Sanders could not beat Biden

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I guess you guys don't get it.
It's not about stopping the arrival of the virus.
Yeah it's going to get here no matter what you do.

It's about keeping the death count under 1,000
possibly stopping or slowing the spread of it so you don't need to shut down business or lock most people down.

Fauci admits earlier Covid-19 mitigation efforts would have saved more American lives

By Devan Cole, CNN

Updated 2:55 PM ET, Sun April 12, 2020
Tapper asks Fauci: Do you think lives could have been saved?

Don't get what? You keep contradicting yourself. A few posts above you said the virus could have been stopped from entering the US altogether, now you decide that's not true. Next up you're saying early action could have stopped businesses having to close and lock downs taking place then you post up a video with a guy saying the exact opposite.

I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say.

Anyway, the clip was interesting about how the response would go on a second wave, hard learned lessons should mean it doesn't end up anything like this again, you'd hope.

The really interesting thing to watch out for is what everyone does the next time an epidemic turns up somewhere in the world. There's going to be some huge knee jerking going on.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The only one I disagree with is the economic/political crisis. This is a health and economic crisis and everything is politics.

The economic and political issues (as it pertains to the president's reelection) are secondary collateral damage. The political and economic crisis is best mitigated by mitigating the contagion. Instead, the president has focused on the secondaries.

For instance, the president keeps talking about reopening the economy. But without pervasive testing, this is not going to happen.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Don't get what? You keep contradicting yourself. A few posts above you said the virus could have been stopped from entering the US altogether, now you decide that's not true. Next up you're saying early action could have stopped businesses having to close and lock downs taking place then you post up a video with a guy saying the exact opposite.

I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say.

Maybe I'm not explaining things clearly enough.

There's been several dozen ways (+) this scenario could have played out, all with different results. Yes, sadly you need to weigh economic costs and lives involved.

The president of the US made a gamble that the pandemic wasn't serious. He tried to politicize it. Not an effective way to fight a virus if you ask me. By the time he respond to it in full it had already swept into the nation and infected almost every pocket in it.

By March 16th a lot of businesses agencies and organizations had already started to self police.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Maybe I'm not explaining things clearly enough.

There's been several dozen ways (+) this scenario could have played out, all with different results. Yes, sadly you need to weigh economic costs and lives involved.

The president of the US made a gamble that the pandemic wasn't serious. He tried to politicize it. Not an effective way to fight a virus if you ask me. By the time he respond to it in full it had already swept into the nation and infected almost every pocket in it.

By March 16th a lot of businesses agencies and organizations had already started to self police.

Yes there are several ways this could have been played and most of them have been taken by different countries. We're still in the middle of this so who knows who was right, yet? When a heavy lockdown country opens up the doors again will we see a sudden return to the same thing? Lighter touch countries are betting that their approach is more sustainable long term (because this isn't going away without a vaccine).

I have no idea who is right, no one does, yet. The number of deaths now is just that, the number of deaths now, it is no proof of the long term success of the action, or inaction taken.

As for what trump said and did, the guy is just a cunt, that he has reacted to this in the only way he knows - to somehow try and massage or defend his own ego - should come as no surprise to anyone. He doesn't understand the difference between a political, health or economic issue, he can only see how it makes him look, and that's all he cares about.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The economic and political issues (as it pertains to the president's reelection) are secondary collateral damage. The political and economic crisis is best mitigated by mitigating the contagion. Instead, the president has focused on the secondaries.

For instance, the president keeps talking about reopening the economy. But without pervasive testing, this is not going to happen.

I don't know if the political is collateral, as Lithy implied. If they use the virus as an excuse to close voting locations in certain blue areas, while diverting funds from the post office so that it runs out of money before the election to excuse them to stop taking absentee votes, then the virus would be a means to directly interfere with the election. This could be used to depress turnout in cities.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, we are at the point where more jobs were created under Jimmy Carter in 4 years than the Reagan, Bush, Bush and Trump administrations combined (23+ years).

Xavier

20 Year Member
Well, we are at the point where more jobs were created under Jimmy Carter in 4 years than the Reagan, Bush, Bush and Trump administrations combined (23+ years).

Yeah but from what I hear the store shelves were all empty and there was miles long lines to buy gasoline. Interest rates were 25% or some ludicrous amount. Having money and a job doesn't mean much if you can't do anything with it, in fact it sounds like slavery to me.

This same thing could be happening soon. It's been over 40 years now, we are due.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Yeah but from what I hear the store shelves were all empty and there was miles long lines to buy gasoline. Interest rates were 25% or some ludicrous amount. Having money and a job doesn't mean much if you can't do anything with it, in fact it sounds like slavery to me.

This same thing could be happening soon. It's been over 40 years now, we are due.

Serious question - do you have any anxiety issues during 'normal times'?

Xavier

20 Year Member
Serious question - do you have any anxiety issues during 'normal times'?

I would hope not.

It's been awhile since I've lived through "normal times" though... if ever.

Pretty sure this doesn't count.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

There was no gas shortage in 1979 anymore than there was toilet paper shortage last month. It was just a bunch of panic buying.

Inflation was rather high. Mostly due to the explosion of economic growth.

The Fed did raise interest rates to tamp down economic growth. Carter would have been reelected if they didn't. The Fed Chair (Volcker) stayed on and continued to crash the economy well into the Reagan administration. But everybody blames carter and credits Reagan.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There was no gas shortage in 1979 anymore than there was toilet paper shortage last month. It was just a bunch of panic buying.

Inflation was rather high. Mostly due to the explosion of economic growth.

The Fed did raise interest rates to tamp down economic growth. Carter would have been reelected if they didn't. The Fed Chair (Volcker) stayed on and continued to crash the economy well into the Reagan administration. But everybody blames carter and credits Reagan.

I was going to make a big post about Carter's failed corrupt infrastructure deal in Iran which led to the US funding the opposition movement in Iran which in turn led to both the revolution and anti-american sentiment. If Carter never sent his boys to extort the Iranian government, so many acts of terrorism and human rights abuse would have been avoided.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Charles, have you read:
68a1bcbbaa0f58fc0ae199ba254c22b9.jpg

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I don't know if the political is collateral, as Lithy implied. If they use the virus as an excuse to close voting locations in certain blue areas, while diverting funds from the post office so that it runs out of money before the election to excuse them to stop taking absentee votes, then the virus would be a means to directly interfere with the election. This could be used to depress turnout in cities.

Dude, this is a terrifying thought. You just made me empty my bowels....

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Wisconsin primary was a trial run for this tactic. Already pre-approved by SCOTUS.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
So, anyway. What does everyone think of Biden. In 2008 I thought he would make a great presidential candidate. I have no strong opinion on him now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Biden will have a competent cabinet assembled around him that can effectively run the government without him doing much. Unlike Trump, he's not a micromanager. We would probably see him a little soft on the GOP after what they did to the country (and no, that's not dramatic. The refusal to accept the nomination of Garland lopsided the supreme court for the foreseeable future.) But I think anything short of a snapback on all of Trump's initiatives (the destruction of net neutrality under Ajit Pai, the dismantling of the EPA, CPFB, deregulation of financial and investment institutions, the dismantling of education) would be an ideological failure. A good president would bring his entire cabinet to trial. Freeze the assets of Eric Prince and his entire family. Seize all of Robert Mercer's family wealth and burn it on live tv. etc.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Biden will have a competent cabinet assembled around him that can effectively run the government without him doing much. Unlike Trump, he's not a micromanager. We would probably see him a little soft on the GOP after what they did to the country (and no, that's not dramatic. The refusal to accept the nomination of Garland lopsided the supreme court for the foreseeable future.) But I think anything short of a snapback on all of Trump's initiatives (the destruction of net neutrality under Ajit Pai, the dismantling of the EPA, CPFB, deregulation of financial and investment institutions, the dismantling of education) would be an ideological failure. A good president would bring his entire cabinet to trial. Freeze the assets of Eric Prince and his entire family. Seize all of Robert Mercer's family wealth and burn it on live tv. etc.

You know the last part won't happen though, a policy of retribution, justified or not, is not something any politician wants to set a precedent for.