OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m watching Generations right now. Saucer section just crashed.

Movie hasn’t been terrible, honestly. Just meh. A bit boring.

I forgot the Duras sisters died in this lol.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
You're projecting if you think your "3 is good" opinion is shared by the majority. And IV is a fucking joke. Literally. It's the first (but unfortunately not last) ST movie where they are clearly way too old and out of shape, and try to distract the audience from that by playing for laughs. It's practically parody. All you'd have to do is change the names Kirk and Spock to Krak and Spunk, and you could run the Voyage Home script in Mad Magazine, largely unaltered. At best, it's a light-hearted reunion tour. An attempted (but undeserved) final victory lap.

And I did enjoy First Contact when it first came out. Finally, an actual TNG movie after the disaster that was Generations. But it doesn't hold up at all.

I have a feeling a lot of people delude themselves into defending these movies so they can support their retarded fan theory of "All the even number ones are good!"

But we see the exact same thing in Star Wars fandom. People desperately trying to convince themselves Attack of the Clones or Rise of Skywalker or whatever were actually good. I used to do a little prequel defense back in the day, too, so I get it. But those days are over, Stanley.
III is generally considered to be good amongst the majority of the fandom. Not great, but good. The best of the odd numbered ones (though in my own opinion, I think the 4K Director's Cut gives it a run for it's money). Not projecting, that's just general opinion I've seen on the intarwebz and in person discussions with other hardcore Trek nerds over the past couple decades. It also got solid reviews from critics, mostly in line with fan opinion of it being good, but a step down from II.

What IYO doesn't hold up with First Contact?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Generations wasn’t too bad. Script seems a bit half baked. Takes too long to figure out what the threat is and then Picard and Kirk solve it in 15 minutes. And what the fuck is the nexus? I see what they were doing with the death of picards brother and nephew and his own unresolved feelings s about his life, but seems like he should have got in the Nexus much earlier. Whatevs.

Maybe I’m a quarter Vulcan and just repressing my emotions. I just don’t feel too strongly about this film one way or other. It’s better than Star Trek V, lol.

Soundtrack is interesting. Pretty sure there are themes we hear in DS9 and Voyager.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I will say that when we were kids, we constantly used to quote the line where Kirk kicks Doc Brown off the cliff. I...have HAD...enough of.........YOU!

But whenever I saw that scene, I was always afraid that when Doc Brown was beating Kirk's head against the rock, he was accidentally going to shake Shatner's wig off.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
III gets lumped into that unfairly. It's definitely a good movie and only suffers from being the first followup to II which set the gold standard. Nemesis also breaks that pattern as it wasn't all that great, though that's mostly due to severe cuts that gutted some really important character/plot scenes.

Insurrection is my least favorite of all the movies, just barely beating V.
The first Star Trek was kind of good (but overly long), sort of like Star Trek with Space Odyssey effects. It was the only one that Roddenberry had a lot of involvement with. III is good IMO. II, III, and IV were supposed to be a trilogy of films. V is better than Insurrection.

You would have thought they could have added the deleted scenes back to Nemesis for DVD and blu-ray, as an extended version of the film. But you could also say that about other movies. Nemesis was originally supposed to have the return of Wesley Crusher to Next Gen.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I remember being vaguely repulsed by the Duras sisters' kleavage, which is very out of character for me

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I remember being vaguely repulsed by the Duras sisters' kleavage, which is very out of character for me
I felt the opposite.
They did? wow. i have no memory of that either.
I honestly forgot entirely their were Klingons in this. I am pretty sure their bird of prey exploding is recycled from a previous film.

I also did not remember that Guinan of all people played was in Generations either.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I felt the opposite.

I honestly forgot entirely their were Klingons in this. I am pretty sure their bird of prey exploding is recycled from a previous film.

I also did not remember that Guinan of all people played was in Generations either.
Yup, from the one right before it. I remember being really disappointed by that when I first saw Generations in the theaters. Really, that whole ship battle was stupid because the Enterprise could smoke that Bird of Prey in seconds even with no effective shields. Oh well, plot I guess.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched the first four episodes of TNG the other night after STK mentioned encounter at farpoint.

Absolutely fascinating to see the performances each actor gives before they’ve really “found” their character. Data is really interesting early on.

Also I don’t think I’d ever seen the episode “code of honor” where Yar is abducted. What a wacky, straight out of TOS episode.

Same I guess for the 2nd episode where everyone is “intoxocated.” There is some solid Yar underboob there for about 5 seconds.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Other interesting early TNG stuff is the prominence of Troi. She’s basically a main character initially. Too bad in the pilot and most of the series she wore clown shit. She really did appear more serious after she started wearing the actual uniform.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Data was definitely weird from the start. They had him grin like an idiot when he picked up Wesley out of the water in the holodeck, which made no sense. Callback to when Spock grinned like an idiot in The Cage pilot before they figured out what Vulcans were? Probably giving them too much credit...

He also had a creepy vibe that I'm glad they did away with fairly quickly.

Code of Honor is considered to be the worst TNG episode both for just being awful, and flagrantly racist. The cast is ashamed to have ever done it and didn't feel right about it even when they had shot it.

Yar got her some fully functional Data.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In Nimoy’s Book “I am Spock” he talks about figuring out the Spock character and even which episode he feels Spock was truly “born” in. That’s also what prompted me to watch some early TNG.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s clear whoever is in charge of Strange New Worlds actually understands Star Trek.

The opening scene in ep5, wow. You hear that music from TOS?

The body switch, classic goofy trek, but a great “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes” episode.

A fun episode all around and some good Trek too, especially at the end.

Anson Mount really is excellent, kudos to his acting and whoever is writing his character.

T’pring fills me with…illogical emotions :emb:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It’s clear whoever is in charge of Strange New Worlds actually understands Star Trek.

The opening scene in ep5, wow. You hear that music from TOS?

The body switch, classic goofy trek, but a great “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes” episode.

A fun episode all around and some good Trek too, especially at the end.

Anson Mount really is excellent, kudos to his acting and whoever is writing his character.

T’pring fills me with…illogical emotions :emb:
Would you say Strange New Worlds is old-school Star Trek? I mean, made (written) the way they used to be? Where it actually makes you think (it has something intelligent to say).
Next Gen was proof that you could do it that way, and still attract a big audience.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Would you say Strange New Worlds is old-school Star Trek? I mean, made (written) the way they used to be? Where it actually makes you think (it has something intelligent to say).

Yes, in as far as the good episodes of TOS do.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
“Data, it never happened. LOL.”

The fact that Data was under the spell of the intoxication was absolutely ridiculous. Episode was 11/10.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Next Gen was proof that you could do it that way, and still attract a big audience.
It definitely is, and intentionally so. It really feels like TOS transported itself from the 60s into the modern day with a much bigger budget and much, much better SFX and sets, while also still having it's own vibe and feel.

5 out of 5 stellar episodes so far. I guarantee you that future seasons of other series will fall more in line with SNW's way of doing things considering how much positive feedback and ratings it's been getting. season 3 of Picard excluded since that's already been filmed and is deep in post prod.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So for some time prior to the full script being done Star Trek IV was going to feature Eddie Murphy. Can you imagine?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So for some time prior to the full script being done Star Trek IV was going to feature Eddie Murphy. Can you imagine?
Of course I can, because it wouldn't have been much different than what we got. Bunch of jokes to hide the fact you're telling a 2 minute stupid story stretched out to 2 hours.

In fact, it's funny you point that out, because even before knowing that, I almost compared Star Trek 4 to Superman 3.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
And yet it was the highest grossing Trek film, lol.

I’m just imagining a world where Star Trek IV, Coming to America, and Trading Places all exist in the same shared universe.

Apparently Eddie is a Trek fan.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And yet it was the highest grossing Trek film, lol.
Of course, because it was created for the lowest common denominator. A movie any idiot could enjoy. You didn't even have to like Star Trek or science fiction or anything, really. Everybody remember where we parked. It could have been an In Living Color sketch starring Jim Carey as Kirk. Self parody. Star Trek fans could enjoy seeing their favorite actors pretend to be their favorite characters, and people who hated Star Trek could enjoy the movie making fun of this nerdy tv show they never liked. So yeah, it doesn't surprise me in the least that Star Trek 4 grossed the highest.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We need STK’s official ranking of all Trek Movies from best to worst, including the Chris Pine Trek franchise.