OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
No. Dude acts like he struggles mightily to pronounce every word in the english language. Like each word causes him serious pain to spit out.
Hes quite possibly THE worst actor on Trek by a mile.

Even in the first episode (or second whichever its a two parter) there's a part where he's in the, I dunno wormhole realm or whatever the fuck and he sees his dead wife. And he screeches out in what I can only assume to be an attempt of "joy" and he has this weird "hee hoo!!!!!!!!!!" sound that his voice makes, but his face barely moves a muscle.

Shit actor. Shit character.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Well that was quite the finale. After that post-credits scene, we bloody-well better get that spin-off.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Well that was quite the finale. After that post-credits scene, we bloody-well better get that spin-off.
Agreed. I'm really jealous of the folks that got to see it in IMAX yesterday. What a ride. Absolutely nailed it. Give us our spin-off damn it.

I really can't see how Paramount/CBS wouldn't after Picard broke the top 10 streaming list last week (the first Trek show to do so), and the crazy amount of hype and positive reaction from the fans begging for more Terry Trek. When you have a series that popular that both the haters and lovers of Nu Trek being totally on board, you'd be insane not to greenlight another go.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Please call it Star Trek: Pirate, Thief, and Spy

We have to be getting this as a new show, right???

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Jeebus - finally watched. Emotionally drained. Amazing - nailed it. So glad this thread got me to watch it. Definitely need that spinoff, even though the actress playing Raff is still annoying.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Were they to do a spin-off I imagine they could drop the whole addict/boo-hoo my family hates me schtick from her character. I’d expect them to drop some of the stuff 7 has dealt with as well, particularly storylines about “belonging.” Which, I guess is really what the season was about to an extent.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Were they to do a spin-off I imagine they could drop the whole addict/boo-hoo my family hates me schtick from her character. I’d expect them to drop some of the stuff 7 has dealt with as well, particularly storylines about “belonging.” Which, I guess is really what the season was about to an extent.

also the token lesbian :rolleyes:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Finished it yesterday, I thought it was pretty decent. They could've done something other than the Borg again, but whatever. See the D's bridge as a proper set again was nice
I'm surprised at the lack of woke garbage and anti-white male rhetoric though, you can tell that there was someone else in charge this time around.
Too bad we had to go through two seasons of absolute fucking schlock to get there.
Raffi still sucks.

Hes quite possibly THE worst actor on Trek by a mile.

Even in the first episode (or second whichever its a two parter) there's a part where he's in the, I dunno wormhole realm or whatever the fuck and he sees his dead wife. And he screeches out in what I can only assume to be an attempt of "joy" and he has this weird "hee hoo!!!!!!!!!!" sound that his voice makes, but his face barely moves a muscle.

Shit actor. Shit character.
I'll give you that, the acting in the first couple of episodes was pretty bad, but he got better fast.
No, the worst actor in trek for me is still Marina Sirtis.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Avery Brooks has the worst line delivery in the franchise, and that's saying something in a franchise that includes Shatner. There's nothing wrong with Brooks as a person and his facial expressions and body language are on point, but his line delivery is just ridiculously awkward.

Heseemstorandomly CHANGE THE VOLUME AND CADENCE ofthewordsthathesays AND IT MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO TAKE ANYTHING hesaysseriously

It's an interesting change of pace from Jean-Luc Picard in TNG, who is perhaps more serene and subdued. Keeps the audience on their toes.

My favourite characters in DS9 are Odo, Kira Nerys, Gul Dukat and Elim Garak.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So…are the real Borg finally gone? Or am I just misunderstanding.

Fygee

20 Year Member
That would seem to be the case. Or at least the Borg as we've known them.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I'm just in total and absolute disbelief how good this season was. After Voyager ruined The Borg as a character Picard restored my fear of the character. And those battle shots of the D, that angle of a entire Galaxy class swooping down over Picard and son head to save the day. Seeing Earth colossal Star Base fall and call out May-Day, being heart broken seeing a ship named after Sulu destroy her sister ship Excelsior, listening to the Borg talk some new scary shit

A message to those who resist
Your armada has been added to our own
Your weak and willful
Will soon be eliminated
Your strongest have already been assimilated
We are borg
Star fleet is now borg

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I enjoyed Data flying the millennium falcon to destroy the second Death Star.

Equally enjoyed Jean-LUKE showing his son the good within himself to overthrow the Borg Emperor.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I enjoyed Data flying the millennium falcon to destroy the second Death Star.

Equally enjoyed Jean-LUKE showing his son the good within himself to overthrow the Borg Emperor.
There's an amazing version of that scene set to Beastie Boys' Sabotage that I think should have actually been in the show.

The D as she was meant to always be, and sometimes was on the show. Fast, powerful, and badass. A far cry from Generations where for stupid plot reasons she couldn't fight her way out of a paper bag.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There's an amazing version of that scene set to Beastie Boys' Sabotage that I think should have actually been in the show.
Yeah, that's exactly what we need when Star Trek is finally starting to get back on track: A callback to the JJ Abrams movies we've all finally started putting behind us. Great thinking.

I finally watched the final 2 episodes. They were fine, but not as good as earlier episodes in the season. Still much better than the first two seasons, for whatever little that's worth. Still fits in that space between being TNG season 8 or a sequel to the garbage TNG movies, but unfortunately ends up feeling closer to the movies by the time the season wraps.

Things I liked: Picard mentioning the carpet. The producers resisting the urge to keep the Enterprise-D's bridge dimly lit to match the aesthetic of the rest of the show.

I did not, however, like Data flying the Enterprise-D into the Borg cube Millenium Falcon-style. Because that was so obviously what it was. Data even made an oblique reference to odds. It felt like Alex Kurtzman sticking his unwanted two cents in one last time. I also did not like them rechristening the Titan, which I guess is a nitpick, but why do that? You'd think that a starship that fought alone against the entire fleet to protect the Earth would be celebrated, not renamed.

And I feel like I missed something. An episode or a season or something. They mention at one point that the Borg haven't been seen for 10 years. WTF? They were seen last season. Even if history got rewritten with the season 2 time shenanighans, doesn't the season end with the Borg petitioning to join the Federation? Does season 3 somehow take place 10 years after season 2? What am I missing?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah, that's exactly what we need when Star Trek is finally starting to get back on track: A callback to the JJ Abrams movies we've all finally started putting behind us. Great thinking.

I finally watched the final 2 episodes. They were fine, but not as good as earlier episodes in the season. Still much better than the first two seasons, for whatever little that's worth. Still fits in that space between being TNG season 8 or a sequel to the garbage TNG movies, but unfortunately ends up feeling closer to the movies by the time the season wraps.

Things I liked: Picard mentioning the carpet. The producers resisting the urge to keep the Enterprise-D's bridge dimly lit to match the aesthetic of the rest of the show.

I did not, however, like Data flying the Enterprise-D into the Borg cube Millenium Falcon-style. Because that was so obviously what it was. Data even made an oblique reference to odds. It felt like Alex Kurtzman sticking his unwanted two cents in one last time. I also did not like them rechristening the Titan, which I guess is a nitpick, but why do that? You'd think that a starship that fought alone against the entire fleet to protect the Earth would be celebrated, not renamed.

And I feel like I missed something. An episode or a season or something. They mention at one point that the Borg haven't been seen for 10 years. WTF? They were seen last season. Even if history got rewritten with the season 2 time shenanighans, doesn't the season end with the Borg petitioning to join the Federation? Does season 3 somehow take place 10 years after season 2? What am I missing?

Good points - I never watched S1 & 2, and it sounds like I might've been the target audience. I'm over 40, loved TNG and wanted nothing to do with this stupid show. But they hooked me (or you guys posting about it rather) with the nostalgia and throwback and I gave it a try. I didn't give 2 shits about what happened in previous seasons. The less connections the better for me and I feel like it was written to accommodate that?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

You aren’t missing anything. I think they hand waved away any of what should have been lasting effects from the first two seasons.

I too was initially confused but there are (were) apparently two collectives. The “real” Borg and the Jurati Borg.

I guess it was easier to draw a distinction between the two groups. If the Jurati Borg replaced the collective then none of the encounters with the “real” Borg as seen in TNG and VOY would have happened? But that’s just more bad time travel stuff. I think S2 was really the weakest of the seasons. Worth it only for the payoff that was Picard’s interactions with Q.

I am curious about the 10 year thing. I’m not sure if that refers to a specific event? If it was I don’t think it’s something we saw in a film or on TV. I figured the last time the Federation saw the Borg was when Voyager made it home, and that was in the 2370s I think.

Oh well I don’t want to think too hard about it.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Upon watching the finale I didn’t realize they rechristened the Titan as the Enterprise. I just figured they gave 7 of 9 command of a refit Enterprise.

We never see the Enterprise F (I guess it’s in Star Trek Online….). I figured the G was a refit of the F in the way we see the Enterprise A “refit” in TMP.

Guess I was wrong lol.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Upon watching the finale I didn’t realize they rechristened the Titan as the Enterprise. I just figured they gave 7 of 9 command of a refit Enterprise.

We never see the Enterprise F (I guess it’s in Star Trek Online….). I figured the G was a refit of the F in the way we see the Enterprise A “refit” in TMP.

Guess I was wrong lol.
The Enterprise name doesn't even hold any meaning for Seven. Clearly the only reason to do it is because they want the main characters' ship to be named the Enterprise should this blatant attempt to float the idea of a spinoff series be somehow wildly successful with audiences.

Raffi being part of the crew is almost enough by itself to make me not want it to happen. But then that throw away dialogue about Star Fleet "fast tracking" Jack's career from criminal-off-the-street to bridge crew in some unspecified capacity (You figure it out later!) within minutes of him signing up was a little eye-rolling, too.

I really should stop thinking about this. I should just enjoy it as an experience, and not as a story meant to be thought about or revisited after it's done. Let go of the plot, focus on the Enterprise-D carpet and the characters playing cards at the end.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
feels like they ignored it just like they ignored most of the stupid, terrible shit from the previous two seasons (and I'm all for it)

also space elf elnor got killed when the excelsior got destroyed and nobody cared and they brought Q back.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
feels like they ignored it just like they ignored most of the stupid, terrible shit from the previous two seasons (and I'm all for it)

also space elf elnor got killed when the excelsior got destroyed and nobody cared and they brought Q back.
Q said not to think of it linearly, meaning his appearance in this episode happened earlier than season 2 from his perspective. He's always moving around in time, so this just means him interacting with Jack happens at some point -- maybe years or even thousands of centuries -- before he dies.

But yeah, there's a ton of other stuff that makes it seem like the season 3 showrunner and writers hate Alex Kutzman as much as the fans do.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
well yeah, but they made such a big deal about Q dying in the last season. you could argue that the whole season 2 was more or less about him holding humanity's last trial before his eventual passing. hell, they even brought data back and made him "human".

but I'm glad
I'm glad that I didn't need to see this neelix-borg queen garbage again:
View attachment Jurati_Borg_Queen.webp
or any of the other awful characters from the previous two (expect rafii, but what can you do?).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Raffi was by far the worst, most insufferable one, though. I'd rather they had kept any other season 1/2 character, maybe even all the other characters, rather than her. Jurati was bad, but only 80% as bad as Raffi. Jurati was irritating in a Barclay sort of way, which is not new to Star Trek.