PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Found a pretty cool article detailing how to build your own composite AV connection off of the PCE/TG's expansion port.

I might just do this while waiting for db Electronics next batch of Grafx Boosters.

I think someone made a piece of hardware that does that. I just can't find it. I might be thinking of rgb.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Home made cables are easy to make. I've made two really cheap pairs over the years.

It wouldn't be hard to make a quality pair.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I started playing Shadowgate and I want to kill myself.
Grrr I'm being killed so often! lol

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Thinking about picking up a couple shmups Raiden & Formation Armed F. Raiden looks amazing for a PCE game. Curious what you guys opinion that have these two & how good are they?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thinking about picking up a couple shmups Raiden & Formation Armed F. Raiden looks amazing for a PCE game. Curious what you guys opinion that have these two & how good are they?

The Raiden port is one of my favorites of it to any of the home consoles. Super Raiden is a Super CD game with better sound effects, some different levels and rearranged CD audio. It's my favorite. But the HuCard is baller too.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I picked up a Core Grafx and a turbo everdrive, and I'm loving it.
One question tho; I'm hearing that inserting & removing the everdrive even just a few times will damage/bend the pins on the console, and that the everdrive should be left in the system.

I've heard these kinds of rumors before about everdrives and Action Replays for the Saturn, but I've never had an issue with any of those items & systems. I tend not to take those kinds of "old-wives tales" too seriously. Thoughts?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I picked up a Core Grafx and a turbo everdrive, and I'm loving it.
One question tho; I'm hearing that inserting & removing the everdrive even just a few times will damage/bend the pins on the console, and that the everdrive should be left in the system.

I've heard these kinds of rumors before about everdrives and Action Replays for the Saturn, but I've never had an issue with any of those items & systems. I tend not to take those kinds of "old-wives tales" too seriously. Thoughts?

I recently posted this same question over on Assembler and received some sound feedback.

Ren-chan

Been playing The Dynastic Hero recently, it's quite good uh? At least to me :P
I want moar platforms for PCE :(

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Been playing The Dynastic Hero recently, it's quite good uh? At least to me :P
I want moar platforms for PCE :(

PCE has plenty of good platformers. Check out Dragon's Curse on HuCard. It's the prequel to Dynastic Hero and is a better game in my opinion. Other good platformers off the top of my head: the Bonk series, Legendary Axe 1 and 2, the Valis series, Ninja Spirit, Ninja Gaiden, New Adventure Island, Dracula X, New Zealand Story, Parasol Stars and Cadash.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The Valis games are definitely worth picking up (or burning a copy of.)

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

Raiden - Great game
Super Raiden - Greater game
Formation Armed F - OK game, I mute the sound when I play. Music is shit, IMO.

Ren-chan

PCE has plenty of good platformers. Check out Dragon's Curse on HuCard. It's the prequel to Dynastic Hero and is a better game in my opinion. Other good platformers off the top of my head: the Bonk series, Legendary Axe 1 and 2, the Valis series, Ninja Spirit, Ninja Gaiden, New Adventure Island, Dracula X, New Zealand Story, Parasol Stars and Cadash.

Thanks to Bernie from pcenginefx forum I got Bonk 3 and Castlevania. Need to try the rest. Thankies :D

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I was so hype to play Spriggan for the first time ever and after playing it I was sorta let down, not 'cause the game is bad, not at all, the game is good but not the opus I was hoping it would have been.
I'm going to eat my own words and admit how wrong I was about Spriggan, with a bit more time with it I've actually come to appreciate it very much, I just wasn't patient at first and felt it was just another of the mill PCE shmups, glad I was wrong.

I got this and Kaze Kiri coming my way, I played Kaze Kiri and actually liked it a lot, it has its share of setbacks but the overall experience was great, gonna spend some serious time with this one.

I've been hesitant to get HuCards 'cause I have the everdrive but Ninja Spirit is really calling my name, I can only play the JP cards so if anyone is willing to part with Ninja Spirit complete let me know.

Ren-chan

Kaze Kiri is nice... a bit too easy for me. Someone told me "yeah, using magics makes it easy".... you know... I finished the entire game without even knowing there was a magic skill lol.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Kaze Kiri is nice... a bit too easy for me. Someone told me "yeah, using magics makes it easy".... you know... I finished the entire game without even knowing there was a magic skill lol.

I trucked right through it the first time I played it. Easier than a volunteer hooker. But it's a beautiful game, I think the effects and atmosphere is what makes me come back to it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the gameplay mechanics a lot and also wish the game was harder but alas I did take the plunge...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
KK is interesting, but ultimately without any gameplay. So, even if it looks absolutely ridiculous, not to say ugly, I prefer Faussete Amour, where pacing & every single jump can be accurately synchronized to the correspondent platform.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Is that the one with the pink ninja that plays like NES castlevnia? If it is, I actually enjoyed it,I've been playing some games that andsuchisdeath left for me. Including the aforementioned titles...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Is that the one with the pink ninja that plays like NES castlevnia? If it is, I actually enjoyed it,I've been playing some games that andsuchisdeath left for me. Including the aforementioned titles...

You're right on ElectricGrave and I'm glad you enjoyed it, cause it looks rather awful at first sight, but has undoubted qualities. Also: check out Renny Blaster, if you did not already, just don't bother to use the magician (Seishiro/right side in the select screen). Fujiro is the way to go, apart from the missing gun, he's so Rolling Thunder.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm going to eat my own words and admit how wrong I was about Spriggan, with a bit more time with it I've actually come to appreciate it very much, I just wasn't patient at first and felt it was just another of the mill PCE shmups, glad I was wrong.

Cool. Did you start using Yellow + Yellow + green?

I've never thought of Kaze Kiri as any easier than the average PC-Engine title. Most console games are easy, so what's the problem? Sometimes a relaxing, low effort romp of a game can scratch a certain itch. I appreciate the games that can fill that role.

One could always try to 1 life clear it. I'm assuming everyone saying how easy it is has cleared it without continuing (I don't remember if you can continue actually).

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I've never thought of Kaze Kiri as any easier than the average PC-Engine title. Most console games are easy, so what's the problem? Sometimes a relaxing, low effort romp of a game can scratch a certain itch. I appreciate the games that can fill that role.

One could always try to 1 life clear it. I'm assuming everyone saying how easy it is has cleared it without continuing (I don't remember if you can continue actually).

That was one of the games I regretted not getting when I had my PCE.

Crest of Wolf is a decent beat em up, but its ridiculously easy.