So did anyone buy a 3DS?

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Unless the NGP is released with some crazy-awesome pricing (say $199 wifi, $249-$299 3G) I doubt Nintendo will give the 3DS a price drop for atleast another year.

Yeah. But it's Sony, and their tech always comes at a price. I'm expecting at least 350$ for the 3G version, but we'll see. It might be worth it even if it's expensive, I doubt they'll get careless with the launch titles.

aria

Former Moderator
I am amused that Sony would name its next generation system after the success story that was the NGP. Might as well just keep it in the Sony product line-up and call it Betamax II.

As for pricing, be wary of the prices that Apple has proven people are willing to spend for G3 connectivity (i.e. $100 more than regular wifi).

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
yeah you can get a neo geo pocket for pretty cheap if you shop around dude.

as for the 3DS, i want one. but by the time my birthday rolls around in july there will be an established library of games, and it'll be cheaper, so i've decided to ask for one for my birthday. til then i can wait. no biggie.

There are like two or three games coming out between now and July... And little reason to expect a price drop in 4 months.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I got the Cosmo Black with SSFIV: 3D, Pilotwing Resort, and Steel Diver. I'm loving the crap out of SSFIV. The "over the shoulder" 3D effect is pretty bad ass and I love using the "Lite" mode to pull off moves I couldn't do normally. I played Steel Diver last night, and I'm pretty "meh" about it. The 3D effects are not terribly noticeable, and the game just seems kinda boring to me. Don't know why some many reviewers call it a "must buy". I haven't played Pilotwings Resort yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight. If anyone wants to add me, my code is in my sig.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I just know that The Big N is going to come out with another color in a year and another better version in a few years, so I'm going to pass. Not enough games on it yet for me to want it. Maybe when Kid Icarus, Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time come out then, maybe. I'm still pissed they didn't go with two analog pads.

I haven't looked into much of the NGP, but I hope that will do well. I never really use my PSP other then listening to music and now that I have an iPod Touch, I hardly ever use it. Maybe if you can play the older PSP games and the price is right, I'll consider it. I'm still happy with my Lite, still one of the best portable systems.

I decided to wait to get one, seeing as how I don't like any of the games that are out for it. I'm waiting until Ocarina of Time (though I absolutely hate the idea of an OoT remake, I'll still buy it and play it), the new Paper Mario, and the new Super Mario game.
That is when I'll be getting my 3DS. I never was crazy about getting consoles at launch...

Reality Check

World Hero
I'll get a 3DS when the 3DSi XL comes out or when Mega Man Legends 3 drops. Whichever comes first

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Or if they release a portable Smash Bros. That would be awesome.

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
I have literally gone through 4 3DS' now due to dead or stuck pixels. My current one has a dead one on the left hand side of the top screen that you can only see in 3D mode (so it kinda stands out) My first one had a stuck white on on the left hand side of the bottom screen, my second had a green one in the left middle of the top screen. My third had 2 one dead smack in the middle and a green one to the left of it. This is getting ridiculous.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Stuck pixels doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, you must have the worst luck ever (or the store got a bad batch?)

aria

Former Moderator
I have literally gone through 4 3DS' now due to dead or stuck pixels. My current one has a dead one on the left hand side of the top screen that you can only see in 3D mode (so it kinda stands out) My first one had a stuck white on on the left hand side of the bottom screen, my second had a green one in the left middle of the top screen. My third had 2 one dead smack in the middle and a green one to the left of it. This is getting ridiculous.

This reminds me of TonK's misadventures with the PSP at launch.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd totally play a 3DS game called 'Tonk's Misadventures.'

It could be filled with tons of neo-geo.com memes.

God, if only.....

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had to google NGP :emb:, looks ok, but not out for ages yet?

Sony hasn't really announced much, other than it's coming and it's going to be uber powerful. They also haven't announced a price, which is what I'm afraid of.

I'm waiting for the press conference where they bring out a 3DS and be all like "LOL, 3DS" and show off the NGP. Everyone will be like "AWESOME!" Then they announce the price, and everyone will be like "WTF ARE YOU KIDDING?"

aria

Former Moderator
I'm waiting for the press conference where they bring out a 3DS and be all like "LOL, 3DS" and show off the NGP. Everyone will be like "AWESOME!" Then they announce the price, and everyone will be like "WTF ARE YOU KIDDING?"

Sounds like what they did with the PS3 launch.

Will it have Ridge Racer?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I was impressed with the PSP the first time I played it, then I realized it's the same shit available on home consoles.

The ds provided pocket, on the go gaming.

The added features of the 3DS right now make the machine one hell of a classy portable.

And the possibilities are endless on upgrades.

Who knows what's gonna happen, but I for one will not be buying a NGP - just not interested in complicated games.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
After a few days with the system there is one issue I'm having with it. It's the fact that the top screen is larger than the bottom screen. Because of that, whenever I have the 3DS in my pocket and enough pressure is placed upon it the edges of the bottom screen leave an imprint on the top screen. It's not a serious issue at this time, but if my 3DS were hit hard enough...it could potentially damage the 3D screen.

On a happier note, I personally can't wait for the tranlation for Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle to be completed. If there's one genre that can benefit the most from 3D it's puzzle games.

Last edited:

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
Stuck pixels doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, you must have the worst luck ever (or the store got a bad batch?)

That's what I am thinking but I went to the next closest store and got two and had the same issue so I am just going to wait for another shipment I think. I noticed another one on my screen last night when playing street fighter. One pixel that can't display the color blue.

After a few days with the system there is one issue I'm having with it. It's the fact that the top screen is larger than the bottom screen. Because of that, whenever I have the 3DS in my pocket and enough pressure is placed upon it the edges of the bottom screen leave an imprint on the top screen. It's not a serious issue at this time, but if my 3DS were hit hard enough...it could potentially damage the 3D screen.

I noticed that with my first one but the others I haven't had the issue. Also, my first one the analog nub was much tougher to slide the the other three and kinda would get caught. I thought it was just how I was pressing it until I felt the difference of the others.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I got a Cosmo Black 3DS with SSFIV 3D Edition. :)

The only things that bothers me were,

Not having the start and select above the Y,X,B,A buttons like on the original DS.

Not having the power and home buttons above the slider analog stick, lower the stick a little.

The L+R shoulder buttons can easily be pressed which makes you activate the camera by accident.

The Y,X,B,A buttons are kinda hard to press even start, select, power and home too.

The top screen closes way to fast.

The Dpad is hard to reach but I rather use the slider analog stick anyways.

headphone jack was moved to the center.

No cool pack in game cart.

No second slider analog stick.

The things that I like were,

How the volume, wifi and 3D sliders were located.

The bigger top screen.

Style of the 3DS.

Came with SD card.

Man I played SM64 DS on the 3DS and I hated holding the Y button down to make Mario run instead of using the analog slider stick to walk or run like on SM64 on the N64. Wario wasn't needed except Luigi and Yoshi and Daisy or Toad should have been added instead.

SM64 really should be remade again with the graphics of SMG and also redo the controls too.

Last edited:

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is the surprise game of the launch for me. I picked up Pilot Wings and Ridge Racer but all I can play is Shadow Wars. It plays like Fire Emblem meets Advanced Wars. The 3D effect works well with the game, its not overpowering but everything has a really nice depth effect.

Its pretty challenging on the hard setting too as the CPU is always counter attacking.

The story is just standard war stuff but the game play is really addictive. I hear the story takes over 20 hours and I have been unlocking all these bonus modes as I play through the game.

Overall I am really enjoying the system the only thing that bugs me is I find it awkward to hold. I plan to pick up the 3Ds Comfort Grip when it comes out to see if that helps.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Having a lot of fun with SSFIV: 3D and Pilotwings Resort.

Steel Diver is boring the shit out of me. Thinking of trading in towards LEGO Star Wars III or Pokemon Black/White.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple

I noticed the same thing. For now, I'm still leaving the piece of thin (styrofoam?) in between the two sides of the 3ds when I'm not playing it. Hmmmm.:scratch: