Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They needed to cut most of the stuff from Krypton and Smallville from Man of Steel. It takes way too long for the movie to go anywhere.
Maybe you shouldn't smoke out at that altitude. Krypton and Smallville were just about the only parts of the movie that worked. The movie goes along just fine until he puts on the suit.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Maybe you shouldn't smoke out at that altitude. Krypton and Smallville were just about the only parts of the movie that worked. The movie goes along just fine until he puts on the suit.

UniqueDelightfulApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

Also the whole Codex subplot that goes nowhere

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Victor Crowley- Well, it's Hatchet 4 and it sure knows it. Some solid gore as always, what else do you need?

GG Allin: All in the Family- Pretty fucking depressing.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
They Shall Not Grow Old

Peter Jackson's restoration of old WWI footage. Very, very eerie to watch, in a good way. Best documentary of 2018 imo.

Most of the footage has been colourised and transformed with modern production techniques, with the addition of sound effects and voice acting to be more evocative and feel closer to the soldiers' actual experiences.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I took my daughter to see Bumblebee yesterday, and it was really surprisingly good, easily better than any of the Bay flicks. As much as I generally hate reboots, I actually wish this was a reboot and they'd hand the keys to this new director. The movie does suffer from the Terminator problem though, the opening of the movie is a fight on Cybertron full of familiar faces, and like the future scenes in Terminator you really just want a movie of the Cybertron war that we'll never see.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
GohanX you sonuvvabitch I saw Bumblebee because I was close to the cinema and remembered you said it was good. I've never seen a Bayformers film. I love love LOVE the 86 movie. I don't give a flying shit about anything else Transformers-related other than the 86 movie.

BUMBLEBEE was garbage. Garbage actress who cries or gets teary-eyed in every scene. Garbage characters. Garbage plot and motivations. Garbage Vice City-esque insert of 80s music to make you feel nostalgic but just makes me annoyed.

The only thing to watch out for was the boyfriend character (uhh I think his name is Memo?? uhhhh Memo????) actor. Dude has a six-pack but also a double chin, or fat under his chin, very interesting.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think Transformers fans want to make themselves like Bumblebee because some critics have been nice to it, so it's a little vindicating for them.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I stop caring when i found out it wasn't Starscream

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

you mean the guy who ripped out Bumblebee's vocal cords or whatever it is transformers have? I had no idea who he was, just showed up out of nowhere.

It's always been cool for geeks to like Transformers but with this movie I can honestly say, no, I would not care if this franchise died tomorrow. I don't care about the cartoons, the toys, and especially the Bay-directed movies. The only thing I care about is the 86 movie, which I still really enjoy (a very strong, convincing hero dies within the first half-hour and doesn't come back a la deus ex machina - incredible!).

If I really had to think about it, if Peter Cullen didn't voice Optimus then this franchise wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. It really all comes back to Cullen.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Solo: An Attempted Star Wars Story
This was the first Star Wars movie in theaters that I skipped in my life. (I was born way after the original run but was primo age for the special editions' theatrical runs.) I skipped it because VIII was so terrible and because I heard the production was a hot mess; the guy playing Han literally couldn't act and Lord & Miller were in over their heads. I don't regret skipping it. It's...OK. The character really didn't remind me of Han, the heist didn't feel like a heist, the Western elements didn't make it feel like a Western in space (save for the bridge explosion), etc. Not a fan of the robot liberation movement in there either, and I don't think this was the place for a "fucking over the indigenous people for their resources" lesson. If this were some new franchise, it might be halfway adequate. On the other hand, for a movie that really shouldn't have been made, it could've been a lot worse.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Solo: An Attempted Star Wars Story
This was the first Star Wars movie in theaters that I skipped in my life. (I was born way after the original run but was primo age for the special editions' theatrical runs.) I skipped it because VIII was so terrible and because I heard the production was a hot mess; the guy playing Han literally couldn't act and Lord & Miller were in over their heads. I don't regret skipping it. It's...OK. The character really didn't remind me of Han, the heist didn't feel like a heist, the Western elements didn't make it feel like a Western in space (save for the bridge explosion), etc. Not a fan of the robot liberation movement in there either, and I don't think this was the place for a "fucking over the indigenous people for their resources" lesson. If this were some new franchise, it might be halfway adequate. On the other hand, for a movie that really shouldn't have been made, it could've been a lot worse.

Solo was terrible. It felt like a Star Trek movie made for Disney Channel. The part that stood out for me the most was how human the aliens were. How human the aliens moved. There was a creature that looked like a toilet worm that spoke perfect English to Han and his love interest, Keira (it’s a popular name on Corellia I guess). Not all aliens spoke English, and at one point Han spoke wookie to Chewbacca, and now I am wondering how Chewbacca introduces himself if he never makes sounds with his lips pressed together like “b” in bacca. In fact, not even sure he can make sounds with his tongue pressed to the roof of his maw, like “chew”. But this would not be marketable if his name was ughhhhghghghhgh.

Darth Maul having more lines in this movie than ever, and removing his cowl to talk, idk man. Why bother such an explicit reveal. What level of fanbois is this shit service for?

The Han Solo actor was a joke. Is he the son of a producer or something? And the guy playing Lando Calrissian has zero charm or charisma.

Shit movie. 1/10.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll get around to watching Solo at some point or another now that it's free on Netflix...I have zero expectations for it, I know it will be shit.

What Still Remains
I'll admit it, I got suckered into this one. I saw it last night, saw it got a 89% on RT and thought "eh, what the hell". It's a small budget films and when done well, I really like these types. The acting is solid enough, the plot is pretty ok...but the entire thing is really thin, like it needed to be WAY longer than it was. There were many plot points that were flat out missing or points that made the watcher really fill in the gaps on their own.

I was ok, but definitely not worth a 89% on RT...I really need to dig deeper, RT has been a shit site for some time now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
GohanX you sonuvvabitch I saw Bumblebee because I was close to the cinema and remembered you said it was good. I've never seen a Bayformers film. I love love LOVE the 86 movie. I don't give a flying shit about anything else Transformers-related other than the 86 movie.

Meh, you didn't have anything better to do with that two hours, did you? Also, pretty sure you have no soul. This wasn't a war movie like TF 86 and most of the other TF movies though, it was an 80's coming of age buddy comedy that just happens to star a 20 foot tall alien robot. The robot fighting at the beginning and end were kidn of an afterthought.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
BUMBLEBEE was garbage. Garbage actress who cries or gets teary-eyed in every scene.

Sure can sing a slightly ambiguous song about self-acceptance and/or masturbation, though:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Hang on a second.

HANG ON A FUCKING SECOND.

So the dude in the trailer that looks exactly like 'Scream - isn't him? I havent seen the movie, but that scene in the trailer is what sold me on it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Darth Maul having more lines in this movie than ever, and removing his cowl to talk, idk man. Why bother such an explicit reveal. What level of fanbois is this shit service for?

To preface, I will say that I do agree with your assessment of Solo. It was pretty dumb. I hated... fucking hated, that the Imperial Recruiter named him. That's just fucking bunk. He should have just said "my last name is Solo." Thats it. Simple. Dont need a cute, funny way of revealing the name. "Whats your name?" "Han Solo." Is how that scene should have gone.

As far as the Maul stuff, I dont know if its truly fan service, or whatever. But for fans of the Clone Wars cartoon, and the Rebels cartoon, it was a major plot point. I didnt want to like Clone Wars, because Tartakofsky's 'dexters lab' style Animated one was great, and they basically snuffed it out of existence with the CG animated one. But, I have to say it was pretty well written (if you watch them in chronological order, not aired order), and some of the characters evolve really well, and it introduced one of my favorite SW characters ever, Ahsoka Tano. And to top it off, they finally show how much of a fuckin' ninja Obi Wan is/was.

Anyway, back to Maul. He is reintroduced into the canon, found alive and insane on a planet (with robot spider legs) - and there is a whole several-episode run plot on his return, and how he becomes the leader of Crimson Dawn. It's actually kinda cool. The Rebels cartoon (which is also pretty great) expands more on Maul, and its pretty cool. Then they loop it back when they 'reveal' him at the end of Solo. That is literally the only thing I liked about Solo. And, well - I have to admit Donald Glover as a young Lando was pretty great. But the rest of the movie is shit. Total shit.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
To preface, I will say that I do agree with your assessment of Solo. It was pretty dumb. I hated... fucking hated, that the Imperial Recruiter named him. That's just fucking bunk. He should have just said "my last name is Solo." Thats it. Simple. Dont need a cute, funny way of revealing the name. "Whats your name?" "Han Solo." Is how that scene should have gone.

You're right, but I'd say the best thing would be if he acted surprised when asked for his last name and emoted that he was coming up with it on the spot.

Anyway, back to Maul. He is reintroduced into the canon, found alive and insane on a planet (with robot spider legs) - and there is a whole several-episode run plot on his return, and how he becomes the leader of Crimson Dawn. It's actually kinda cool. The Rebels cartoon (which is also pretty great) expands more on Maul, and its pretty cool. Then they loop it back when they 'reveal' him at the end of Solo. That is literally the only thing I liked about Solo. And, well - I have to admit Donald Glover as a young Lando was pretty great. But the rest of the movie is shit. Total shit.

I think we talked about this in another thread. Even if it's technically canon for Darth Maul to be alive, we all made the unspoken agreement that anything created in the prequels stays in the prequels. And I mean specifically I-III, since Rogue One and Solo are technically prequels. I'd imagine only a small percentage of the people watching Solo have any idea that Darth Maul came back, and I'd bet that his cameo pissed off more people than it pleased. I wonder if it was an attempt at people who were familiar with the character to say "WTF, I thought he was dead..." to go and buy the content in which he is reintroduced.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Whether or not Maul lived wasn’t the issue as much as how they portrayed him in a way that contrasted his character in Phantom Menace. He came off as a joke in Solo. Leave the cowl on, have him tersely question about Dryson, and demand she meet in person, and don’t show off the light saber via FaceTime, because this isn’t chat roulette. Less is a lot more.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hang on a second.

HANG ON A FUCKING SECOND.

So the dude in the trailer that looks exactly like 'Scream - isn't him? I havent seen the movie, but that scene in the trailer is what sold me on it.

It's Blitzwing or some shit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
it was an 80's coming of age buddy comedy that just happens to star a 20 foot tall alien robot. The robot fighting at the beginning and end were kidn of an afterthought.
That's less what I want from a Transformers movie than anything the Bay movies did.

I'll get around to watching Solo at some point or another now that it's free on Netflix...
Are you sure that's the same Solo? I don't think Disney is putting anything else out on Netflix from now on.

Last edited: