Post Your Recent Purchases!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
if there's one thing that pissed me off when I migrated to the PS4 was the restrictions on controllers. PS3 accepted any old HID compatible device, hell it might even accept the Neo-Geo CD pad from 8BitGoob. PS3 even accepts the PS4 controller! But PS4 only accepted PS4 controller, fuck you for trying anything else including the Dualshock3
its even worse going from 4 to 5

said goodbye to using your favorite arcade stick or jump through hoops like a retard just to get the thing recognized by the ps5.

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
if there's one thing that pissed me off when I migrated to the PS4 was the restrictions on controllers. PS3 accepted any old HID compatible device, hell it might even accept the Neo-Geo CD pad from 8BitGoob. PS3 even accepts the PS4 controller! But PS4 only accepted PS4 controller, fuck you for trying anything else including the Dualshock3
Thing is, that was only implemented very late into the ps3's through an update

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's possible Nights is something where you had to be there. I got it with the controller at launch and it felt completely cutting edge. I wished the game had more content, but it ended up being so much fun to keep retrying and improving. Just everything as far as presentation (graphics and music) was just amazing. A tour de force on the Saturn.

Reminds me of how mind-blowing the presentation was on Sonic Adventure when it first came out, but on a smaller scale on the Saturn. Sonic Team really could knock it out of the park.

its even worse going from 4 to 5
Yep. There are USB adapters you can buy that will bring your PS2 controllers over to PS3 and PS4. PS5 is much more restrictive, and your options are far more limited.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
It's possible Nights is something where you had to be there.
Same thing for Shenmue on Dreamcast, in my opinion: I wouldn't recommend it today, but if you didn't play it when it came out, you've missed an unforgettable experience. When you lose the awe for graphics (and the unprecedented sense of freedom) it's much easier to spot the flaws.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I really like the Saturn 3d analog pad. It works on a number of different racing and light gun games, and I usually prefer it to the regular d-pad controller for those. But I never could get into Nights Into Dreams. As long as I can remember, people have raved about it and consider it one of the best games on the Saturn, but it's just not fun to me. Floating around and going through hoops, Idk, I don't get it.

And the realization that I am agreeing with HMG about something is not lost on me. I feel bad about that.

There's nothing to be ashamed about, I have sensible opinions on many things.

I don't get the appeal and fun factor of flying around through rings either. Honestly there is a serious Superman 64 vibe going on, which isn't a good thing . (Yes I know Nights predates Superman 64)

I can only assume the "you had to be there" explanation has something to do with the severe lack of compelling games for the Saturn at the time of Nights Into Dreams' release.

Shenmue I didn't play at launch either but I can at least understand some appeal for that game, there wasn't quite anything like it at the time. Nights, it's flying through rings...

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I still awe at dreamcast graphics. Realism/graphical fidelity does not make a good looking game.

for nights yeah its overrated but a lot of the fun comes from trying to get A-rank. Which means you gotta go fast sanic style.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I skipped the PS3 when it originally dropped and until now was the only generation I couldn't play.
I don't even know what I should be looking for to play.
There's honestly a pretty limited amount of great stuff on the system. The 360 got a bulk of the best stuff and games that got released on both systems were almost always better on the 360. Also a lot of stuff that used to be exclusive is on PS4 as HD remakes.

MGSIV
Ridge Racer
3D Dot Game Heroes
A bunch of weeb fighters
Puppeteer
Motorstorm series
Demons Souls
Siren Blood Curse
Folklore
Wipeout HD
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1&2
Lost Planet VR Troopers

Get CFW installed and a big HD, it's a nice way to have PS1-3 all in a single system thats HD TV friendly. It's easy to install and HDs are cheap.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't get the appeal and fun factor of flying around through rings either. Honestly there is a serious Superman 64 vibe going on, which isn't a good thing . (Yes I know Nights predates Superman 64)
The rings and other obstacles were a test of your precision twitch controls, which the controller finally made possible. The game and the controller were perfectly matched. Which is why it's such a shame that the Xbox 360/PS3 port supposedly don't actually have analog controls. Talk about missing the whole point!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The PS3 is a glorious region free bluray player if you're not a goob who's afraid of installing custom firmwares on your consoles. And the BD remote is cool, good and cheap
Why do you need custom firmware to make it a better blu-ray player?

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
It's possible Nights is something where you had to be there. I got it with the controller at launch and it felt completely cutting edge. I wished the game had more content, but it ended up being so much fun to keep retrying and improving. Just everything as far as presentation (graphics and music) was just amazing. A tour de force on the Saturn.

Reminds me of how mind-blowing the presentation was on Sonic Adventure when it first came out, but on a smaller scale on the Saturn. Sonic Team really could knock it out of the park.

Yep. There are USB adapters you can buy that will bring your PS2 controllers over to PS3 and PS4. PS5 is much more restrictive, and your options are far more limited.

The Christmas Nights got me excited for the game and I ended up buying the game with controller a day or two later.

I still have them.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
There's nothing to be ashamed about, I have sensible opinions on many things.

I can only assume the "you had to be there" explanation has something to do with the severe lack of compelling games for the Saturn at the time of Nights Into Dreams' release.

Shenmue I didn't play at launch either but I can at least understand some appeal for that game, there wasn't quite anything like it at the time. Nights, it's flying through rings...
Nights looked good but it's boring. That's said by someone that was there.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nights looked good but it's boring. That's said by someone that was there.
Yeah, it's pretty much a tech demo.

I remember going to a friends house who was Japanese and his brother had it before it was released here. I was blown away by the visuals but after watching him fly through rings for 20 minutes and the lack of any engaging story I never thought about the game again until I found it in a bargain bin a couple years later.

I also had the PS2 remake which had the exact same problems as the original.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Picked up a GG Aleste 3 cart from an IG friend. Stoked it's finally been patched to run on an actual Game Gear.
View attachment 67822
I got one as well; can't believe M2 made it for GG hardware and then didn't have the decency to at least do a limited run. Have the promotional box, now only need to go down and print up the manual that M2 has so kindly made available online and I'm set.