Shoes (mainly running/walking)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Lately noticed that between my ragged-ass carpet and my near decade-old Air Max 95's, my shoes were not going well. Feet fucking killing me (also I am old, about to be 43, doesn't help). Worn Nikes for so long that I had never really thought much at all about other brands but finally realized I should.

So. Googled the shit out of Hoka, New Balance, Asics, Saucony, Nike, On, et al, as to fit and comfort. Decided to try out a pair of New Balance 1080x Fresh Foam from Zappos since they're supposed to be wide and plush comfort. Got them a couple days later and said hell yes now my toes aren't killing me all day. Ordered a second pair to make sure zero need for the old Nikes.

Still, though, I'm very curious as to Hoka and On, in particular. Sounds like Asics run both thin and long, which is definitely not my thing, but maybe if sizing up in width?

Promise not to infer anything else by shoe size unless you post side-by-side pics. [DO NOT DO THAT SRS].

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I currently rotate between 4 pairs of New Balance. Used to be a Nike guy but find NB more comfortable, cheaper and similar quality.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I usually wear hiking boots at work. Then Nike Court's for lifting and everything else. I used to have a nice pair of Brooke's when I had a job where I was on my feet all day but stationary. Those things saved my back

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
When I'm running I used Asics for a long time. Tried Hokas and enjoy it, but it feels like a bit too much cushion for my liking.

Definitely go to a shoe store and get sized and assessed for your running style. It will help tremendously in the long run with looking up shoes that meet your individual needs.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I stick with the classic Adidas, Puma, NB and Asics. I stopped buying Nike years ago, every pair I've ever owned fit like shit and wore out or just straight up fell apart very fast.

I have a pair of Saucony specifically for walking but they're so ugly I don't wear them for day to day stuff. They're incredibly comfortable though.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Nordstrom Rack is my go to place for shoes. I usually stick with New Balance or Brooks, but really whatever feels right. Not attached to a specific brand.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
are you wearing shoes indoors in your home?
I used to absolutely not wear shoes inside, pretty hard and fast rule for me for as long as I can remember, but then I noticed that walking around my house had gotten so it really wore on the soles of my feet. Bad callouses on both. Would go to my parents' for lunch or whatever and not have any problems, which I realized was due to the carpets. Theirs had been replaced a few years prior, mine never has been, house is about 20-25 years old now, so it's not great. Figured shoes in the house would be easier than re-carpeting for now at least.
I have big AND wide feet, and Asics Gel Nimbus 25 are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, no contest. Feels like walking on a big ol' pair of titties. If you can get over how they look then give them a whirl.
I actually quite liked the style on those, little out there but in a good way IMO. Review sites were all over the map on how they actually fit, some said plenty wide, several said too narrow, like, hmm. I am indeed tempted to give those also a shot.

Much appreciated replies to all. @roker you know you're getting old when you're browsing "podiatrist recommended slippers" on Amazon, lol.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Treat yourself to some new carpet.

Reactions: jro

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Get some house shoes.

I walk 15 miles everyday for work, and even though they aren’t my style, Sketchers Work shoes have saved my knees and back.

I tried Hokas for a stint as my running shoe; soles were too big. Like walking on a scalfolding plank. Comfy; unstable, tho.

Back to Mizunos for me. I get fitted at a local running store. Learned a lot from the clerks.

Reactions: jro

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Get some house shoes.

I walk 15 miles everyday for work, and even though they aren’t my style, Sketchers Work shoes have saved my knees and back.

I tried Hokas for a stint as my running shoe; soles were too big. Like walking on a scalfolding plank. Comfy; unstable, tho.

Back to Mizunos for me. I get fitted at a local running store. Learned a lot from the clerks.
why not house slippers? the thought of wearing shoes for hours at home doesn't seem as comfortable.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Barefoot or socks in the house

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
For everyday walking around, I wear the New Balance 993. Perhaps they're not the most stylish looking shoes, but I like them, and they're super comfortable and very well made. I found over the years that while some shoes are great for a while, it doesn't take long for the foam (or whatever the cushy part is) to break down and become less comfortable, which is especially noticeable on longer days. But these are quite durable, and I haven't had that problem. They officially won me over for good on a vacation last year when I spent day after day wandering around the Disney theme parks with the kids.

I should mention that they are on the pricey side compared to most of NB's offerings, but that is likely due to the higher quality and the fact that they're made in the US. I recall one of the guys telling me "dude, you could've gotten Jordans for that price." Haha

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
New Balance the classic choice

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
mrs moe got me some allbirds recently. i feel embarrassed admitting I wear a shoe made by a company named allbirds, but whatever they are comfortable.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
why not house slippers? the thought of wearing shoes for hours at home doesn't seem as comfortable.

Agreed.

‘House shoes’ is a colloquialism for slippers.

I have some from Daiso that have swifter-like dusting ribbons on the bottoms 😅.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I just buy good inserts and get the shoes I like. My son makes fun of me for still getting "pandas", lol.