RE4 Remake soon

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
About to dance with the lake monster. So far I had only minor ammo probs, the knife is much more powerful compared to the og game, great for close-range melee and sneaky attacks (my favs), and it saves ammo. I've settled with a rather oldschool weapons setup, standard pistol, sniper rifle and 12 gauge.

Some enemies seem stronger than before, like the first few chainsaw guys, they gave me quite a run at first. Overall the AI has been improved which adds to the challenge. Quick access to weapons is cool.

And fuck those damn bear traps.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Router or shoebox are the 2 options for console gaming, lol.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
🤷‍♂️ mate when I am literally taking the piss out of myself for my gaming skills nowadays because I don't care or barely play games - that's going nowhere. Back to the action figure thread please. Goob

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hm... the weather changed to grey clouds and rain during the fight with Del Lago, I was waiting for that to see how it looks like this time around. I was particularly fascinated by the rain and thunderstorm fx in the old game, it really added a lot to the atmosphere. They played with lighting and water reflections in a way which I always found incredibly well executed, you could literally feel the nasty cold rain and wind sending shivers down your spine and making things even more scary. Seeing the church for the first time during a thunderstorm was just amazing, back then I created a save entry just for that to be able to return to it and soak in the lovely gothic atmosphere.

This has been a bit toned down in the new game in my opinion. Of course graphics have improved a lot here, you can see single raindrops and watching the rain water trickle down a wooden plank or tin roof is really cool but I don't find it as convincing as in the old game. Leon reacts to the rain now which is kinda neat, let's see how things will look in later parts.

Oh, and I was also waiting for that key moment when Las Plagas first appear - too much light there! That's another iconic part of the game which reveals the true nature of the enemy and makes the Plaga-tentacle-swinging opponents a much better fight. Like Del Lago, this scene could, no, should have been more epic.

Anyone care to give me a short rundown of the new weapons? Is the Bolt Thrower worth the Pesetas?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've gone TMP, Punisher and I can't remember the names of the rifle and shotgun. Might have to change a bit though

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
Anyone care to give me a short rundown of the new weapons? Is the Bolt Thrower worth the Pesetas?
Bolt Thrower is great for saving ammo. Has a slow reload and isn't the fastest firing weapon, but the fact you can retrieve bolts from dead enemies really goes a long way in conserving ammo. Damage isn't the highest, but what it does is help you stagger and set up for melee attacks.

You can also find mine attachments and turn it into a mine thrower at the cost of not being able to retrieve the bolts used, but you can pull off some crazy explosions by layering mines. Definitely give it a try.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for info about the bolt thrower, sounds good, gonna use it on another run. The explosive heads are definitely interesting.

EDIT: I noticed some pop-ups in the lake section, looked quite bad.

El Gigante has been dealt with and Ashley has been freed. The fight against El Gigante was awesome, really intense. I wasted a bit too much ammo on him, the dog attacks and some hand grenades, followed up by slashing the Plagas thing on his back, did the trick in the end.

Now it's back to the heli extraction point (which of course will be useless) and I guess then it's time for the fight against the village chief. That part was kinda nasty in the old RE, let's see how it turns out in the new one.

The weather has worsened on the way back to the village, a genuine storm is blowing rain around, still don't find it 100% convincing. There seems to be some sorta hue around Leon which let things look like a movie set with a wind and rain machine and spotlights all over.

EDIT #2: Maxed out the standard gun and the knife, takes way more damage before breaking now which is good. Halfway through maxing out the sniper, next is the 12 gauge.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I watched a digital foundry video which discussed a few graphical errors, I'm sure capcom will acknowledge and fix eventually

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I thought the bolt thrower was pretty useless and sold it back to the Merchant. Slowly building to max out the Killer 7, but would be nice to save the 2 million needed for the infinite rocket launcher.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Not a fan of micropayment but I think people are blowing things out of proportion here. As you said, it's optional and won't give you anything you couldn't get regularly in the game as well.

Anyway, the big battle against tons of Ganados in the hut with Luis Serra was quite the challenge, had to retry several times before I made it. Now the chainsaw sisters give me trouble, tried to fight them in the room but that's the wrong way, will have to lure them outside and run'n'gun them out.

Can't wait to see the castle but before that Mr Mendes will have to be dealt with.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
That battle with Sera in the house
As painful as usual

Good luck with the castle

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The best strat I've had for the chainsaw sisters is to lob a grenade at them as soon as the sequence starts, shotgun the dude at the door, leg it up to the higher level, go around to the far side and bottle neck them on the bridge.

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
408582-E8-E94-F-48-CF-9-B79-9-BD52-C2-F1-F56.jpg

You guys try Mercanaries yet? You can unlock the Handcannon magnum by getting an S rank in all three stages. It's not as powerful as in OG RE4, but still pretty good.