New Masterpiece Transformers announced: Sideswipe, Red Alert and Soundwave

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you pull out your original G1 toy and compare, you might change your mind.

But I think the main thing that may hurt the newer MPs from looking better than they do is their smaller size.

I agree in some ways. the binaltech series they released years ago cost about the same but was a much larger toy with more diecast (almost 3 times the weight) of all these newer Masterpiece characters (the sideswipe, prowl molds etc...don't have any of the previous ones before that). I remember managing to snag a Takara MP-01 for about 95 bucks when it first came out (i think that included shipping) and it felt like a $100 toy, these new ones will cost you close to that amount and they're only about 1/4 of the size/weight.

edit: i say all that but i have Bee and WheelJack on preorder lol

That's my point...the size/material issue. I'm all for a "medium" tier product with higher then base quality...but these are supposed to be cream of the crop...hence the "masterpiece" name. If I'm going to drop $75-100 on a figure, it would be nice if it was larger and better built.

They just seem as if they're getting cheaper is all...and notably smaller.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm kinda surprised they where able to get VW's blessing on making the MP Bumblebee. Is he going to be exclusive to Japan or do you guys think he'll make it to the states? Depending on how he looks when he's finished I might consider picking him up. I'd love to get Soundwave but 150, even with all the extra goodies he comes with is too rich for my blood. I've got the US version of MP Starscream which I love, but I'd love to get Bee, Soundwave, Megs and Optimus. My favorite characters from when I was a kid.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The lack of rubber tyres (and to a lesser extent, die-cast metal) on these newer MP figures really irks me.
Binaltech Convoy - that thing was a heavy mofo.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That's my point...the size/material issue. I'm all for a "medium" tier product with higher then base quality...but these are supposed to be cream of the crop...hence the "masterpiece" name. If I'm going to drop $75-100 on a figure, it would be nice if it was larger and better built.

They just seem as if they're getting cheaper is all...and notably smaller.
The reason they started doing them smaller is so that they can all be in scale with each other (at least as much as they can pull off), which will pretty much be a first for a Transformers line. In-scale in robot form, at least. Everything from Rodimus on was made with this in mind. It's why they did the new Optimus.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Looking forward to picking up Wheeljack when he is released, but will give Bumblebee the bum steer as not really a fan of the little guy.

Still waiting for a MP Shockwave... god, that would be so fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Those "MP" line transformers are beginning to look rather cheap. Wheeljack is neat and all...but outside of the the cost, not much about it screams "masterpiece"...

Soundwave is as good as it gets. Even Black Convoy was rather unimpressive.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Soundwave was my favorite transformer anyways. Going to pick one up someday if I can find it.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I'm kinda surprised they where able to get VW's blessing on making the MP Bumblebee. Is he going to be exclusive to Japan or do you guys think he'll make it to the states?

If Bee's re-issues from the Collection and Encore lines are anything to go by, import only.

The lack of rubber tyres (and to a lesser extent, die-cast metal) on these newer MP figures really irks me.

I could care less what the wheels are made of as long as they roll.

That's been my biggest grip with the Universe/Generations toys with aircraft alt-modes; particularly the seekers.

As for die-cast metal; to quote Optimus Primal; "It's a lost art."

The reason they started doing them smaller is so that they can all be in scale with each other (at least as much as they can pull off), which will pretty much be a first for a Transformers line.

The Transformers Animated toyline did that as well, though there were some exceptions.

Lugnut and Blackout were the most obvious out of scale toys in the line.

Forget to mention I saw a year of the horse MP Optimus at tru the other day when I picked Generatios Scoop and some games. A image for you Optimus completists.

PlatinumEditiontoy-Year_of_the_horse_Optimus_Prime.jpg

Released to celebrate Chinese New Year, Platinum Edition "Year of the Horse" Optimus Prime is a redeco of MP-10 Convoy, featuring darker reds and gold-chromed parts, among other deco changes. He lacks Roller and the Spike Witwicky figurine.

Also, Star Saber from the Victory series is getting a MP sometime down the road.

And as always, the Cons get the short end of the stick as far as new toys go. :lolz:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Looking forward to picking up Wheeljack when he is released, but will give Bumblebee the bum steer as not really a fan of the little guy.

Still waiting for a MP Shockwave... god, that would be so fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't care about Bumblebee except it comes with that Spike in exo-suit. So now I'm tempted. I kind of wish they sold that separately.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I got the Horse Prime. Its fine replacement for a regular MP10 if you can't find one. It doesn't come with Roller but I don't actually play with toys so its not a big deal.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I wouldn't care about Bumblebee except it comes with that Spike in exo-suit. So now I'm tempted. I kind of wish they sold that separately.

Cool beans. He was very popular back in the day, and the Spike toy is a neat touch, but there were other mini-autobots I'd rather get my hands on - Beach Comber, Seaspray, Pipes :)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm sure this is in bad form…but I'm sure the mods will more than likely let it slip.

I'm sitting on some sealed MIB transformers I need to shed…

I have a mint in box Encore 02 Megatron and 04 Starscream as seen in this pic:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...ave+Starscream+Skywarp+Thundercracker+001.JPG

The Megatron does not have an orange tip barrel...

I also have a MIB TRU Soundwave set as well as sealed MIB US release MP Starscream and Skywarp…

I'm not trying to pawn shit…I would just like to sell these. PM me if any of you want to talk turkey...