NeoSD MVS/AES - General Consensus?

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
Does it work? Well? Lag? Can it be one of 4 slots in a cab? Anything better coming down pipeline?

Love collecting, but some games so damn hi

Lee

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
There's a lot of stories popping up of people having issues with their NeoSD carts and Terraonion providing zero support. Just a heads up.

I can't speak from personal experience, this is just a trend I've been noticing across different forums and FB groups.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've got an AES & MVS version, haven't had any issues with either. The times I've contacted tech support for a firmware update, it took several days for communication (due to time zones) but they emailed me an update after giving some pics of the serial. This is about my only complaint is you have to register your unit and then give proof...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, I have an AES and MVS Pro, and they work well. The stories of problems strike me as isolated to initial defects rather than long-term issues.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I've got an AES & MVS version, haven't had any issues with either. The times I've contacted tech support for a firmware update, it took several days for communication (due to time zones) but they emailed me an update after giving some pics of the serial. This is about my only complaint is you have to register your unit and then give proof...

Have there been any recent updates, I have a AES cart and although not used for ages all games tried seemed to work fine. Worth updating or not..

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
No updates from TerraOnion in years.

The updates have been on the fan side of things. Particularly the file-building tools from @city41 which made creating files about a million times easier:

how do you use the tool? I convert zipped files and get 4 kb files:(

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
how do you use the tool? I convert zipped files and get 4 kb files:(
Check my instructions for the desktop version here:

The file names need to have the .rom extension with the file type after the dash in the name. So they can't be .bin or .v1, etc. Example:
name-c1.rom
name-c2.rom (etc)
name-m1.rom
name-p1.rom
name-s1.rom
name-v1.rom

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I am currently in the process of trying to beat every neo geo game using the NeoSD MVS. So far I am at Art of Fighting 3 and have no issues. I did experience graphical glitches on my AES. but it may have been due to me using a Daedalus and how the cart sits in the middle and weighs it down.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The NeoSd is solid. It works well. Customer service is hit or miss, not good. I had firmware brick one of my carts. It took a bunch of solid members here on this forum to start a uproar and bring light to my situation. It took almost 2 years but they sent me a replacement.

I haven't been keeping track of the Darksoft Cart so don't know if DS fixed the issues it had.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I am currently in the process of trying to beat every neo geo game using the NeoSD MVS. So far I am at Art of Fighting 3 and have no issues. I did experience graphical glitches on my AES. but it may have been due to me using a Daedalus and how the cart sits in the middle and weighs it down.
My NeoSD Pro AES usually glitches on the menus and in-game at boot on my 5v system. Hitting reset once after the game boots fixes it. Can you try that?

Last edited:

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
The NeoSd is solid. It works well. Customer service is hit or miss, not good. I had firmware brick one of my carts. It took a bunch of solid members here on this forum to start a uproar and bring light to my situation. It took almost 2 years but they sent me a replacement.

I haven't been keeping track of the Darksoft Cart so don't know if DS fixed the issues it had.
As far I as know, DS is coming out with another batch in the near future. He just doesn't know when. He won't confirm if this will be a final batch but there is a batch coming. No mention so far of the glitches. I don't have the current version of the cart myself to confirm.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
My NeoSD Pro AES usually glitches on the menus at boot on my 5v system. Hitting reset once after the game boots fixes it. Can you try that?
I never had a problem with the menu. This is using the latest version of the firmware. It could be an issue with the pro perhaps?

Only issues I've had were flickering which turning off and then on fixes the issue. Then there's graphics issues which fixes when I reseat the cart (weight on the daedalus). Also my AES is 5V as well.

One thing I do notice is that IGR doesn't work correctly since it brings up the unibios menu. I even changed the config and the unibios menu interferes. So I just went with turning off and on the system.

BTW, I never knew this Daedaulus thing existed until recently and I see there's some kind of history I read about it here. Product wise this is solid but the front part to cause these issues suck. Although it's not my console itself so I am happy for that. This thing is one of my babies now, lol.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Has anyone here done an objective comparison of the NeoSD vs Darksoft? My CPS2 multi works perfectly. I don't have any TO products.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
The file names need to have the .rom extension with the file type after the dash in the name. So they can't be .bin or .v1,

Heh, I totally forgot I made this site. I should make it easier to figure out.

You do have to unzip the rom first, but the files don't need to end in .rom. Just as long as "v1", "c2" are in the filenames, it usually figures it out.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Has anyone here done an objective comparison of the NeoSD vs Darksoft? My CPS2 multi works perfectly. I don't have any TO products.

I have had both on MVS and the NeoSD on home cart, I find the DS one more fussy with which MVS board it runs on, the Onion carts both worked flawlessly.

Reactions: wyo
I usually jam a sock under the mvs cart to take the pressure off the cartridge slot. Works pretty good

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The Daedalus works well, but if I were to get another MVS converter I would probably get a Fusion one just for the vertical orientation.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I’ve had NeoSD and NeoSD Pro for both AES and MVS, and they’ve always worked well with two minor exceptions—I find the quit to menu shortcut can be a little spotty, and very occasionally graphics are a bit garbled on boot but hitting reset always fixes them (no need to reflash or reseat the cart).

The shell for the original NeoSD is noticeably cheaper plastic compared to the Pro, and the original AES version is a tight fit in the cart slot. CD support on the Pro is half-baked so don’t pay more for that one thinking you’ll be able to play all NG CD stuff perfectly.

The Darksoft cart looks OK from what I’ve seen, but I think it has a small amount of loading regardless of whether you already flashed the game or not which sucks. I like that the SD boots just like a real cart when you’ve flashed something.