PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
got my third copy of MS2 & MSX. Another copy of MS3 is on the way.

Are you getting one for each room of your mansion? Or is this one of those summer home, winter home, yacht... type deals? Inquiring minds want to know.

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
So, going back to the original topic, is the Duo-R region free or is it the everdrive that makes it region free?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Every English or Japanese Turbo unit has region free cd support. But all the hu cards are region locked.

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
So it's the everdrive that would allow you to play North American HU card games on the Japanese Duo-R then?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The everdrive will let you play any region ROM on any region console. If you want to play physical games you need an expensive adapter, or a mod. Its not worth it. Just get a jp system, and everdrive. There's not very many exclusives to the USA that require English.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Exactly. The "just get an Everdrive" comment is usually because Everdrives are cheaper than the adapter boards go for these days. The region mod isn't bad these days though if you're handy with soldering, but some people have issues with flash carts after doing the region mod. I've never had a problem on my systems though, and I have a Core Grafx and a TG16 with region mods.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Exactly. The "just get an Everdrive" comment is usually because Everdrives are cheaper than the adapter boards go for these days. The region mod isn't bad these days though if you're handy with soldering, but some people have issues with flash carts after doing the region mod. I've never had a problem on my systems though, and I have a Core Grafx and a TG16 with region mods.

The only USA games you will want to own possibly that kinda require English are neutopia 1+2 order of the Griffion, dungeon explorer, dragons curse, and if you're rich magical chase. All if which except Griffin can easily be completed no English. If you must own physicals, just get the jp and play on everdrive. Cheaper, and better art.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Time for bumpies =)

Sooo guys, what game would you recommend under $20-30? (jap on hucard... any on cd). Feeling like trying to get 1 cheap game to add to my current super small collection :help:

Thanks ^^

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Time for bumpies =)

Sooo guys, what game would you recommend under $20-30? (jap on hucard... any on cd). Feeling like trying to get 1 cheap game to add to my current super small collection :help:

Thanks ^^

It's not $30 bucks; however-GET DOWNLOAD 2.

If you think of it as buying a music CD, and a game...value added.

Sick parallax, compelling story, archetypal PCE cinema cut scenes, and T's Music at the helm of the ship.

It's the game I'll be buried with.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sooo guys, what game would you recommend under $20-30? (jap on hucard... any on cd).

Makyo Densetsu (Legendary Axe) is nice & cheap. I also recommend Vigilante, Irem's own quality port. Adventure Island (Dragon's Trap) is excellent, too, featuring smooth 60fps as opposed to the MS original.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Time for bumpies =)

Thanks ^^
Get a bit more money, get an everdrive, test the games and go nuts. Emulation also helps to test things out. Good luck!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
CD-Rs + extra DUO-R laser + turboeverdrive = doesn't matter if you speak Japanese or not, everything is free after that lol.

Vigilante is a great game, I wish it had more moves for the title character, it gets repetitive like Mutation Nation on the Neo, etc.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Vigilante is repetitive but it's short enough for it not to matter. Also, it's fucking awesome.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I remember the first time playing Vigilante at the arcades, thinking picking up them Nunchucks was the greatest thing ever in video games, good times.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I never played it in the arcade, but I grabbed it as a random loose TG16 game from ebay shortly after I got my Duo. I had no idea what it was, popped it in, and was like "What? This is Kung Fu with 80's punks? THIS IS AWESOME!"

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Well Kung Fu Master was also Irem but I always preferred the NES title.

And Madonna the Irem cab was named after Vigilante's squeeze.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Well Kung Fu Master was also Irem but I always preferred the NES title.

And Madonna the Irem cab was named after Vigilante's squeeze.

COMP-Vigilante_002P.png

I did. I sent those skinheads back to Hell.

That shit don't fly in my streets.