Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey there old chum, to cut down on forum clutter it's preferred to either:

-quickly press the like button to give me a like
-long press the like button to give me a laughing emoji

as opposed to creating a whole post only consisting of three letters.

Thanks for your cooperation in this new era of the neo-geo.com/forums.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hey there old chum, to cut down on forum clutter it's preferred to either:

-quickly press the like button to give me a like
-long press the like button to give me a laughing emoji

as opposed to creating a whole post only consisting of three letters.

Thanks for your cooperation in this new era of the neo-geo.com/forums.
Speaking of which, have you found the post I liked yet?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
which one?
They used Hey and it was used well. Hell the whole soundtrack was exceptionally well used.

I hope DC learns some things from this and chills out on the Snyderverse bullshit. Not that Batman or Superman movies should be this cartoonish but it just makes his super dark and overly serious stuff even more unappealing and ridiculous.

The amount of creativity in SS is so refreshing after the Snyder Cut and the abomination that was WW84.

It stands next to Deadpool and GOTG.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Next to Deadpool and Guardians? Damn. Guess I know what I’m doing this weekend.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Agreed - that's high praise. I was hoping there'd be a niced GotG vibe to the new SS movie.

Also, I liked Man of Steel quite a bit. BvS extended cut is watchable. Josstice League was trash. SnyderLeague was fun for me.

I hope the Snyderverse continues, but I agree that it doesn't necessarily need to be super dark and moody.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I can’t roll with a Superman who believes the ends justifies the means. It’s antithetical to Supes.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I dunno man, I know/get what you're saying, but the way I kinda took it was this. I don't think he was thinking the ends justify the means. At least not after Zod.

This was a true origin story for Snyder's Superman. He learns who he was/is, realizes his powers, and for the most part just saved people because of his good nature. He wasn't Supermanning it, no flight, no suits, etc. He just went around helping people (seemingly) at random and would leave and disappear with no reward, no hovering in front of crowds, etc. He was willing to give his life if needed (the whole oil rig scene).

Then his first real threat shows up. (Several) Military Kryptonians that are just as strong or stronger and more experienced as he is, and they can pretty much each kick his ass. It gets to the point where Zod is gonna do what HE feels will justify his actions and murder an entire innocent planet, just so he could rebuild it in his own image. Clark snaps his neck because he knows Zod will never stop.

But then he realizes what he's done. Immediate regret and remorse. Maybe from that point, he decides that the No-Kill rule is needed.

Sure that's a stretch, I can admit. But I dont know what it is, Cavill's Clark/Superman was great. I think he was a perfect casting for the character. Zimmers score was amazing. Yes it's not Williams' theme, but Zimmers is amazing (check out the live version on youtube, it's ridic).

Could it have been lighter in tone? Sure. Brighter in color? DEFinitely. But I mean, we basically got what we wanted for years. Superman punching stuff and fighting another superpowered enemy, and not just putting out fires with ice breath, and catching Lois falling off a building.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Superman and Lois is actually really good so far on TV.

I mean it's the CW so they'll probably fuck it up like they did after the great first season of The Flash (current season is unbelievably bad) but so far so good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’d have to rewatch but I’m not sure where that regret comes in. We needed another movie before Bats vs Supes but Man of Steel is from what, 2011? They had no clue what they wanted to do with the franchise and I don’t think the MCU had blown up yet.

The DCU has had no overarching coherent direction since day 1.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My problem isn't with what Superman or Batman does it's about how Snyder chooses to try and communicate that to the audience.

That and the noise, camerawork and headache inducing drawn out fight scenes. Action scenes have no impact when they are done in the manner he chooses. They become endurance tests he subjects the audience to.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Man of Steel is from what, 2011? They had no clue what they wanted to do with the franchise and I don’t think the MCU had blown up yeT。
MoS came out summer 2013, a full year after the first Avengers.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Suicide Squad - seriously, it's about time Michael Rooker got to star in a superhero movie, thank you.

Really though, this was awesome, and poor Ayer, dude is gonna live in infamy for what mostly wasn't his fault far as I can tell. Gunn should tell Marvel to fuck off and stick with the studio that lets him make bonkers stuff like this.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Fuck Ayer. He wanted to have Deadshot and Harley romantically linked. It's bad enough that Will Smith exists. Ayer was ready to make a bad situation even worse.

Reactions: jro

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
What We Do In The Shadows.

One that completely passed me by but better late than never. Thoroughly enjoyable, especially as I am a big fan of Jemaine Clement and Rhys Darby.

Thanks for the heads up @Evil Wasabi, now on to the TV series.

If you like the TV series, you might dig Toast of London with Matt Berry. It's irreverent, dry, and ludicrous.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If you like the TV series, you might dig Toast of London with Matt Berry. It's irreverent, dry, and ludicrous.

What in the FUCK do you mean "might dig?"

Toast of London is Berry Brilliance. 4th series is currently in production!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Val- Autobiographical home video/documentary by Val Kilmer about his life and career. Recommended.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Speaking of which, have you found the post I liked yet?
Negative. According to my data banks, the user [SouthtownKid] has not given a reaction to a post on these forums. If the user [SouthtownKid] has given a reaction, then that user redacted his reaction by clicking it again.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Green Knight
Really good - probably the best of the 2020s thus far, from what I've seen at least. You definitely need a little info going in (regarding the rules of chivalry) so you can see that Gawain is failing to fulfill them. Otherwise you'd think he's acting pretty normally. I appreciate showing the vestigial elements of pagan beliefs co-mingled with Christianity.

Looking forward to Lamb and Titane.