Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
You're wrong, Terry. I care that the Path of Neo PS2 game is definitively non-canon. This is important for me to know. famicommander is a goddamn hero.
What about the Flash game from the very secret URL that required the password "steak"? Is that canon?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I only mentioned it because there was legitimate confusion about the other video games due to the Wachowskis' crazy release schedule in 2003

Reloaded, Revolutions, Animatrix, and Enter the Matrix all came out that year and they're all directly tied together. One of the reasons the sequels are such a mess is because they rely on you watching Animatrix and playing Enter the Matrix. The Wachowskis wanted to tell a story across different mediums and as a result people for years considered Matrix Online to be canon, and then when the trailers for Resurrections hit and it showed a bootleg Morpheus people ran with the idea that it was picking up after Matrix Online.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I liked the new Matrix.

You guys will hate it.

Please, please no more sequels. For the love of Crom, leave something to the imagination.

The ending to the new one seems to me to be “yeah sorry guys we kinda went off the walls in the trilogy at the end here is a much more satisfying ending.”

Who was a recast? Smith?

I missed The post credit scene. Saw in theater and had to pee lol, @famicommander can you pm what happens in the scene?

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I missed The post credit scene. Saw in theater and had to pee lol, @famicommander can you pm what happens in the scene?
Spoiler:
Johnny Mnemonic, Theodore "Ted" Logan III, and the guy from Speed walk out of a rip in The Matrix. John Wick comes out last and says, "I'm assembling a team."

Keanuverse

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I thought Matrix 4 was OK. Like most sequels/reboots lately it starts off well, goes on too long and deteriorates towards the end. Agree with fami's bullet points. Somehow the effects are worse than the earlier movies. OG Agent Smith and Morpheus are missed but not too much. The main problem is the obligatory plot recycling with tiresome exposition. Worth a watch but not a rewatch. The earlier sequels are more interesting failures. This entry is ultimately pointless.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I liked the new Matrix.

You guys will hate it.

Please, please no more sequels. For the love of Crom, leave something to the imagination.

The ending to the new one seems to me to be “yeah sorry guys we kinda went off the walls in the trilogy at the end here is a much more satisfying ending.”

Who was a recast? Smith?

They recast both Morpheus and Smith, and now that I think about it, Sati. I dunno if the kid who played her in the OG movies still acts or what.

As for the post-credits, it's utterly pointless
Spoiler:
The creative team from the Matrix video game is discussing cat memes or some shit

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Johnny Mnemonic, Theodore "Ted" Logan III, and the guy from Speed walk out of a rip in The Matrix. John Wick comes out last and says, "I'm assembling a team."

Keanuverse

Are you fucking with me? Lol

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I am pleased that a very, very small part of you for a moment nearly believed that what I wrote happened.

edit: Uh WTF apparently the real post credits scene is also retarded

In a movie franchise fundamentally about whether reality is reality can you blame me?

famicommander

15 Year Member
I still don't know how the fights were as bad as they were. They even had Chad Stahelski in the movie (Keanu's stuntman in Matrix 1, stunt director in Dredd and Matrix 2 and 3, director of the John Wick trilogy). Should've hired him to fix the fights instead of having him play Trinity's Matrix husband.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They were fine and my thought was the fights weren’t the point.

If you were a god-tier superhero why would you even bother to fight if you could just shrug any attack off?

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
No, it's Dune level 2
Apparently to fami every franchise is Dune level. Next thing you know we'll be getting daily updates about Jumanji 5.

I wasn't even aware that The Matrix Online was a thing and the PS2 game fucking sucked. It's been 20 years since the original and I can only assume 75% of the audience seeing the new one were 5 years old or younger when it came out. No way they hold it in the same regard as people that were 15-20 then, and they sure as shit don't care about all these old ass, half baked, convoluted tie-ins that were part of the Wachowskis master plan.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Watched Matrix Resurrections, liked it more than I thought I would. Really a pretty enjoyable balance of fan service and stupidity, sort of impressive in its own right. Oddly cold to those who haven't seen all from before. Not really a fan of the obvious setup for yet another goddamn trilogy.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Probably going to catch the matrix today. At least it sounds like it's not a total shit show...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Saw Matrix 4 today.

It was better than Reloaded/Revolutions, but just barely.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I thought the beginning with Neo was the strongest part of the film. Had they not shown the new Morpheus it would have been really interesting in so far as whether or not Thomas Anderson was suffering from a crippling mental delusion.

They should have hit up a pseudo Wes Craven’s New Nightmare angle.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I thought the beginning with Neo was the strongest part of the film. Had they not shown the new Morpheus it would have been really interesting in so far as whether or not Thomas Anderson was suffering from a crippling mental delusion.

They should have hit up a pseudo Wes Craven’s New Nightmare angle.
Looks like you'll get your wish about no sequels to Resurrections, because it's tanking badly.

There's allegedly a new Animatrix in the works but that'll probably be the end of it for at least another decade.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Also, that bit about the bosses threatening Thomas that they'll make more Matrix with or without him was real life shit.

WB was developing a new movie starring Michael B. Jordan and written by Zak Penn, with no input from the Wachowskis. They canceled it when Lana pitched this movie.

Penn has co-written or written such gems as:
Elektra
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
Ready Player One
Free Guy
Charlie's Angels
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Looks like you'll get your wish about no sequels to Resurrections, because it's tanking badly.

There's allegedly a new Animatrix in the works but that'll probably be the end of it for at least another decade.

To be clear I want no sequels because it doesn’t need a sequel.

Much like The Matrix didn’t need a sequel. What more to the story is there to tell?

The story is over - we don’t need to know “what happens next.”

Leave something to the imagination. I actually really liked Resurrections btw.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also, that bit about the bosses threatening Thomas that they'll make more Matrix with or without him was real life shit.

WB was developing a new movie starring Michael B. Jordan and written by Zak Penn, with no input from the Wachowskis. They canceled it when Lana pitched this movie.

Penn has co-written or written such gems as:
Elektra
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
Ready Player One
Free Guy
Charlie's Angels
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps

Free Guy was fun. The rest are turds. Especially X3.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
CBGB- Semi comedy about the famous NYC club mostly focusing on the owner Hilly. A real mixed bag, while it covers bands like Television, The Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Police, Iggy Pop and Patti Smith it skips over a ton of others that while not as well know are arguably just as important. Focusing an inordinate amount of time on The Dead Boys, which actually has Rupert Grint in the most accurate role in the entire movie. Some other interesting casting choices here and there spice things up a little.

Goofy and annoying editing, inconsistant tone and some just god awful lip-synching really drag the movie down and unfortunately so does Alan Rickman as Hilly. The entire time he's on screen all you can see and hear it Rickman in a wig with a gut. Sure he look like the real guy but it just doesn't work.

Also there is no sense of a timeline to anything, it makes it seem like all of this is just happening within a very short window of time when it's actually closer to a decade.

Worth watching to see the different interpretations of some great bands but it's not enough to make it anything more than a mediocre attempt at capturing something really special.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
CBGB- Semi comedy about the famous NYC club mostly focusing on the owner Hilly. A real mixed bag, while it covers bands like Television, The Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Police, Iggy Pop and Patti Smith it skips over a ton of others that while not as well know are arguably just as important. Focusing an inordinate amount of time on The Dead Boys, which actually has Rupert Grint in the most accurate role in the entire movie. Some other interesting casting choices here and there spice things up a little.

Goofy and annoying editing, inconsistant tone and some just god awful lip-synching really drag the movie down and unfortunately so does Alan Rickman as Hilly. The entire time he's on screen all you can see and hear it Rickman in a wig with a gut. Sure he look like the real guy but it just doesn't work.

Also there is no sense of a timeline to anything, it makes it seem like all of this is just happening within a very short window of time when it's actually closer to a decade.

Worth watching to see the different interpretations of some great bands but it's not enough to make it anything more than a mediocre attempt at capturing something really special.
Gotta admit that Taylor Hawkins as Iggy Pop was weird but cool lol

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Matrix Resurrection - don't waste your time, this might be the worst Matrix sequel no one asked for.