Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I hated Watchmen at the time but for some reason I want to check it out again. Maybe mainly for The Comedian, that actor was perfectly cast.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Snyder's Watchmen movie is well made but kind of unnecessary since it sticks so close to the source material. Basically just an exercise in technique. I wasn't a big fan at release either, but it's not a bad way to consume the material.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Silencing- Grim crime thriller starring the guy that played Jamie Lannister. A reformed illegal trapper whose daughter went missing five years earlier gets involved with the local sheriff and a serial killer that hunts young women for sport in the Minnesota wilderness using an atlatl (primitive spear flinging weapon). Pretty good up until it shit the bed with the ending, I was in for the first two thirds. It's engaging, well shot and the cast is solid but man it just ends with a wet fart and completely ruins everything.

House of the Devil- Simple, slow and atmospheric. A great slow burn throwback. There are a couple moments where the seems start to show as far as budget and Ti West still finding his footing but overall it's a really enjoyable little movie. Hadn't seen it since it came out and was pleasantly surprised by how well it's held up. The main girl was pretty good but I really enjoyed seeing Tom Noonan and Mary Wornov as the creepy old couple, completely forgot they were in it.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I don't hate Snyder's Watchmen movie, which is probably the most positive thing I can say about Snyder.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Obviously the graphic novel is more subtle and better.

I actually liked the Watchmen movie. I imported the director's cut from the UK and the ultimate cut from the US later.
They only released the theatrical version here at the time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Gerald's Game- Psychological horror from Mike Flanagan starring Carla Gugino and Bruce Greenwood. Excellent performances from the two leads, one of those movies where the actors really get to show their worth. I thought it might be a little too predictable but it managed to stay suspenseful. Although I definitely think it really should have ended about 15 minutes earlier than it did. All that stuff at the end felt like a studio mandate that was tacked on to try and wrap things up for stupid people. Aside from that it was really solid and if you're a fan of Flanagan's stuff but haven't seen it it's worth a watch.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Net
I only watched this because Frank Costanza mentions it at one point. It's terrible. I'm fine with plots that don't adhere to strictly realistic portrayal of computers and networking, but this was ridiculous. The overall plot was also garbage. It seems like the director had Sandra Bullock mumble the vast majority of her lines. "Don't forget - you're a shut-in computer nerd!" No boobs.

Electric Dreams
Only slightly better than The Net. An architect buys a computer so he can design a brick shaped like a jigsaw puzzle piece that can help mitigate earthquakes. The computer gets jealous of his relationship with his manic pixie dream girl neighbor. It sucks, but there is a montage with some wild CGI that is worth watching. Also no oobs.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
@terry.330 Review request for Ready or Not, 2019 horror.

Pretty sure terry and I have both written about it. It's one of my favorite movies of the last several years. Great performance by Samara Weaving and the family are all deliciously stupid/arch. If it weren't for a couple of rough gore shots, you could show it to just about anyone and have a good time.

Every time another bad/middling "eat the rich" movie comes out (Saltburn most recently but the stupid Knives Out movies most egregiously), it reminds me that I should just watch Ready or Not again.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Barbie - Awesome set design and Ryan Gosling was hilarious. I didn't care for some of the dialogue and the story was sort of weak. This is the type of movie made for my nieces and other young women but it has things that most adults would find funny. I recommend it. If you have Max, it's streaming there now.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So according to Snyder, the reason there are 2 cuts of his movie is because Netflix wanted one to be PG13 for the mass market appeal and told Snyder if he gave them that he could do "whatever he wanted" on the R rated cut.

Snyder claims the R-rated cut is "almost an entirely different movie" and could be considered a different universe.

So I guess this is just what he does now. Release one shitty version of a film, then release a better but still not good version of the same film. Did it with Watchmen, Batman vs Superman, and Justice League due to studio meddling and now he's doing it on purpose.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The Watchmen ultimate cut isn't the best version. It wasn't even released outside the US until they released it on 4K Blu-ray.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Watchmen ultimate cut isn't the best version. It wasn't even released outside the US until they released it on 4K Blu-ray.
There are at least 3 cuts of that one, though. There's a 162 minute cut, a 186 minute director's cut, and a 215 minute ultimate cut.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I like dark and long movies, so the Watchmen ultimate cut suits me just fine, as does the Snyder Justice League Trilogy Ultimate Edition 4K. But then I'm the sort of nutter who buys the Extended Mall Hours/Complete Cut of Dawn of the Dead. I got the Complete Cut BluRay from Germany- out of print but occasionally pops up.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Master and Commander: Far Side of the World- I really wish this had been financially successful so we could have at least gotten a second one. I know the director and Crowe really wanted to make a couple more. I'm not familiar with the books but I think the movie is excellent, probably my favorite Russell Crowe flick. The attention to detail is phenomenal, the casting is great, and it's really just a rare combination of history, action and characters that doesn't come off as romanticized schmaltz or macho feel good nonsense.

I'd really like to see this get a proper 4k remaster. I watched it on Amazon and it looked pretty bad, the blu-ray is 15 years old at this point. It deserves better.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Master and Commander: Far Side of the World- I really wish this had been financially successful so we could have at least gotten a second one. I know the director and Crowe really wanted to make a couple more. I'm not familiar with the books but I think the movie is excellent, probably my favorite Russell Crowe flick. The attention to detail is phenomenal, the casting is great, and it's really just a rare combination of history, action and characters that doesn't come off as romanticized schmaltz or macho feel good nonsense.

I'd really like to see this get a proper 4k remaster. I watched it on Amazon and it looked pretty bad, the blu-ray is 15 years old at this point. It deserves better.

That's one of those movies I've wanted to see forever but for no real reason just haven't done so.

I'm off for a couple days so I think I finally shall watch.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The sound is still a reference and worth owning the movie on Blu-ray. It's actually my test disc when I changed my audio setup.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Godzilla Minus One - I'm generally not much for kaiju. Most of the Showa era movies are too goofy for my taste and while I enjoy and appreciate the millennium era Godzilla movies, it's not something I go back to or would consider myself a fan of. That said, despite the stupid name, this is damn solid. A shamed WWII pilot encounters big G on an island military base while trying to run away from his responsibility as a kamikaze. Godzilla destroys the island and kills the mechanics at the base. The movie then follows the pilot trying to put his life back together on the mainland: largely dealing with his shame and PTSD while Japan tries to rebuild in the post-war era. Eventually G returns and wrecks Ginza's shit and the pilot gets pulled in to the plan to stop him before he returns to finish the job.

There's definitely some Japan-style melodrama (J-drama/anime overacting) and not everything worked for me but there's so much they get right that I can largely ignore any misgivings. The movie dabbles in many of the tropes of Godzilla movies but twists them in such a way to make them interesting or to focus on the impact to one person or family. Having characters you can identify with and root for (or against) when the stomping begins generally makes or breaks these movies and this one mostly succeeds, largely I think because it couches everything in the very real aftermath of war. Guess this means I'll have to go back and watch Shin Godzilla at some point.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It'll be interesting to see the reactions to Godzilla vs. Kong 2 after this.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Warner Bros Discovery is in talks to merge with/acquire Paramount.

In addition to their film studios Paramount owns:
CBS
MTV
Nickelodeon
VH1
BET
Showtime
Pluto TV
Comedy Central
Pop TV
Logo
The Movie Channel
Smithsonian Channel
Flix
TV Land
Minority shares in Miramax, The CW, United International Pictures

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Zeiram 2- I didn't like this one as much as the first. It was better in some ways but worse in a lot more. It almost felt like a Power Rangers movie by way of Albert Pyun whereas the first was more like Guyver. They got pretty ambitious with the action scene and really tried to emulate a lot of anime visual tropes, some of which worked surprisingly well but some were just completely awkward or jarring. There's more gore though which was appreciated. The biggest problems were that it was just too goofy for it's own good and this version of Zeiram looked stupid once it transformed.

One thing I liked was that it's kind of a time capsule of mid 90s Japan. In one of the opening scenes there's a Neo mini cab and a bunch of LaserActive stuff. Felt kind of quaint and nostalgic seeing 1994 everyday japan, especially considering it was in the context of a weirdo sci-fi action movie.