Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Cool World - What the fuck did I even just watch? Whatever it was, it wasn't great. Or even...good. Was this an original work or based on an actual comic or...? Off to the wikipedia page, I guess. Kim Basinger was 10/10.
Dude I saw this in the movie theater when I was 5. What a trip. Loved it for years.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Cool World - What the fuck did I even just watch? Whatever it was, it wasn't great. Or even...good. Was this an original work or based on an actual comic or...? Off to the wikipedia page, I guess. Kim Basinger was 10/10.

It was a direct response to people lusting after Jessica Rabbit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It was a direct response to people lusting after Jessica Rabbit.
Definitely.

Roger Rabbit caused a whole wave of half assed animated/live action hybrid movies and almost all of them are total shit. Like the studios thought it would be easy to copy that formula, "just add some cartoon characters and make one a hot chick. How hard could it be?" Real hard. Roger Rabbit is an incredible achievement from a technical perspective so the lesser studios decided to go for weird and edgey instead of well made or even coherent.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Bakshi through and through. I didn't watch it when it came out but watched it a few years ago and thought the exact same thing.

Dumb movie, and the absolutely RANDOM placement of random cartoon images made zero sense.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The RLM on Roger Rabbit was very entertaining. They bring up Cool World at the end.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I went to the movies 2 nights in a row. Both nights I was the only one in the theater, which is great because apparently no one can shut the fuck up at movies any more. Not really sure how these places are staying in business but anyway I watched the 4K remaster of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Bunker. First time seeing CTHD and I enjoyed it as expected. Great action scenes, beautiful cinematography but a bit too much love story drama for my liking. Bunker was a weird movie set in a WW1 bunker. A group of soldiers get trapped and weird stuff starts happening. Started off well but dragged on too long and kind of fell apart. Not terrible but I don't understand what they were going for here.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

Ralph Bakshi - and he got nerfed making it. If they would've let him go balls out it would've been incredible, just like his other films. But I agree, it's lacking in areas, but I still love it because I can't not love anything Bakshi did. Go watch Coonskin or Heavy Traffic..

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ralph Bakshi - and he got nerfed making it. If they would've let him go balls out it would've been incredible, just like his other films. But I agree, it's lacking in areas, but I still love it because I can't not love anything Bakshi did. Go watch Coonskin or Heavy Traffic..
I liked Wizards and Lord of the Rings when I was a kid. But as I got older, I lost respect for fully rotoscoped animation. If you're going to film real actors doing everything first anyway, what's the point of turning it into animation?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I liked Wizards and Lord of the Rings when I was a kid. But as I got older, I lost respect for fully rotoscoped animation. If you're going to film real actors doing everything first anyway, what's the point of turning it into animation?

It's contextual for me. Based on the time it was made. I agree with you, but if you look at say The Lord of the Rings...the distance between the video and the actual animation is huge. It's really similar to games now with a director and actors beings filmed and used as the animation for the character models. But it's way more raw and gritty back then. It's unique in that he crafted an actual style out of something, as you said, seems void of reason. Coonskin, and Fritz are way less rotoscoped. But, Fire and Ice is MASTERFUL in terms of his style. He took live action and made it Frank Frazetta in motion.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's contextual for me. Based on the time it was made. I agree with you, but if you look at say The Lord of the Rings...the distance between the video and the actual animation is huge.
I'm sure it is. I guess my point is that all the effort made tracing the live action video and turning that into painted cels and backgrounds could have been put into filming a better live action project and releasing an actual movie. Using the Lord of the Rings example, I have way more respect now for Rankin-Bass' Hobbit and Return of the King cartoons. Because while they're maybe less ambitious, at least the entire thing was made from artists imagining things and then drawing them rather than tracing already captured motion and acting.

The video game thing is a little different for me, since those are supposed to be interactive experiences, and the motion capture tends to relate to gameplay rather than storytelling.

Honestly, I lost a lot of respect for a lot of the classic Disney animated movies when I found out about their extensive use of rotoscoping as well. I did some rotoscoping work myself in my early 20s for a couple commercials (at a little independent studio a couple blocks away from the WB lot, working overnight, and the two other guys using the cameras were filming animatics for WB from Batman storyboards for what would become Mask of the Phantasm), and really, a monkey could do it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin- A literal nightmare of psychedelia, sex and murder. A mentally troubled woman is having psycho-sexual dreams about her sexy female neighbor who hosts drug fueled orgies. When the neighbor is murdered in a manner that almost exactly matches one of the main characters dreams she descends into a spiral of insanity, paranoia and mystery.

Absolutely bat-shit crazy, the entire movie feels like psychedelic tinged panic attack. Directed by Lucio Fulci, released in 1971 at the height of tripped-out euro cinema and featuring a score by Ennio Morricone this one is something else. This might be the "best" Fulci movie I've seen.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The point of rotoscoping is to have a completely seamless transition between the mundane and the fantastical. I've recommended the Amazon show Undone several times before and I'll do it again now. It allows you to capture all of the nuances of a live action performance like body language and facial expressions and then transition directly into special effects without the use of shitty CGI or the like.

If you haven't seen Undone you're really missing out. Stars Rosa Salazar and Bob Odenkirk, co-created by the Bojack Horseman dude.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Chinatown- 10/10 possibly a perfect movie, from the opening credits to Faye Dunaways creepy penciled on eyebrows to the famous closing line. Fuck Roman Polanski but I'll be damned if this isn't a masterpiece.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Chinatown- 10/10 possibly a perfect movie, from the opening credits to Faye Dunaways creepy penciled on eyebrows to the famous closing line. Fuck Roman Polanski but I'll be damned if this isn't a masterpiece.
Yeah, this is my #1 example of separating artist from art, and easily makes my top 10 movies of all-time. They could unearth footage of Polanski drop kicking babies into a bonfire, and I still would not be able to give this movie up.

Rewatched Rosemary's Baby a few months back, and that still holds up well also, although nowhere near the level of Chinatown. Even more recent junk movie Ninth Gate, I enjoy a lot and rewatch from time to time. I also keep meaning to watch Repulsion, which I've never seen and is streaming on prime now. Maybe next week some time.

Completely hypocritically, I can't fucking stand Woody Allen and don't want to watch anything by him at all, no matter how good anyone says it is. An arbitrary double standard, but I don't know what to tell you.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
separating artist from art
People need to realize that most people in music and movies/tv suck and are horrible people (even if nobody ratted them out for doing some hideous shit), doesn't mean the art was bad.

But R. Kelly can eat shit. I never liked him anyway

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Agreed on all points. Repulsion is worth a watch but I don't have any interest in re-watching it.

People need to realize that most people in music and movies/tv suck and are horrible people (even if nobody ratted them out for doing some hideous shit), doesn't mean the art was bad.
50% of classic rock songs are about screwing underaged girls and millions of people gladly sing along. Shit, if it's catchy enough they give you a Grammy.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Hard To Kill - not seen this for years... Segal's second movie following Above The Law / Nico. It's not that bad, not as good as the teenage me thought it was though. Some of the cuts in the action sequences scream MPAA interference... Kelly LeBrock is still very easy on the eye, even though her acting is wooden as fuck. Segal does his thing much better in Out For Justice and Marked For Death, and the great Bill Sadler just doesn't get enough screen time.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Idris Elba's only good role was Stringer Bell. Everything else was meh.
I remember eventually, after long last, finishing The Wire and being like wait, String wasn't the main character?

There was an interview with him where Elba admitted that he was really sad that they'd kill him off but that Simon said no, now you're free to go be a movie star, and that was true. He's limited yes but in the right role ya gotta admit he's fun ie android in f in Hobbes and Shaw or trading kill lines w Cena.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Honestly, I lost a lot of respect for a lot of the classic Disney animated movies
Sometimes I'll be doing something like drinking a coffee or hailing a taxi, and I'll think to myself, "The Kid has never seen Beauty and the Beast."*

*Hey there true believers, refer to post #18 in the Things You've Never Done thread! Excelsior! - Ed.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ant-Man 3.

It was a movie.
This reminds me of a review I saw today by Hideo Kojima for Black Adam: "I stayed awake and was able to watch it."

Sometimes I'll be doing something like drinking a coffee or hailing a taxi, and I'll think to myself, "The Kid has never seen Beauty and the Beast."*
Never seen that, never seen Little Mermaid, never seen Lion King (got dragged to the stage play, though), never seen Pochohantas, Mulan, none of that shit. I did see 5 minutes of Tarzan but turned it off. I have a super low tolerance for musicals other than Blues Brothers. Perfectly happy to watch The Goofy Movie or the Duck Tales movie, but that singing teacup shit can fuck right off.