he was just so, so bad at it. The dialogue is amazingly bad, too, but I suppose it's closer to par for other bad 1986 stuff. And Christ there is a lot of AC/DC.

I'd never seen it before, and it lived up to its reputation.

I love Maximum Overdrive...Mc D's for the mind and its delicious.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I love Maximum Overdrive...Mc D's for the mind and its delicious.

The first shot of the movie is so perfect. King himself standing there and "honey, this machine is calling me an asshole."

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Maximum Overdrive - Hilariously awful, and also completely awesome. This was one of the first (maybe the first?) times that Stephen King directed one of his own scripts, and he was just so, so bad at it. The dialogue is amazingly bad, too, but I suppose it's closer to par for other bad 1986 stuff. And Christ there is a lot of AC/DC.

I'd never seen it before, and it lived up to its reputation.
The movie was like a dry run for Tremors.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Jamaica Inn (1939) -- It's awful. Hitchcock did it only, because his contract forced him to, Laughton was a prima donna on the set, there were four script writers... but still, I blame it on Hitch. It's so far from du Maurier's book, the title should've been changed and the director renamed into Alan Smithee right after 1969. Only the first sequence of a ship crashing into the sharp Cornish cliffs is watchable, after that you'll crash into the most wonderous cure to insomnia. If only Cornelius had watched it, Tyler would have never raised to ruin his Ikea pension plan.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Aquaman is up to 888 million dollars at the box office.

DCEU totals:
1. Aquaman - 888 million
2. Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice - 874 million
3. Wonder Woman - 822 million
4. Suicide Squad - 747 million
5. Man of Steel - 668 million
6. Justice League - 658 million

Aquaman is going to hit a billion easily. Maybe as high as 1.2 or 1.3 billion.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Nun - An easy cash-grab full of horror cliches and jump scares. A shame because the setting in a Romanian castle in rural farmland lent itself for loads of atmosphere but I felt it wasn’t utilised to full potential. Overall an OK spinoff in The Conjuring series but deserving of its mediocre reviews. 2.5/5

famicommander

15 Year Member
What a surreal statement.

Right?

Gotta give Geoff Johns credit. He set out to make Aquaman cool and actually succeeded.

First with his fantastic run on the Aquaman New 52 reboot, then by fighting to get this movie made (which is mostly based on said comic run).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The real genius was releasing it internationally before the US critics could warn people.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It's gonna end up with 300-350 million domestic too. It'll beat every DC movie except Wonder Woman at home.

Makes sense. Sounds like it's the second-best DCEU movie behind WW, critically speaking.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wtf suicide squad made more than MOS? Even with Margot robbie that movie stank.

famicommander

15 Year Member
941 million for Aquaman now.

Suicide Squad was pretty horrible but Harley Quinn is insanely popular.

Haven't seen Aquaman but for me it goes
Wonder Woman >>>> Batman vs Superman (Ultimate cut) >>>>>> Justice League >> Man of Steel >>>> Batman vs Superman (theatrical cut) >> Suicide Squad

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
941 million for Aquaman now.

Suicide Squad was pretty horrible but Harley Quinn is insanely popular.

Haven't seen Aquaman but for me it goes
Wonder Woman >>>> Batman vs Superman (Ultimate cut) >>>>>> Justice League >> Man of Steel >>>> Batman vs Superman (theatrical cut) >> Suicide Squad
Hm.

For me, WW is the top DCEU movie, followed by Man of Steel, then Aquaman. After that the others are kinda samey.

fake

15 Year Member
The Nightmare
Decent docu about sleep paralysis by the guy who did Room 327. I have sleep paralysis once every month or so. Some of the accounts were similar to my own experience, but others were far worse. Some even seemed to not just be a physiological issue; a few people mentioned paranormal events that tied into their sleep paralysis.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Hm.

For me, WW is the top DCEU movie, followed by Man of Steel, then Aquaman. After that the others are kinda samey.

They needed to cut most of the stuff from Krypton and Smallville from Man of Steel. It takes way too long for the movie to go anywhere.

Theatrical BvS is a nonsensical mess but I do enjoy the Ultimate Cut. They cut out 30+ minutes of relevant plot to make it work for IMAX.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Finally had my son for a few days so we watched the 4K Blu-rays of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Deadpool 2 that have been sat there.

JW was entertaining I suppose, but it was complete bollocks in both the plot and script writing. The boy enjoyed it though, so I'm happy. Deadpool 2 was awesome though, we both really enjoyed it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
It (2017)

Total garbage, bad child actors and two-bit jump scares, complete waste of time.
0,5/5

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The Mule.
Typical Clint film. I can't really take the emotional manipulation anymore. His films hurt. Seeing him so old and fragile made me sad too. Amazing what he managed to pull off here, even though much of the plot is very silly

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
They needed to cut most of the stuff from Krypton and Smallville from Man of Steel. It takes way too long for the movie to go anywhere.

Theatrical BvS is a nonsensical mess but I do enjoy the Ultimate Cut. They cut out 30+ minutes of relevant plot to make it work for IMAX.
Dude what? Man I loved the Krypton stuff. I agree about Smallville stuff, that's been done to death. But seeing Snyders take on Krypton was cool, I wanted a lot more.

Also agree about BvS Ultimate. While the last thing that movie needed was a longer run time, the stuff they DID cut never should have been.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dude what? Man I loved the Krypton stuff. I agree about Smallville stuff, that's been done to death. But seeing Snyders take on Krypton was cool, I wanted a lot more.

Also agree about BvS Ultimate. While the last thing that movie needed was a longer run time, the stuff they DID cut never should have been.

They tried to cram The Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, Return of Superman, and DCEU set up into one film. Should have just done Dark Knight Returns and then saved Death and Return for the next one.

fake

15 Year Member
They tried to cram The Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, Return of Superman, and DCEU set up into one film. Should have just done Dark Knight Returns and then saved Death and Return for the next one.

Even as a casual comics reader, it was very clear they were trying to combine Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman.

famicommander

15 Year Member
With the successes of Wonder Woman and Aquaman and the relative failures of Justice League, Suicide Squad, and BVS hopefully DC gets the hint that they should just make good individual stories and only cross them over with other properties when it makes sense to do so.

Shazam is the next one. Hopefully they can keep the momentum from Aquaman going.

The good thing about Wonder Woman and Aquaman being the most successful is that it makes a Flashpoint movie that much more powerful. And they can use that to retcon any nonsense and recast any actors they can't keep in their roles long term.

I think that's what they're going to do with the Flash film. It was supposed to already be filming but WB pushed it back so Ezra Miller could do Fantastic Beasts.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
With the successes of Wonder Woman and Aquaman and the relative failures of Justice League, Suicide Squad, and BVS hopefully DC gets the hint that they should just make good individual stories and only cross them over with other properties when it makes sense to do so.

Shazam is the next one. Hopefully they can keep the momentum from Aquaman going.

The good thing about Wonder Woman and Aquaman being the most successful is that it makes a Flashpoint movie that much more powerful. And they can use that to retcon any nonsense and recast any actors they can't keep in their roles long term.

I think that's what they're going to do with the Flash film. It was supposed to already be filming but WB pushed it back so Ezra Miller could do Fantastic Beasts.

Justice league could be great but the problem is you can’t have everyone on JL looking like The Avengers. As long as Jason Momoa acts like Jason Momoa as Aquaman, the recipe wont work. Aquaman isn’t swagger.