PS3:The Delay, Over Heating, and $900?!?!

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
hermegildo said:
I'm sorry, but the amount of great games available on the PS2 would disagree.
Did Sony make those games? You can't tell me the success of the PS2 has been built upon Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Jak and Daxter series, and God of War.

Like I said, Jerry Bruckheimer of gaming. Just grab the "best" of whatever's available at the time and jamb it down the consumer's eager throat.

H

hermegildo

Buro Destruct said:
Did Sony make those games? You can't tell me the success of the PS2 has been built upon Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Jak and Daxter series, and God of War.

Like I said, Jerry Bruckheimer of gaming. Just grab the "best" of whatever's available at the time and jamb it down the consumer's eager throat.
Sony making or not making the majority of games on the PS2 is besides the point.

Developers choose to create games for Sony for a reason (whatever that is) and that's good enough for me.

If the PS3's 3rd party support is anything like the PS2's then there is absolutely no reason for me to want Sony out of the gaming race.

I didn't get the second part of your post.

Are you talking about hardware?

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
hermegildo said:
Developers choose to create games for Sony for a reason (whatever that is)
That'd be money.

hermegildo said:
Are you talking about hardware?
I'm talking about everything. Developers, hardware, whatever. The exlcusive deals with Rockstar and EA should tell you how willing Sony is to fork over money just to be number 1, god forbid they do anything to you know....foster innovative design.

H

hermegildo

Buro Destruct said:
I'm talking about everything. Developers, hardware, whatever. The exlcusive deals with Rockstar and EA should tell you how willing Sony is to fork over money just to be number 1, god forbid they do anything to you know....foster innovative design.
Well yeah, Nintendo and MS want to be no. 1 too.

And innovation should come from the games themselves, not from hardware.

How innovative games can be is not up to Sony, it's up to each and every developer.

But that's another matter entirely, one that I honestly don't feel like arguing about for the millionth time right now.

I do agree that EA and Rockstar suck balls if that's what you're saying, but for every game they put out, there's a MGS or Gradius V.

Let's just brush this aside as a "taste" issue.

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Loopz said:
I don't know, man.
Whether any of us like it or not, the Sony name is fucking gold.
Even if they axed the Blu-Ray drive, and just stuck with DVD9s, and waited a whole 'nother year to put it out, it will still quickly grab the throne.
There's just too many lemmings out there who will buy this thing because it is the 'PlayStation 3'. It's almost preordained.

So all this prerelease picking at it by the geeks like us who watch this sort of thing is going to end up pointless. I know for a fact that there will eventually be something I'll want to play on it quite badly (VF5 most likely), so there's no point in smack talking about it.

I'm still more interested in the Rev at this point.

this man speaks the truth

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Despite that it might be my least favorite of the current gen consoles since my favorite games are either on Gamecube or XBOX, NO ONE should be without a PS2.

Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Ace Combat
God of War
Smackdown series
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto (they debuted here)

These are just a few of exclusive (GTA3 was for a year, all other appear here first) that you may or may not agree with but simply cannot doubt it's appeal and level of fun they provide.

I have not mentioned games of genres that I don't play (RPG, strategy) that are also AAA exclusives on this system and while I may not like them, I don't doubt their quality (FFX, Kingdom Hearts, etc...)

The PS3 looked more promising than the 360 but I realy can't care less of it sees the light of day or not. Not interested in the Revolution and the 360's only attraction to me now is to play the games in 1080i.

This isn't a bashing post, simply that I'm still having too much fun on my current consoles.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Argentina94 said:
Despite that it might be my least favorite of the current gen consoles since my favorite games are either on Gamecube or XBOX, NO ONE should be without a PS2.

Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Ace Combat
God of War
Smackdown series
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto (they debuted here)

These are just a few of exclusive (GTA3 was for a year, all other appear here first) that you may or may not agree with but simply cannot doubt it's appeal and level of fun they provide.

I have not mentioned games of genres that I don't play (RPG, strategy) that are also AAA exclusives on this system and while I may not like them, I don't doubt their quality (FFX, Kingdom Hearts, etc...)

The PS3 looked more promising than the 360 but I realy can't care less of it sees the light of day or not. Not interested in the Revolution and the 360's only attraction to me now is to play the games in 1080i.

This isn't a bashing post, simply that I'm still having too much fun on my current consoles.

My only problem with this post is that there's no JPN exclusives (I.E.: shooters, tenka, many others)

I could maybe be without a ps2 for US/Euro games- but I could never be without the hardcore arcade stuff USA Sony wouldn't touch with a stick.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
neobuyer said:
My only problem with this post is that there's no JPN exclusives (I.E.: shooters, tenka, many others)

I could maybe be without a ps2 for US/Euro games- but I could never be without the hardcore arcade stuff USA Sony wouldn't touch with a stick.

exactly at least 50% of our ps2 games are jap games, most wont see the light here. same reason why an xb or xb360 wouldnt be a system for my liking, gc is kids stuff, my lil nephey has one, and after seeing the new nintendo revolution controller i am sceptic about the hole thing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
Well yeah, Nintendo and MS want to be no. 1 too.

And innovation should come from the games themselves, not from hardware.

How innovative games can be is not up to Sony, it's up to each and every developer.

But that's another matter entirely, one that I honestly don't feel like arguing about for the millionth time right now.

I do agree that EA and Rockstar suck balls if that's what you're saying, but for every game they put out, there's a MGS or Gradius V.

Let's just brush this aside as a "taste" issue.
Let's not brush it aside, because you're right. If Sony fell, there would be a huge hole in the games we'd be playing. The games we'd miss from the Sony console would not appear on Revolution, and as you said, an MS console will never get that level of japanese consumer (and therefore, developer) support. I would like it if Sony changed some of their practices a bit. But anyone who wants Sony to fail, is short sighted, imo.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Sony's not going to release a console for anywhere near $900. As much as I hate them, they're just not that stupid.

I'm guessing it'll probably fall within the $500-$600 range. The real open question is when it will finally get released. Based on what I understand, it'll probably be early to mid 2007 before it sees the light of day, and will almost certainly be the last machine of the upcoming generation.

Honestly, I don't really want to see Sony go down in flames, but I would really like to see them lose some ground, so that they get a little more "hungry" as a gaming company.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
subcons said:
The PS2 solely changed the gaming market. And for the worse in a lot of ways.

If the exclusive shit that Sony has could go over to Microsoft, and all I would need is a 360 and possibly a Rev, I'd simply be a happier video game consumer.

Sony have to be taught a lesson, saying that I will probably get a PS3 as there will be games that I wont be able to find on other systems, but Sony is getting too big for their own boots I do hope the rev and even the 360 outsell the PS3, if it's going to be sold at a crazy price it won't be successful. They need to learn that customers are the most important factor, and treating them like shit should not be the done thing.

Sony have a poor history with console design IMHO, the last straw was when the released the slimline PS2 and it wasn't compatible with the PS2 multitap!
I also hear the latest Rev dosnt work with many PS2 games, such at Tekken5. Well done Sony!

The PSP is a shambles, great screen, but horrible controls, and the firmware situation is just ridiculous, a handheld where some games are region locked? thats just great!! Nintendo wins on this front hands down!!

It makes me laugh when silly people would say that PS2 was better than Xbox, PS2 is an old and awful system, poor from the start, grey graphics and excessive load times. there are admittedly a few great games (Shadow of the colossus, Katamari etc). but its sad that the PS2 was so much more popular than the better designed and more powerful Cube and Xbox.

Rant over... Phew! :chimp:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh, here we go again... keeping pre-release rumours alive :)

$900, $800, whatever, I won't buy a PS3 on release anyway, just like I don't plan on buying a 360 anytime soon. I will wait at least a year before buying one of them like I did with the last-gen consoles, anything else just leads to paying inflated prices.

Let's face it, there will be no way around a PS3 for a gamer with an arcade background. It's the same with PS2, if you love 2D shmups and fighters, you have to have an import-ready PS2, end of story. The PS3 will be no exception here because most upcoming (Japanese) arcade ports will be released on a Sony console, that's just how things are.

Other than that, I neither care for any new hardware features nor most of the popular 3D game series, so my money will go to the console which gives me the most arcade ports (and RE5).

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
heh, here we go again... keeping pre-release rumours alive :)

$900, $800, whatever, I won't buy a PS3 on release anyway, just like I don't plan on buying a 360 anytime soon. I will wait at least a year before buying one of them like I did with the last-gen consoles, anything else just leads to paying inflated prices.

Agreed.

Why pay out of the ass for something without really knowing what it`s library of games will turn out to be.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Who cares about the fucking price of the PS3.

It will become affordable even if it does launch initially at a higher price than most would like. Just wait. Big deal if you can't get it at launch because of the price. It would probably be better to wait unless you don't mind having potential problems that plague every launch system.

So you don't like Sony.

Get over it.

If the system has good games, then I will be more than content with purchasing a PS3. Same goes with the 360 and the Revolution.

All I care about are whether the games that come out for any of these systems are good. If they are, then I will own the system. If they aren't, then I won't.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
either way a $600+ dollar console isnt a good precedent imo...

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
It costs around $800 to make. I don't think Sony really cares all that much. They will ship out over a 100 million of these things during it's lifetime and it will all be fine.

I really wish they would just let Blu Ray go. It has a big chance of fucking them in the ass.

The highest I'm really willing to pay is about $449.99. Any thing after that and I say they are on crack.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
DangerousK said:
Who cares about the fucking price of the PS3.

It will become affordable even if it does launch initially at a higher price than most would like. Just wait. Big deal if you can't get it at launch because of the price. It would probably be better to wait unless you don't mind having potential problems that plague every launch system.

So you don't like Sony.

Get over it.

If the system has good games, then I will be more than content with purchasing a PS3. Same goes with the 360 and the Revolution.

All I care about are whether the games that come out for any of these systems are good. If they are, then I will own the system. If they aren't, then I won't.

Actually pirce could easily make or break a system and how it will be received by the public. Let's not forget the Neo Geo, 3D0, PSP or CD-I system. While both were superior to the current technology out there, they ended up not becoming a household because of the price. Granted you can argue it however you want, but if the price ends up being higher then Sony has led us to believe, that would be a deciding factor to me. Not to mention the quality of Sony's past hardware has not been very reassuring that would make me want to drop 500+ dollars for a system. It's the same reason I haven't purchased an XBox 360.

As Nintendo has shown us, not one company can stay on top forever. Nintendo brought life back into Videogames with the NES and Super NES. They ended up losing market share which a company that owned close to 90%+ of the market, the only way they can go is down. Sony ended up taking first place for the PS1 and PS2. But well see where the future brings us.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Highlander67 said:
Actually pirce could easily make or break a system and how it will be received by the public. Let's not forget the Neo Geo, 3D0, PSP or CD-I system. While both were superior to the current technology out there, they ended up not becoming a household because of the price. Granted you can argue it however you want, but if the price ends up being higher then Sony has led us to believe, that would be a deciding factor to me. Not to mention the quality of Sony's past hardware has not been very reassuring that would make me want to drop 500+ dollars for a system. It's the same reason I haven't purchased an XBox 360.

I think you can't compare the initial price levels of 3DO, Neo or the CD-I to the PS3. All of these consoles were niche systems right from the start. When the Neo came out in 1990, nobody except a few arcade goers gave a damn, but the PS3 will be a mass market product and hundreds of thousands of vg freaks are dying to get one, at almost any cost.

Sony knows it's almost too easy to wet the mouthes of a few crazy vg addicts with some "promising" new specs and whatnot, they show the right ppl some magic beans and they will pay any price for it.

Of course things will be different as soon as the release craze is over and the 2nd wave of buyers flocks to the shops to buy a PS3 for their kids, but prices will be lower by then anyway so that's not really an issue.

I mean... basic business tactics eh, lure them, bait them and then cash in. :)

Not that I would shell out that much for a new console, but you know as good as I that there are ppl who do, the release madness will be ten times bigger than that of the 360.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Takumaji said:
I think you can't compare the initial price levels of 3DO, Neo or the CD-I to the PS3. All of these consoles were niche systems right from the start. When the Neo came out in 1990, nobody except a few arcade goers gave a damn, but the PS3 will be a mass market product and hundreds of thousands of vg freaks are dying to get one, at almost any cost.

Sony knows it's almost too easy to wet the mouthes of a few crazy vg addicts with some "promising" new specs and whatnot, they show the right ppl some magic beans and they will pay any price for it.

Of course things will be different as soon as the release craze is over and the 2nd wave of buyers flocks to the shops to buy a PS3 for their kids, but prices will be lower by then anyway so that's not really an issue.

I mean... basic business tactics eh, lure them, bait them and then cash in. :)

Not that I would shell out that much for a new console, but you know as good as I that there are ppl who do, the release madness will be ten times bigger than that of the 360.

Takumaji,

I see what your saying but to say the 3DO and the CD-I were niche, would be saying that Nintendo released the N64 to be a niche sysytem. No game company that is releasing hardware has the intention of it's hardware being "Niche". The fact that The Neo didn't do well or the 3D0 didn't do well can be linked to the price. Think about it. The Sony PSP, as great as everyone makes it out to beleive, the system isn't selling as well as Sony would have hoped. It simply goes back to past experience. Sony had a price in mind and though everyone would run out to get it. Guess what, it didn't happen. While the system has potential, I'm willing to bet that Sony assumed it would sell better. Even the whole UMD thing. Sony's ego and past presence with the PS1 and PS2 were a driving force and Sony thought the UMD would take off. It hasn't. When you have a portable game system that has more movies than games on it is an issue. Only a handful of games have been released and the future game released except a select few look promising. But ont he other hand, the Gimmicky and less expensive Nintendo DS is spanking the PSP from here to Japan and back.

Granted, maybe i'm wrong but with a system that costs $400+ and comes from a company that has been known to release shoddy hardware, I'm a person that would wait until the price comes down.

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
genjiglove said:
All I know is MGS4 is exclusive for the PS3. That means I'll be buying one.

:spock: BUT WAIT!! Don't you wanna play Mario Super Duper ultra Quaduper version 7 or are they on version 10, I forgot. And let's not forget the all time exclusive version of Resident Evil version 6.0.9er. :rolleyes:

<----waits for the typical "fan boy" flames. :rolleyes:

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
GT40PWR said:
:spock: BUT WAIT!! Don't you wanna play Mario Super Duper ultra Quaduper version 7 or are they on version 10, I forgot. And let's not forget the all time exclusive version of Resident Evil version 6.0.9er. :rolleyes:

<----waits for the typical "fan boy" flames. :rolleyes:
Flame%20thrower%20spread%20A3.jpg

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
If the building materials cost $900, which wouldn't totally surprise me, Sony woudln't be able to sell the system for less than $700. Taking more than a $200 hit would just not make them enough money.

That being said, a system for $500 or more simply will have a hard time selling in the US. I imagine that the higher the price, the fewer units you can sell, and therefore the less of a hit you can take per system. Sony may be pricing kids out of the market, which from a business perspective would be bad.

Everybody is concerned about the hardware cost, but I've heard that games could cost $80+. We'll know the truth behind these stories when Sony announces the price of the hardware and the release date.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
IMTheWalrus said:
If the building materials cost $900, which wouldn't totally surprise me, Sony woudln't be able to sell the system for less than $700. Taking more than a $200 hit would just not make them enough money.

That being said, a system for $500 or more simply will have a hard time selling in the US. I imagine that the higher the price, the fewer units you can sell, and therefore the less of a hit you can take per system. Sony may be pricing kids out of the market, which from a business perspective would be bad.

Everybody is concerned about the hardware cost, but I've heard that games could cost $80+. We'll know the truth behind these stories when Sony announces the price of the hardware and the release date.

That's the big question, and of course for a possible PS3 spring release, Sony has yet to announce any dates. Sounds like all the rumors of a late '06 or early '07 for the PS3 launch and sounding more and more likely. I can't imagine Sony releasing the PS3 in 2-3 Months and yet they have not released any details about the final specs or even a month that the system will launch.

Technical XTC

Banned
Microsoft is losing money on every XBOX360 unit sold, but the games make up for the loss. Sony is in the same boat and that Cell Technology is just fantastic from what I have read in the latest Forbes Magazine. It will not be $900, that would be suicide, it'll compete directly with the XBOX and probably be a lot better, I HOPE.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Highlander67 said:
Takumaji,

I see what your saying but to say the 3DO and the CD-I were niche, would be saying that Nintendo released the N64 to be a niche sysytem. No game company that is releasing hardware has the intention of it's hardware being "Niche". The fact that The Neo didn't do well or the 3D0 didn't do well can be linked to the price. Think about it.

I should have been a little more precise. Consoles like the 3DO, Neo homecart and CD-I were generally received as niche systems or at least quickly became niche, they weren't planned as such (except the Neo homecart). That's something which will never happen to a Sony console, at least it's most unlikely at this point in time.

The Neo is a special case anyway. When the homecart system came out, its price was so high that SNK worked out a rental scheme because they couldn't believe anyone would actually buy such a high-priced video game system, but they were wrong, a lot of gamers went nuts about the possibility of playing arcade-perfect original versions of their fave games at home. Again, the initial price was not really an issue for those who knew what they were buying.

The thing is, SNK's old order always was arcade > home console, they never planned to come up with homecart-exclusive releases, so the homecart sys wasn't made with the mass market in mind but a niche of arcade gamers who could afford the price for arcade perfection in their living rooms. The NGCD that came out later on was planned to focus on the home market, but even with the cheap CD medium, the console never reached mass market status.

The Sony PSP, as great as everyone makes it out to beleive, the system isn't selling as well as Sony would have hoped. It simply goes back to past experience. Sony had a price in mind and though everyone would run out to get it. Guess what, it didn't happen. While the system has potential, I'm willing to bet that Sony assumed it would sell better. Even the whole UMD thing. Sony's ego and past presence with the PS1 and PS2 were a driving force and Sony thought the UMD would take off. It hasn't. When you have a portable game system that has more movies than games on it is an issue. Only a handful of games have been released and the future game released except a select few look promising. But ont he other hand, the Gimmicky and less expensive Nintendo DS is spanking the PSP from here to Japan and back.

I agree, the high price of the PSP is a problem for Sony because they pretty much failed to give ppl a reason why they should buy a handheld with mediocre software support and run-of-the-mill multimedia features which many already have in their iPods, mobile phones or PDAs.

The UMD format is nonsense IMO, they just wanted to have something to recycle the tons of movie licenses with which they picked up during their last buying tour to the US and Europe, and then there's Sony Music with their insanely huge backcatalogue, etc.pp. In short, a total rip-off.

Nintendo's DS is ahead of the PSP because they made the right business decisions, they were wise enough not to shove yet another plays-games-videos-music-makes-coffe-and-diapers-your-baby type of system down peoples' throats with features they already have access to in one way or another.

However, I don't think the price is the only important factor here, the DS simply has the more clever and more transparent concept with better games that are attractive to the main audience of handhelds, read mostly younger folks who already owned other Nintendo handhelds before. I'm sure if the PSP had a few more killer apps, it would be more successful, despite its price.

Granted, maybe i'm wrong but with a system that costs $400+ and comes from a company that has been known to release shoddy hardware, I'm a person that would wait until the price comes down.

Well, yes, I guess they have to find a balance between innovation and economic reality, or else they may end up with another PSP situation... on the other hand... something tells me all those hundreds of thousands of devout Sony fans will do their part in helping Sony to come out first in the console race again... :)