Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

Pushky

n00b
I was able to get 3, one for a friend one for me and one for my cousin, here in Portugal there is shortage

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Everyone paypal me $10 and I'll pull up to a line of these suckers and smash one in front of them. I'm surprised there's no videos on YT doing that yet. Nintendo fanatics would have my head...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just updated my Raspberry Pi 3 since I have no hope of getting one of these anytime soon. I think I win.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
A $40 soft modded Wii guys... it's all you need.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Quick impressions...

Picture quality is amazing. Presentation is nice. 4 save states per game is nice. Selection is nice. Hardware is well-built. This thing includes both the HDMI and USB cables, which is a fucking miracle these days. Having only played Super Mario Bros so far, my only problem is the input lag. It's a fraction of a second, but it's there. And I don't know why. This is a digital signal. It's not being converted to analog like an actual NES would be.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Quick impressions...

Picture quality is amazing. Presentation is nice. 4 save states per game is nice. Selection is nice. Hardware is well-built. This thing includes both the HDMI and USB cables, which is a fucking miracle these days. Having only played Super Mario Bros so far, my only problem is the input lag. It's a fraction of a second, but it's there. And I don't know why. This is a digital signal. It's not being converted to analog like an actual NES would be.

Maybe it's your TV? I'd hate to find out this thing has input lag on it's own.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Maybe it's your TV? I'd hate to find out this thing has input lag on it's own.

It might be, but I heard of other people complaining about this as well.

For a $60 toy, how could you really go wrong though.

Just don't play punch out.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
a84ru7jlw1xx.png

Sounds like anyone paying more than whatever the stock price for this instead of just waiting a bit is a damn fool

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The same has been said here in Aus, there is a guaranteed second shipment before Xmas and a rumoured third later on.

fake

15 Year Member
Also forgot to mention two other things...

The audio is great. You can really hear more of the top end of the spectrum.

But did anyone else notice that the fireballs are missing their orange layer in Super Mario Bros when they're on a dark background (e.g. castle level)?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
What's up with all the 1 Star Reviews on Amazon?

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Ebay is predictably flooded with these. Lots of predictable ones with like $2000 buy it now's too. Nintendo will make more of these. Even if you can't buy it until after the holidays I say who cares? Do you really need to play Kid Icarus and Mega Man 2 immediately?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'd buy it for the novelty and the look, I can play those games on pretty much everything these days. Hell, I own most of them anyway.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
my only problem is the input lag. It's a fraction of a second, but it's there. And I don't know why. This is a digital signal. It's not being converted to analog like an actual NES would be.

Unless they're getting REALLY tricky with the video hardware, it's going to be at least 16ms behind the real thing, because it's frame-buffered instead of composited in real time. Plus, there's probably some more polling delay on the controllers because they've got an operating system (of some kind) feeding it into the emulator.

Latency is srs bznz.

fake

15 Year Member
Unless they're getting REALLY tricky with the video hardware, it's going to be at least 16ms behind the real thing, because it's frame-buffered instead of composited in real time. Plus, there's probably some more polling delay on the controllers because they've got an operating system (of some kind) feeding it into the emulator.

Latency is srs bznz.

Ah, makes sense. So yeah, it's a fun product, but if you actually want to play these games, I'd say hacked Wii for HDTVs or OG hardware for CRTs.

Quick question for those with the Famicom Everdrive... The Famicom carts had a bunch of different hardware configurations. Are all the chips used in Famicom carts present in the Everdrive cart? Or are there some games that either don't run or don't run as well as others?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Ah, makes sense. So yeah, it's a fun product, but if you actually want to play these games, I'd say hacked Wii for HDTVs or OG hardware for CRTs.

Quick question for those with the Famicom Everdrive... The Famicom carts had a bunch of different hardware configurations. Are all the chips used in Famicom carts present in the Everdrive cart? Or are there some games that either don't run or don't run as well as others?

There are a few games that don't play perfectly, Gimmick!, for one. Someone had to make a custom sound map to get it running right...it's still not perfect.

There are some games that won't play at all like Lagrange Point and a few shooters, too.

It's not perfect but, definitely worth the price.

Jon

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
2016 and they still can't get it right.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I managed to get 2 extensions for the controllers. No luck finding the joysticks, I hope I can manage to find a couple somewhere along the line. I personally couldn't find any issues on delay, maybe it's there but I was fine enough to get to level 22 on Galaga scoring over 200K, Made it all the way to Mr. Dream and got my ass kicked as usual, lol. Megaman 2 was a flurry. I just played the easy clears, haven't played SMB yet but I'm going to soon, also gonna gun for a Super C 1CC. Maybe Gradius as well.

fake

15 Year Member
There are a few games that don't play perfectly, Gimmick!, for one. Someone had to make a custom sound map to get it running right...it's still not perfect.

There are some games that won't play at all like Lagrange Point and a few shooters, too.

It's not perfect but, definitely worth the price.

Jon

Gotcha. That's a bummer about Gimmick! I can't think of many high ticket Fami games other than that which are $100+. Avoiding paying for those would be my main objective in buying the Everdrive. But I'd still use one for games I wanted to try out but not spend the money and shelf space on (I've got 52 Fami carts at the moment).

I managed to get 2 extensions for the controllers. No luck finding the joysticks, I hope I can manage to find a couple somewhere along the line. I personally couldn't find any issues on delay, maybe it's there but I was fine enough to get to level 22 on Galaga scoring over 200K, Made it all the way to Mr. Dream and got my ass kicked as usual, lol. Megaman 2 was a flurry. I just played the easy clears, haven't played SMB yet but I'm going to soon, also gonna gun for a Super C 1CC. Maybe Gradius as well.

My TV doesn't have a "gaming mode". I have a 1080p 26" Vizio. I think because it's so small, they figured they didn't need to put many features into it. This was the only small TV I could find that was 1080p, which I wanted in the event that I bought a PS4.

Last edited:

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For anyone curious about the edge stick, I decided to open it up. The a and b buttons are pretty terrible, joystick is ok. But I opened the case and the buttons look like a perfect swap to seimitsu or sanwa snap ins and already have the interconnects so it should be a straight swap. And the joystick can definitely be modded as well. For $25 I think it's worth it.
IMG_9957.JPG
IMG_9956.JPG