G Gundam
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Fist of the North Star
Hellsing
Ruroni Kenshin
Dragon Ball and Z

And it maybe later but I love Samurai Champloo. Baki the Grappler as well.

Those just off the top of my head.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
As for my gateway, it was Robotech, which led to:

Fist of the Northstar
Bubblegum Crisis
Madox O1
Megazone 23 (knew about it from the Robotech movie, which was Megazone 23 with a changed story)
Iczer One
Guyver
Vampire Hunter D
Mobile Suit Gundam (started with movie 1 raw and didn't understand it at all but it felt special somehow)
Macross: Do You Remember Love
Akira
Gundam: Char's Counterattack
3X3 Eyes
Patlabor
Appleseed
Riding Bean

There are a lot more, but those are the most memorable ones coming off the top of my head.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Agreed completely!

Im not big on current anime. Ive watched a few episodes of stuff like Bleach and Naruto, and while they are ok I guess, I don't have the energy to watch another 300+ episode run of a show. I just can't. Also, most anime now is drawn with all characters looking really effeminate. I miss stuff like:

Bubblegum Crisis
Akira
Genocyber
Wicked City
Most of Evangelion
Patlabor
Robot Carnival
Harmageddon
Lensman
Green Legend Ran
Fist of the North Star
Appleseed
Guyver
DBZ (and dragon ball, but never really was a fan of dragon ball)
GITS
Gunbuster
Robotech (or Macross if you're a purist)

As far as other new stuff, I haven't finished Attack on Titan yet, and while the first season of Knights of Sidonia was interesting (reminded me a lot of Robotech and the new Battlestar Galactica), the 2nd season got really really "current anime" for me.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
vampire princess,slayers and devil hunter yohko haven't been mentioned yet.

oh yeah dagger of kamui is supposed to be good...I haven't watched mine yet despite trying twice.

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I recommend Escaflowne; great fantasy/mecha anime. I remember watching it briefly on Fox back in the day when they had a short lived fad with anime. I bought the actual series years later.

Dagger of Kamui and Blood Reign are both older titles people should check out.

I like what others have mentioned, specially Dragon Ball, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Ninja Scroll, which pretty much got me into anime.

Back then, finding anime in a store or even someone in school to lend you stuff was pretty rare. I paid so much for my Trigun VHS tapes. It was a treat to look at GameFan magazines and read their reviews and look at the pictures.

I find much anime now to be shit. I don't know how kids like this stuff.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
final-fantasy-legend-of-the-crystals.jpg

this one just walking on down the anime aisle in blockbuster and later hollywood video

always looking, always wondering

but thinking hmmm, don't wanna waste my rental for the week

so i always got something else

a part of me regrets not renting it

i'm sure i wouldn't like it now.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
vampire princess,slayers and devil hunter yohko haven't been mentioned yet.

oh yeah dagger of kamui is supposed to be good...I haven't watched mine yet despite trying twice.

Dagger of Kamui is awesome. NOTHING like the manga but it's still an excellent film. Directed by Rin Taro, one of the great anime directors of the 80s. Watch the scene when Tenkai's expression changes from rage to peace near the end. It's so subtle but such a masterful bit of animation. Also, a fucking amazing soundtrack for that one. Worth your time.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
If you like Ninja scroll check out Sword for Truth.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If we're talking 90s anime, I would be remiss to not mention the anime that gave me my online handle:

Still sends chills through me every time I see it.

If you haven't watched all seven parts of this anime, you are a fucking heathen and you're not invited to my neo gathering until you take it in.

Your choice. Be like Neo Alec or come in the door and be welcomed.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
If we're talking 90s anime, I would be remiss to not mention the anime that gave me my online handle:

Still sends chills through me every time I see it.

If you haven't watched all seven parts of this anime, you are a fucking heathen and you're not invited to my neo gathering until you take it in.

Your choice. Be like Neo Alec or come in the door and be welcomed.

I look forward to watching it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
any one here a crying freeman fan?.

Attachments

• tumblr_nmn5ijhggH1r21i5xo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmn5ijhggH1r21i5xo1_500.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 74d3e50166c8caa92ae4af805a7652b1.jpg
    74d3e50166c8caa92ae4af805a7652b1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 58

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I recommend Escaflowne; great fantasy/mecha anime. I remember watching it briefly on Fox back in the day when they had a short lived fad with anime. I bought the actual series years later.

Dagger of Kamui and Blood Reign are both older titles people should check out.

I like what others have mentioned, specially Dragon Ball, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Ninja Scroll, which pretty much got me into anime.

I find much anime now to be shit. I don't know how kids like this stuff.

Forgot Trigun. That was a pretty good one. Another one that's great is Outlaw Star.

I haven't followed new anime since Samurai Champloo. I don't watch the stuff either - just old anime. I would rather spend my time coloring or playing JRPGs.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Forgot Trigun. That was a pretty good one. Another one that's great is Outlaw Star.

I haven't followed new anime since Samurai Champloo. I don't watch the stuff either - just old anime. I would rather spend my time coloring or playing JRPGs.

I watched seven deadly sins and Magi on netflix both are pretty good for new anime.

And of coarse Berserk 2016 is good.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Dagger of Kamui is awesome. NOTHING like the manga but it's still an excellent film.

Are you actually referring to Sannpei Shirato's Ninpu Kamui Gaiden manga series from 1965-67 that was partially localized by Eclipse Comics & Viz in '87 as the Legend of Kamui?

My somewhat recent understanding is that the source material for Rin Taro's movie was not one and the same. Rather, a series of historical fiction novels by the late Tetsu Yano served as the basis for the outstanding animated film released in 1985.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Escaflowne and Bubblegum Crisis... Damn man, I forgot all about those. Now I want to rewatch them as well as InuYasha.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I'm all about this shit..

Cowboy Bebop
Ninja Scroll
Riding Bean
Vampire Hunter D
Fist of the North Star
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
So glad I can run into people with a similar love for retro anime. During the summer, I was trying like two movies a week just to find some new favorites or just trying movies/ovas I heard about in the past and never got to watch.
However, Midnight Eye Goku and Genocyber really surprised me. Not to mention the dub for MidnightEye Goku had Steve Blum as the lead voice actor. Before this movie I didn't realize he had been around for that long in the voice acting game.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I also forgot to mention Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend...I was so glad i had two vcrs & able to record this.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I don't buy much anime on disc, but I absolutely love Escaflowne and couldn't resist the Ultimate Edition box set. It comes out a few days after my birthday, so that'll be my present to myself.

Bubblegum Crisis, Outlaw Star and BeBop are among my favourite series. I remember having the Manga Video VHS tapes of Cyber City Oedo 808, all of Dominion Tank Police, Project A-Ko, the monthly releases of Guyver..... those things used to take up so much damn room.

I find the Patlabor movies a bit boring but the OAVs and TV series are excellent. Same with Ghost in the Shell, I like the films but I prefer Stand Alone Complex.