Shawn - $499 prize for designing a Neo-Geo game title logo!

8man

Administrator
Would look like this on your shelf.

m6za.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So wait, if this is a boot (fake shit) and it isn't sanctioned by SNK Playmore, why is it being advertised? And why is it even being made?

Money talks...and in this case bullshit too.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Back from vacation.

Here's my final Multigame Logo design.
MG1 and MG2 are all hand drawn letters.

When the spine is vertical, you can easily read: 161-IN-1

8man

wxpc.jpg

What does it look like if you switch the colors of the M and G and make the 161 "chip" flat instead of pseudo 3D/2.5D?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Are these bootleg carts gonna be limited/numbered, or just a general sale item in the Neo Store?

If it's the latter, then why not ask Shawn for a hi-res PDF of the cover, add your logo and have it professionally digitally printed for your own preferences... 8man?

Shawn

snkusa.com
The plan is holographic stripes (represents the full genera spectrum), NEO GEO logo stamped in gold foil, full offset printing, glossy cart sticker with round cut corners, & numbered on insert and cart sticker. You can have your logo of choice printed for $1,590 (actual cost for same quality insert print run), and it would be matching quality to what’s coming soon.

About this double standard accusation I keep seeing… I never set the market rules and don’t use the market forums directly to sell. The rules our market forums now have are something that the community and the mod team developed over the years. I don't agree with all of them (50 posts before a new member can participate for example), but also choose not to intervene. The NeoStore isn’t under the jurisdiction of the Neo-Geo market forums and it’s a separate site, though I understand the possible conflict with a logo contest offending those who are flustered by what our rules outside of the market forums currently permit for discussion. Do we even have a rule against such discussion?

The temporary banner at the top and this thread aren't about pushing 161 AES sales. It's not like you've ever been subjected to the NeoStore logo or were spammed by newsletters. Newsletters are only sent to willing NeoStore subscribers and never to those who choose to unsubscribe. This is a contest to design a game logo for the neo with a chance of winning a prize, hopefully it's a $500 prize out of the $700 paid to 99designs, but I'm uncertain what commission 99designs keeps. You should know that there are zero complaints about this 161 AES in the NeoStore from patrons. Literally absolute zero negativity has been received store side, and in contrast, there has been strong support and demand for this item. While this item was long sold out from Fred’s refund campaign, this was the most asked about neo item over the past year. Now 22/25 pieces have presold with only 3 remaining and the release is expected mid to late March, 2014.

I have unofficial Neo-Geo items in my collection, some of which are conversions; many other serious collectors do as well. I have bought collections over the years that contained conversions (some were correctly labeled as such, others were not) and plenty of other unofficial Neo-Geo items that were not produced by SNK but are 3rd party instead. I’ve sold off some of those conversions over the years and they were always advertised for what they were, unofficial conversions, so no problems with the transactions occurred. I’ll eventually sell off other conversions from my inventory when I get around to it, always advertised truthfully. The NeoStore didn’t make the 161-in-1, this is basically a conversion project that involves converting a 161-in-1 MVS cartridge to AES, which is essentially the parts of a Daedalus + 161 MVS cart, from my understanding. A grand amount of effort is being vested into the highest quality printed art for this conversion, but is it really that offensive? Is this any more or less perverse than the unofficial shockbox inserts that are being created, printed and sold?

There are extremely high quality magic card proxies out there, to the point that you could never tell the difference with the naked eye, essentially unofficial prints of magic cards that have the reverse/back side of an authentic magic card. Obviously, the problem is when these high quality proxies are advertised as authentic and priced/sold for full value of authentic, but no one has an issue when they are advertised truthfully. Though eBay certainly permits it, if a MTG community wants to completely ban the sale of proxies from their market forums, that’s totally understandable because not everyone is 100% honest and/or completely knowledgeable on what’s authentic and what’s not.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Shawn.

Regardless of any forum rules or stipulations that have formed in this marketplace over the past decade, for all intents and purposes, the 161-in-1 cartridge is - essentially - a cart containing a combination of the copyrighted works of SNK(P?), other developers/publishers and also a load of chinese pirated "plus" editions of existing games. Therefore, it's not difficult to understand how members are able to draw their own parallels between this upcoming product and what is considered a "bootleg" item. Certainly, it's not classified as an unofficial repro or a direct counterfeit item (thankfully), but it still has something of a piracy aroma surrounding it - from the general outside looking in (as per the chinese MVS multicarts on the market today).

Also, may I ask, how are these being produced? Are they created from sac carts and cases or are they going to use the same shells and cases NG-DEV use for their AES releases? If it is the latter, then that is at least something to be positive about vs the destruction of perfectly good carts.

p.s. this is the best logo entry I have seen to date:

http%3A%2F%2Fd8u1nmttd4enu.cloudfront.net%2Fdesigns%2F32696052~60bebb12f8a203ba731a77dc03f0b12c4ff45839-original

Shawn

snkusa.com
I’m not sure if anything is sacrificed beyond the MVS cartridge. It’s safe to assume that the snap cases, cart shells, and PCBs will all be similar to what NG-DEV uses, since our source is the same. This umbrella description that’s found on the listing pertains to the item and its components: This is NOT an official SNK item. Made in Canada.

I see elements of MotW, Last Blade, and SVC Chaos in logo submission #202 from bujubatman. I don't know if it's the best but this designer is definitely talented and successfully simulates the styles of past neo game logos.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
.. oh well...

Last edited:

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I see elements of MotW, Last Blade, and SVC Chaos in logo submission #202 from bujubatman. I don't know if it's the best but this designer is definitely talented and successfully simulates the styles of past neo game logos.

I agree since it's not a Last Blade cart the logo should be neutral and unique and not associated with one game.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Why is the Neo Store doing this? I thought neo-geo.com was against bootlegs.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Not when there's money to be made.

And yes, it's clearly a bootleg. Not some gray area sorta stuff; just clearly a bootleg.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Could SNK even give the OK to something like this? Do they own the rights to all the games?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Honestly, 8man's is the best looking among any of the finalist choices. I like the flattened chip variant suggested by Xian Xi, although the blue/yellow choice between the M and G don't make much difference to me.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
A grand amount of effort is being vested into the highest quality printed art for this conversion, but is it really that offensive? Is this any more or less perverse than the unofficial shockbox inserts that are being created, printed and sold?
Yes. and: much more.

Also, this isn't even a conversion and it's funding DGE.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Methinks this will be taken down shortly.

It's not coming down. SNK isn't in a position to do anything about it. The MVS multi carts have existed for a while and can be easily found at numerous places. I'm not really against this as the same shit storm was raised a year ago about the same product and it didn't accomplish a thing aside from people bitching back and forth over the same tired arguments.

NinSEGA

Banned
I could see if this was using original content, but this is filled with IP owned by SNK.

And companies love to protect their IP. I expect a cease & desist email from SNK's legal team will be in Shawn's inbox in about a week.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I could see if this was using original content, but this is filled with IP owned by SNK.

And companies love to protect their IP. I expect a cease & desist email from SNK's legal team will be in Shawn's inbox in about a week.

SNK hasn't cared about their ip's in years. Plus you need to remember that this same product was sold last year and nothing bad ever came from it aside from a nearly identical thread. I'd would be a lot less surprised to see NGF try to raise a fuss over all the games they "own" that are on the cart.