Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My copy of the book Playing With Power: NES Classics came yesterday and it's an utter disappointment. The book was hyped like it was going to be this history of the NES type deal...and it's basically a half-assed strategy guide for the mini's selection of games that reads like it was culled from old Nintendo Power articles, complete with the usual, "Hey, you've got X number of levels left, we'll leave them as a surprise" crap. A reprint of the awesome NES Game Atlas would've been far more useful.

As for actual new content, there are maybe two dozen pages of historical content about the NES and its games scattered around the book. There are two pages about the NES's major motherboard parts and how the various chips used worked, two pages on how games were programmed, two pages of some of the peripherals, and then there are 2 to 4 page sections that list of important Nintendo-released games that came out during whichever years. This content is not worth buying this book for as there is so little of it.

Agreed, got my copy the other day as well and was sorely disappointed. Just to give an idea how pathetic this book is, they put multiple pages of strategy for Mario Bros. Arcade. They couldn't have thought of something better to dedicate 8 fucking pages to!?

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I mean at 1000 bucks, you could easily find an NES console, controllers, and the games included.

Even at 500 you're pushing your luck. I saw a CL ad for about 500 here.

I just don't get scalpers doing this. Nintendo has said they're doing multiple shipments so these guys are just going to be left high and dry. I'm probably over estimating the intelligence of the Nintendo fanboy though.

Most stores have a flexible return policy, so they'll likely just return unsold copies after a few weeks if they can't be flipped. Amazing the effort people go to for a few bucks.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm just going to wait for this to get re-relased. I'm not even going to pay these scalper prices for this. Fuck these greedy fucking flippers.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
These things aren't going to be worth buying until they're fully hacked anyway. Supposedly they have 256mb of internal flash memory, which is more than enough to store the entire NES+Famicom library.

Nah, my PowerPak files add up to 280MB. Still, I have loads of hacks and stuff.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm just going to wait for this to get re-relased. I'm not even going to pay these scalper prices for this. Fuck these greedy fucking flippers.

If these things continue to sell like that, Nintendo will probably continue to pump them out. They have to be cheaper than hell to make...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yea BkUN what's with the av/sig Gamecube combo you got going on

-SD-

Camel Slug
LQpcoWA.jpg

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
EG brought his over.

The controllers are actual size - had a spare "super controller" that clips on the controller and it fits EXACTLY like it should. The d-pad was a little stiff, but we were raised on worn-in, mushy d-pads on NES controllers.

I thought they would have gone with re-translating CVII, but it's exactly the same as the cart. A whole new generation of gamers can be fucking frustrated trying to figure out this game (ITS SO GOOD doh....).

The sound is fine, the Pixel Perfect option is fine, the other filters they have (scanlines, 4:3) are garbage.

The UI and the music is nice. The games sound like they should.

If this were in a Walgreens or CVS as an impulse buy, I'd buy it. Right now? No.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If this were in a Walgreens or CVS as an impulse buy, I'd buy it. Right now? No.

This is pretty much where I'm at. If I see it in a store I'll probably grab it, but I'm not losing any sleep over the current outage. The NES frenzy did get me spending a good amount of time playing NES games either through my AV Famicom or my Raspberry Pi, I had some good times.

By the way, a certain furry resident turned me onto this thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NE...t&_soffSubType=SALE_EVENT&_trksid=p5731.m3795

It's a Chinese NES2 clone with AV out, and it comes with one of the best multicarts I've ever seen. The controller is garbage but regular NES pads work. Gametech did a teardown of it and there's a hidden Famicom slot on the inside, so you could take the PCB out of the multicart, put it in there and you'd have a system that plays your NES carts when you insert them into the top, or boots the multicart if no game is inserted. I'm not ordering one, but I thought it was very cool.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is pretty much where I'm at. If I see it in a store I'll probably grab it, but I'm not losing any sleep over the current outage. The NES frenzy did get me spending a good amount of time playing NES games either through my AV Famicom or my Raspberry Pi, I had some good times.

By the way, a certain furry resident turned me onto this thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NE...t&_soffSubType=SALE_EVENT&_trksid=p5731.m3795

It's a Chinese NES2 clone with AV out, and it comes with one of the best multicarts I've ever seen. The controller is garbage but regular NES pads work. Gametech did a teardown of it and there's a hidden Famicom slot on the inside, so you could take the PCB out of the multicart, put it in there and you'd have a system that plays your NES carts when you insert them into the top, or boots the multicart if no game is inserted. I'm not ordering one, but I thought it was very cool.

Damn thats tempting

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
No, not that handheld POS. :eek_2: / :lolz::

You mean, the Neo Geo X?

A little mini-AES unit full of roms that comes with a couple of controllers for $60, just like the Nintendo-mini.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Thanks for that piece Filthy, I felt the same from outside eyes seeing things online and that backs it up nicely. I'm in, just not $60 in. When I can use my Amazon credit eventually it's bought.

Gohan...Damn! Where'd you hear of that thing and find it on ebay that's awesome. I don't care much about the deck, I have a modded top loader, but that cartridge is sick! That's even better than that badass 150in1 Super Games cart. It has stuff it even lacks like Bomberman 2 and Bubble Bobble 2, Duck Tales 2, Chip n Dale 2. I'd buy that cart. Can you buy that cart alone? I must investigate as that's a big saver.

Kid Panda ordered it? Sweet. I have to know all about that thing and the cart. I'm curious if those Japanese games listed in english are in fact translated.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/100-Best-Games-Cartridge-Nintendo-DS/dp/B01LTGEB1C Nevermind found this on amazon. All those Japanese games are english translated patched to play. There are some solid RPGs on there and other adventure games too (FF1-3, Time Diver Eon, etc.)

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I learned about it from Kid Panda. I thought about picking up the cart alone as well, but for the price you might as well just get the system bundle. I didn't know the Japanese games were English Translated! One thing about RPGs though, on these multicarts generally you can only save one game at a time. So if you swap to a new RPG your old save will be gone. I don't consider this a problem, I'm not likely to be playing multiple RPGs at once.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I looked it up a moment ago further on aliexpress, it's $25 shipped there $35 from a US seller on ebay. Depends if you want to wait 4-6wks on the slow boat from China and want to give that site a credit card.

They do infact seem to use the original board the awesome Super 150in1 does. It has a battery, only 1 save. ANY game marked either as with a battery or oddly was coded with hooks for SRAM (strangely stuff like SMB3?!) will wipe the save game. If you're stuck on playing Earthbound or FF1-3, Over Horizon and a few others, keep a printed no fly list or lose your work. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/The..._1&btsid=0d9a9773-e243-4895-99db-8d5530e9c24e

It lacks little of the 150in1, notably the Kunio games from Japan only, but the tradeoff in $100+ dollar games included more than covers that loss.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
The famicom version is 12 bucks from ali, so I ordered one because 12 bucks :-)

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I really should consider such things as I've had a honeybee due to a dumb luck auction pickup probably 5 years back now.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I've had a little time to spend with the mini, and I think if I were in charge of the game lineup, to have the broadest appeal, this is what I'd change.

Lose:

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Climber
Super C
Balloon Fight
Galaga

Add:

Contra
Tetris (Nintendo)
Ice Hockey
DuckTales