PS3:The Delay, Over Heating, and $900?!?!

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Two articles on IGN worth checking out on Merrill Lynch Japan's report on PS3 software delays, hardware delays, overheating, and initial build materials costing $900. Sony's comment on delay .

What I find interesting is the build materials are going to cost $900....How much is this system going to cost? It will take 3 years for build materials to reach $320?!?!? That's just build materials..if Sony sells at $900 they will be loosing money. I wonder what developers are thinking about the high price tag? I will still get one(havent missed a system yet), but damn...this is getting nuts. Sony also is expected to cut down on projected numbers of production. Down to 2-3 million units to cut down on costs to them. What a huge risk for SOny, this PS3 is going to be......

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I don't know, man.
Whether any of us like it or not, the Sony name is fucking gold.
Even if they axed the Blu-Ray drive, and just stuck with DVD9s, and waited a whole 'nother year to put it out, it will still quickly grab the throne.
There's just too many lemmings out there who will buy this thing because it is the 'PlayStation 3'. It's almost preordained.

So all this prerelease picking at it by the geeks like us who watch this sort of thing is going to end up pointless. I know for a fact that there will eventually be something I'll want to play on it quite badly (VF5 most likely), so there's no point in smack talking about it.

I'm still more interested in the Rev at this point.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
All I know is MGS4 is exclusive for the PS3. That means I'll be buying one.

Fighter123

Banned
I posted this at different forums:

"I was expecting this for a week now. I friend of mine told me before on AIM that the company he works for has the development kits for the 360 and the Revolution, but not for the PS3. What this means if Sony doesn't shipped out the PS3 kits soon, from the development of launch titles and such we're seeing a 2007 release of the system."

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I hate Sony. Really. I hope they're forced to sell a shit product at a premium price and lose the number 1 spot.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If Sony launched their system at $900, I would laugh for 3 days straight, and probably die from hyperventilating. If I didn't die, I guess on the fourth day I would start trying to pull some money together.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I've felt all along that Sony wouldn't launch the PS3 this year (not in the USA anyway). Not even Sony is dumb enough to take a $500 hit per system. And if they sell the system at a loss then they could piss off all the companies making Blu-Ray players.

The problem though for Sony is that it's not just about games anymore. If they launch the PS3 with the Blu-Ray drive it will give them a huge advantage over HD-DVD. Having Blu-Ray in the PS3 alone will probably kill off HD-DVD in my opinion. If they don't we could see a two-format war.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
It's just a ploy by Sony to get people worried that the price will be ridiculously high, so that when it launches at $499.00 people will think it's a steal. :rolleyes:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Bishamon said:
It's just a ploy by Sony to get people worried that the price will be ridiculously high, so that when it launches at $499.00 people will think it's a steal. :rolleyes:

ditto on that.

Also, all of this is speculation.

Its still not at all as retarded as all the Microsoft B.S. with the Xbox 1.5 "shortages"

Give me the Revolution! [and a PS3, cuz I can't resist]

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Bishamon said:

Thats probably closer to the truth than any of the other PS3 articles anywhere.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
It said on the business part of BBC news the other day that Sony was strapped for cash, hence the delay.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Oh god I hope Sony falls. Hard.

I know the chances of that happening at this point are unlikely, but what is a man without his hopes?

H

hermegildo

subcons said:
Oh god I hope Sony falls. Hard.

I know the chances of that happening at this point are unlikely, but what is a man without his hopes?
I don't understand this kind of mentality.

I think it's rather stupid actually.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
If anyone knows japanese, can you tell me if Ken Kutaragi translated to english is "Trip Hawkins"?

:lol:

I think sony royally fucked up and are desperate for a way out. If this thing launches for > $450 consider it the connor peterson of this console generation.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
I don't know, man.
Whether any of us like it or not, the Sony name is fucking gold.
Even if they axed the Blu-Ray drive, and just stuck with DVD9s, and waited a whole 'nother year to put it out, it will still quickly grab the throne.
There's just too many lemmings out there who will buy this thing because it is the 'PlayStation 3'. It's almost preordained.

So all this prerelease picking at it by the geeks like us who watch this sort of thing is going to end up pointless. I know for a fact that there will eventually be something I'll want to play on it quite badly (VF5 most likely), so there's no point in smack talking about it.

I'm still more interested in the Rev at this point.

i think we all thought the same about nintendo at one point.

but ill have to agree Sony has won so many over to fall that easily.

I'll buy one for sure doesn't matter it looks gorgeous and the graphics make me wonder what else this system can do. Even though not likely i wonder what kind of 2d gaming we can expect from PS3

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
hermegildo said:
I don't understand this kind of mentality.

I think it's rather stupid actually.

The PS2 solely changed the gaming market. And for the worse in a lot of ways.

If the exclusive shit that Sony has could go over to Microsoft, and all I would need is a 360 and possibly a Rev, I'd simply be a happier video game consumer.

H

hermegildo

subcons said:
The PS2 solely changed the gaming market. And for the worse in a lot of ways.

If the exclusive shit that Sony has could go over to Microsoft, and all I would need is a 360 and possibly a Rev, I'd simply be a happier video game consumer.
What are you talking about?

The PS2 is a great console.

It has a great variety of games and it has just as many exclusives as the X-Box or Gamecube.

I understand if somebody doesn't like a company, or if they think a certain company handles things in a stupid manner, but saying "I hope XXX fails miserably" is nothing but fanboyish babble.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
The PS2 is a great console.

I agree on that part.
But I also agree with subcons that I'd rather not see Sony succeed in the gaming market. It just feels like they don't belong; I can't think of one in-studio dev from Sony that hasn't made one game that isn't suck-ass. I guess because I grew up with Sega and the Big N that I expect a console's creator to also be a leading game developer, but in that case Microsoft fails as well.
Sony makes shitty consoles that break down easily, whereas you look at a GameCube and there is hardly a problem to be found.

I know I'm talking out of my ass at this point, I can't even remember why I replied, but I will say that even though the PS2 has an amazing library of games, if the console maker lost in the next-gen wars, perhaps Americans would be able to see a wider range of games available to them on the winner's console (even though it is a hopeless pipe dream; I predict Sony will lead the market for generations and generations to come). I don't know; fuck Sony but I love the PS2.

Anyways, $900 for any console post-3DO is horseshit.

H

hermegildo

LoneSage said:
I can't think of one in-studio dev from Sony that hasn't made one game that isn't suck-ass.
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War

Those are a few off the top of my head.

The fact of the matter is, whether you like or dislike Sony, the PS2 arguably has the richest library of games in this generation. If Sony goes down, MS and Nintendo lose strong competition, not to mention the fact that the 360 will never get the Japanese support the PS2 has and that Nintendo is already going a different route.

I'm indifferent towards Sony as a company, I dislike MS as a company and I have faith towards Nintendo (as weird as that sounds).

Does that mean I want any of these companies to "fail miserably"?

Of course not, you know why?

Because we would lose as gamers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War

Those are a few off the top of my head.

I had thought those were created by second-party devs? If I'm wrong, then colour me stupid impressed. When I think of Sony developers, I think of 989 Studios from the PS1 days.

I don't necessarily believe we would lose as gamers since third-parties have no allegiance towards a console (though a favorable preference, for sure); rather, they would take their business elsewhere. But you're right, competition is a good thing, in any aspect of business and not just from a financial standpoint.
Personally I just don't feel a lot of the spirit I felt from the earlier days of gaming, I suppose the disappearance of console mascots has something to do with it. Nintendo is one of the few companies I actually have faith in nowadays as well, it's hard to explain but I just feel that they deserve to do better this gen than they have the last two.

I'll admit I used to be a fanboy, back in elementary school, but now I judge the consoles based on their merits and not on their names. Not sure how to conclude this statement, so perhaps I'll just end with some ellipses...

H

hermegildo

LoneSage said:
Not sure how to conclude this statement, so perhaps I'll just end with some ellipses...
:kekeke:

I don't know. It's just that hating on a company like that for no real reason seems stupid to me, especially when, in this case at least, the PS2 has been home to so many great games and, in the end, isn't that all that matters?

And those games I listed are made by "Sony Computer Entertainment" I believe. That's first party as far as I know, but I may be mistaken.

In any case, if Sony releases the PS3 at $900, they're probably going to be fucked.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
hermegildo said:
:kekeke:

I don't know. It's just that hating on a company like that for no real reason seems stupid to me, especially when, in this case at least, the PS2 has been home to so many great games and, in the end, isn't that all that matters?

And those games I listed are made by "Sony Computer Entertainment" I believe. That's first party as far as I know, but I may be mistaken.

In any case, if Sony releases the PS3 at $900, they're probably going to be fucked.
Because Sony is the Jerry Bruckheimer of gaming. Total style over subtsance.

H

hermegildo

Buro Destruct said:
Because Sony is the Jerry Bruckheimer of gaming. Total style over subtsance.
I'm sorry, but the amount of great games available on the PS2 would disagree.