Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's great news! Well worth the 25 bucks I say. I'll definitely be in the hunt for 2, thanks for sharing!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
For anyone curious about the edge stick, I decided to open it up. The a and b buttons are pretty terrible, joystick is ok. But I opened the case and the buttons look like a perfect swap to seimitsu or sanwa snap ins and already have the interconnects so it should be a straight swap. And the joystick can definitely be modded as well. For $25 I think it's worth it.
View attachment 40509
View attachment 40510

That stick looks like a Sanwa JLF clone.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Gotcha. That's a bummer about Gimmick! I can't think of many high ticket Fami games other than that which are $100+. Avoiding paying for those would be my main objective in buying the Everdrive. But I'd still use one for games I wanted to try out but not spend the money and shelf space on (I've got 52 Fami carts at the moment).

Gimmick was basically unplayable before adding the sound map. There wasn't a sound effect for jumping, making a star, or, collecting an item. There was no expansion audio, at all.

Now, the only real issue is the expansion audio isn't as loud as a legit cart. The other sound effects are all there, though. Once they fix that, people should (hopefully) start unloading their real carts.

Jon

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
My copy of the book Playing With Power: NES Classics came yesterday and it's an utter disappointment. The book was hyped like it was going to be this history of the NES type deal...and it's basically a half-assed strategy guide for the mini's selection of games that reads like it was culled from old Nintendo Power articles, complete with the usual, "Hey, you've got X number of levels left, we'll leave them as a surprise" crap. A reprint of the awesome NES Game Atlas would've been far more useful.

As for actual new content, there are maybe two dozen pages of historical content about the NES and its games scattered around the book. There are two pages about the NES's major motherboard parts and how the various chips used worked, two pages on how games were programmed, two pages of some of the peripherals, and then there are 2 to 4 page sections that list of important Nintendo-released games that came out during whichever years. This content is not worth buying this book for as there is so little of it.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
For anyone curious about the edge stick, I decided to open it up. The a and b buttons are pretty terrible, joystick is ok. But I opened the case and the buttons look like a perfect swap to seimitsu or sanwa snap ins and already have the interconnects so it should be a straight swap. And the joystick can definitely be modded as well. For $25 I think it's worth it.
View attachment 40509
View attachment 40510

I bought one of these sticks and a mini, and it straight up doesn't work on the mini. Others I've read reporting the same thing. I'm returning it today. Buyer beware.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh man this sucks, could still do for a decent mod. I dunno, this is discouraging.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I bought one of these sticks and a mini, and it straight up doesn't work on the mini. Others I've read reporting the same thing. I'm returning it today. Buyer beware.

I was reading this in reviews on Amazon. I wasn't sure if it was just people being annoyed at not being able to get the NES Classic lashing out, or if it didn't actually work. Thanks for the review, I guess I'll steer clear of that. Shame really, that the Big N didn't think to release something like that as well.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Weak, that thing looks like it could be pretty cool, especially modded.

-SD-

Camel Slug
My copy of the book Playing With Power: NES Classics came yesterday and it's an utter disappointment. The book was hyped like it was going to be this history of the NES type deal...and it's basically a half-assed strategy guide for the mini's selection of games that reads like it was culled from old Nintendo Power articles.....

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the book.... just cancelled my pre-order on Amazon.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
79 euros is the listed price over here.
not getting one though.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've been messing around with the Famicom mini, which really hasn't been too bad at all for the price.

Following up from chat earlier, here is a comparison for the tiny controller (NES Classic ones are identical to the original). Somehow, it's still fairly playable like this. Reminds of the GameBoy Advance Micro.

FYNofvc.jpg

One more specifically for us folks here.

AZclRRX.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've been messing around with the Famicom mini, which really hasn't been too bad at all for the price.

Following up from chat earlier, here is a comparison for the tiny controller (NES Classic ones are identical to the original). Somehow, it's still fairly playable like this. Reminds of the GameBoy Advance Micro.

FYNofvc.jpg

AZclRRX.jpg

That's way too small for my hands.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member

FYNofvc.jpg

AZclRRX.jpg

That's comically tiny. :lolz:

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I mean at 1000 bucks, you could easily find an NES console, controllers, and the games included.

Even at 500 you're pushing your luck. I saw a CL ad for about 500 here.

I just don't get scalpers doing this. Nintendo has said they're doing multiple shipments so these guys are just going to be left high and dry. I'm probably over estimating the intelligence of the Nintendo fanboy though.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
These things aren't going to be worth buying until they're fully hacked anyway. Supposedly they have 256mb of internal flash memory, which is more than enough to store the entire NES+Famicom library.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Are the NES Classic controllers also smaller than the originals, or just the Fami ones?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Are the NES Classic controllers also smaller than the originals, or just the Fami ones?

They had to make the Famicom Mini ones smaller so they could fit on the system. The NES mini controllers are regular size.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy

That sucks. I read the same all over the place but I saw that it works with the wii/wii u virtual console. I'll have to try it out and see.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Have any tech people opened this up to see what chips it uses?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
They had to make the Famicom Mini ones smaller so they could fit on the system. The NES mini controllers are regular size.

It shouldn't be that hard to install a pair of extension cable ports in place of the mini controllers, right? Seems like the obvious mod to use a normal sized controller.

Also curious when someone will install the Famicom board inside the NES shell...and vice versa.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Where are you going to find a Ouya for $60 now? Even they go for some silly after market prices on ebay. >_>

Last edited: