PS3:The Delay, Over Heating, and $900?!?!

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
hermegildo said:
Let's just brush this aside as a "taste" issue.

Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Solid
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Ace Combat
God of War
Smackdown series
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto (they debuted here)

It pretty much is a taste issue. I used to be a GT fan, but lost interest. I still feel Forza is the best (playing) racer to date, even over GT4, at least in the strictly sim genre. SotC and GoW were good games, but I personaly would've never purchased them. All I own for PS2 is Flipnic, the Contras, Katamari and most all the exclusive shooters on the system. Most everything either doesn't or only mildly interests me. I've become fickle in my old age.

I know Sony won't fall. It's pretty much improbable. But it'd be interesting to see what kind of development would come MS's way in the Japanese market, if any, were Sony to lose some footing this time around.

Who would've thought Sega and Nintendo would be where they are now a decade ago? Strange.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
neobuyer said:
My only problem with this post is that there's no JPN exclusives (I.E.: shooters, tenka, many others)

I could maybe be without a ps2 for US/Euro games- but I could never be without the hardcore arcade stuff USA Sony wouldn't touch with a stick.

But that's just it, I never mentioned games that I never play. On my small list alone it's more than worth the price of the console.

Add to that the RPGs, strategy, fighting games PLUS the japanese software that never makes it to these shores, it only serves to prove my point further.

Simply put, people might roffle that Sony is having trouble getting their PS3 ready on time and on budget but flaming them "OMG! $900???? PWNED!!!" is fanboyism at it's worst.

The PS2 is a fine piece of hardware with countless wonderful games on it. And it looks great through component too.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
subcons said:
It pretty much is a taste issue. I used to be a GT fan, but lost interest. I still feel Forza is the best (playing) racer to date, even over GT4, at least in the strictly sim genre. SotC and GoW were good games, but I personaly would've never purchased them. All I own for PS2 is Flipnic, the Contras, Katamari and most all the exclusive shooters on the system. Most everything either doesn't or only mildly interests me. I've become fickle in my old age.

I know Sony won't fall. It's pretty much improbable. But it'd be interesting to see what kind of development would come MS's way in the Japanese market, if any, were Sony to lose some footing this time around.

Who would've thought Sega and Nintendo would be where they are now a decade ago? Strange.

But see, I listed games that not everyone may like but still can't dispute it's appeal to the majority.

Sort of like the games you own for system: Not my cup of tea but I DO NOT dispute their quality.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Takumaji said:
I should have been a little more precise. Consoles like the 3DO, Neo homecart and CD-I were generally received as niche systems or at least quickly became niche, they weren't planned as such (except the Neo homecart). That's something which will never happen to a Sony console, at least it's most unlikely at this point in time.

The Neo is a special case anyway. When the homecart system came out, its price was so high that SNK worked out a rental scheme because they couldn't believe anyone would actually buy such a high-priced video game system, but they were wrong, a lot of gamers went nuts about the possibility of playing arcade-perfect original versions of their fave games at home. Again, the initial price was not really an issue for those who knew what they were buying.

The thing is, SNK's old order always was arcade > home console, they never planned to come up with homecart-exclusive releases, so the homecart sys wasn't made with the mass market in mind but a niche of arcade gamers who could afford the price for arcade perfection in their living rooms. The NGCD that came out later on was planned to focus on the home market, but even with the cheap CD medium, the console never reached mass market status.

I agree, the high price of the PSP is a problem for Sony because they pretty much failed to give ppl a reason why they should buy a handheld with mediocre software support and run-of-the-mill multimedia features which many already have in their iPods, mobile phones or PDAs.

The UMD format is nonsense IMO, they just wanted to have something to recycle the tons of movie licenses with which they picked up during their last buying tour to the US and Europe, and then there's Sony Music with their insanely huge backcatalogue, etc.pp. In short, a total rip-off.

Nintendo's DS is ahead of the PSP because they made the right business decisions, they were wise enough not to shove yet another plays-games-videos-music-makes-coffe-and-diapers-your-baby type of system down peoples' throats with features they already have access to in one way or another.

However, I don't think the price is the only important factor here, the DS simply has the more clever and more transparent concept with better games that are attractive to the main audience of handhelds, read mostly younger folks who already owned other Nintendo handhelds before. I'm sure if the PSP had a few more killer apps, it would be more successful, despite its price.

Well, yes, I guess they have to find a balance between innovation and economic reality, or else they may end up with another PSP situation... on the other hand... something tells me all those hundreds of thousands of devout Sony fans will do their part in helping Sony to come out first in the console race again... :)

Sounds good to me. I'd write mroe but I'm tired. ;) ;)

subcons

Argentina94 said:
But see, I listed games that not everyone may like but still can't dispute it's appeal to the majority.

Sort of like the games you own for system: Not my cup of tea but I DO NOT dispute their quality.

And that's just it, I'm not in the "majority"... so I guess that's my gripe with the system. If I could own all the games that I have on PS2 for Xbox, that'd be dreamy. Oh, and I own two games for Gamecube now: Killer 7 and Star Soldier.

I'm just getting old and like to gripe about how things used to be when you could buy moonpies and penny whistles for just 5¢ a...

Ignore me.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
subcons said:
Oh, and I own two games for Gamecube now: Killer 7 and Star Soldier..
And only one of them is worth a damn.

HINT: Its not Killer 7.

subcons

Buro Destruct said:

I just haven't beat it yet. I think I'm near the end. The style of the game sold me on it more than anything. I just like weird shit.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Argentina94 said:
The PS2 is a fine piece of hardware with countless wonderful games on it. And it looks great through component too.

Good piece of hardware: Yes!!!!!

Countless Wonderfull Games: Yes!!!!!

Looks good through component cable: It looks like crap......I go where the games are and there are many wonderfull gaming experiences, but God of War and GT are the only games that look great through the component outs on PS2, nothing else holds water compared to component outs of Xbox or GC for most of, if not, all the games.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
I hope the PS3 flops and that the 360 takes it's place on top of the video game world. The Rev is preordained to flop hard, so I'm not worried on that... :chimp:

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
How Sony will pull off a successful PS3 launch has been and will be perplexing me until the actual day of launch. On one hand, given the reports on how much it will cost to manufacture one PS3, it would appear Sony would have to sell the PS3 at a relatively high price so as not to file bankruptcy. I really don't think Sony can take a hit of more than $200-300 per system. On the other hand, the price will have to be relatively decent (not more than $500) to get a lot of gamers to bring one home.

My housemate is convinced that there is no such thing as the PS3. :multi_co:

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Fighter17 said:
I posted this at different forums:

"I was expecting this for a week now. I friend of mine told me before on AIM that the company he works for has the development kits for the 360 and the Revolution, but not for the PS3. What this means if Sony doesn't shipped out the PS3 kits soon, from the development of launch titles and such we're seeing a 2007 release of the system."

Dev kits are out there. I would guess the problem is with the company he works for, and nothing else.

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
One thing bugs me recently above anything else about Sony CEA, and it's that they won't authorize 2d games for the PS2 outside compilation packs.

It's the reason you don't see Metal Slug 3 on the PS2 here, as well as countless other SNK, Capcom, and other assorted developers titles. Hell, it's the reason Working Designs closed up shop (Goemon Generation was denied authorization, well into the development cycle).

Game authorization should be used to keep bad (Batman Dark Tomorrow) games off the shelves, not as a marketing tool (See, the PS2 is advanced! All the games have pretty 3d graphics!)

H

hermegildo

TerryMathews said:
One thing bugs me recently above anything else about Sony CEA, and it's that they won't authorize 2d games for the PS2 outside compilation packs.

It's the reason you don't see Metal Slug 3 on the PS2 here, as well as countless other SNK, Capcom, and other assorted developers titles. Hell, it's the reason Working Designs closed up shop (Goemon Generation was denied authorization, well into the development cycle).

Game authorization should be used to keep bad (Batman Dark Tomorrow) games off the shelves, not as a marketing tool (See, the PS2 is advanced! All the games have pretty 3d graphics!)
Imports.

Microsoft gets less than half of the 2D titles the PS2 does and the Gamecube gets almost none.

It's no contest really.

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
I wasn't saying in comparison to anyone else.

Just that it's a gay policy. Let the public decide what games they do or do not want to buy.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Personally, I don't think Sony intended to release Blu-Ray this early. I think Sony was hoping they'd have another 2-3 years to perfect it (articles indicate the players are very unreliable and the discs are retardedly fragile). But then Toshiba went and made HD-DVD, and now Sony is scrambling to release Blu-Ray so they can compete with HD-DVD and not give it 2-3 years of uncontested dominance. Of course, what better way to force a pointless format down the consumers' throat than release an overpriced "next-gen" console? I mean, it worked for UMDs didn't it?

Didn't it? :)

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
ferrarimanf355 said:
I hope the PS3 flops and that the 360 takes it's place on top of the video game world. The Rev is preordained to flop hard, so I'm not worried on that... :chimp:

Preordained to flop hard?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At least make the statement when you have evidence to back it up.

Idiot.

On another subject, when the PS2 was initially launched, wasn't Sony taking a $300 hit or so per system? IIRC the cost to manufacturer PS2 systems was around $700.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
PStwo+swap disc+Cave Shooter torrents+DVDr=:chimp:

I've always been a fan of owning the actual games instead of being a cheap fuck and bootlegging the games. Especially with Cave shooters.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
DangerousK said:
Preordained to flop hard?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At least make the statement when you have evidence to back it up.

Idiot.

On another subject, when the PS2 was initially launched, wasn't Sony taking a $300 hit or so per system? IIRC the cost to manufacturer PS2 systems was around $700.

I think Sony was a lot better off financially at that time. These last few years have been hard on every division they have except the Entertainment one.

And I agree that the Revolution probably won't flop. If its cheap enough, it will probably sell more consoles than the PS3 and 360, just because people will be buying it as a supplement system. Also, the DS created an entirely new market (i.e. non-typical-gamers) in the realm of gaming, its apparent this market is what Nintendo is aiming for with the Revolution. And we all know how well the DS is doing.

SSS

neo retired
DangerousK said:
I've always been a fan of owning the actual games instead of being a cheap fuck and bootlegging the games. Especially with Cave shooters.

Congrats.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
ajk1080 said:
Good piece of hardware: Yes!!!!!

Countless Wonderfull Games: Yes!!!!!

Looks good through component cable: It looks like crap......I go where the games are and there are many wonderfull gaming experiences, but God of War and GT are the only games that look great through the component outs on PS2, nothing else holds water compared to component outs of Xbox or GC for most of, if not, all the games.

You are correct, God of War and GT4 look outstanding through component but so do a few other games. RE4 looks like crap.

And yes, I agree Gamecube and XBOX are superior no doubt but I'd pick the Gamecube with the best overall video quality.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
And only one of them is worth a damn.

Killer 7 is fucking amazing, but since you can get it on ps2 one less reason to own a cube

DangerousK

20 Year Member
jp. said:
I think Sony was a lot better off financially at that time. These last few years have been hard on every division they have except the Entertainment one.

And I agree that the Revolution probably won't flop. If its cheap enough, it will probably sell more consoles than the PS3 and 360, just because people will be buying it as a supplement system. Also, the DS created an entirely new market (i.e. non-typical-gamers) in the realm of gaming, its apparent this market is what Nintendo is aiming for with the Revolution. And we all know how well the DS is doing.

Even if the Revolution is cheap enough I would be surprised if it sells more systems than either the 360 or the PS3. If they play their cards right I could definitely see it happening. But since there is little information to date on this system it still is way too early to make any claims about it failing or succeeding.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't think that the rev will sell more than PSIII or Xbox..

But I think it will sell enough systems and to a non-competitive demographic to allow the Big N to create First party Titles that will sell well.

Nintendo is all about publishing, not about liscence fees.