So is all 16-bit era stuff just retarded expensive now?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's quite a bargain of a system. I'm actually surprised the GameGear has gained no value in the last 10 years. The lynx has been more collectible than the GG.....
The next Retron needs a GG slot, and then it'll take off. I sold a a massive set of my duplicates for next to nothing.

You want a real laugh, scan the /r/Gamecollecting subreddit. People get excited over sports titles there....

The problem is people think anything old is now valuable, which is a fuking joke. Contra NES is a $5 at most.

LOL…sports carts…yeah. '96 Madden…$22…teh rarez…

I will say that some games transcend copies made. In my opinion, Contra isn't a $5 cart…it's a $15 cart. Not because of rarity…because of quality. Now…within the standard NES library, I wouldn't give more that $20 for any game if I had my say…but again…there's that quality thing. Some games may be harder to find…but they also suck a fat one.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
To save the living room space and money I just go with roms,
and to economize even further with my time and hard drive clutter I'd just youtube a speedrun.

Nostalgia is an oddly destructive thing to get hooked on; you revisit a time when you were younger, when relatives and beloved pets were still alive, when gas was cheap, when you were happy etc....

But for that weak buzz you get, the crash hits like a truck once you turn that console off (and all your problems come flooding back in).

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Wish I grabbed MMX2 and 3 as well with Demons Crest before this all happened. :(

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
On Demon's Crest, that was an immediate day one purchase when I got my SNES back in high school. That mainly had to do with being a HUGE fan of the original Gargoyle's Quest on Game Boy...which I've completed over 300 times.

Most of the people that lament not having it are the same people who probably first heard about it via Game Grumps or, some other Youtube wanna be.

Jon

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Guess I never got into the collector mindset. I buy games that are cheap and that I am going to play. I mostly have been into Sega collecting so that has helped with prices as well. I just have a hard time paying stupid prices for packaging and inserts when that stuff just sits on the shelf and is never used. Guess the good thing about the game hobby is there is room for everyone.

One thing I do appreciate about the current state of things is that it is easier to get replacement parts for broken systems. I just scored some free DMG Gameboys, an SNES, and a Dreamcast. All work but need some TLC to return then to their former glory. I was able to get all of the replacement Gameboy parts off (battery covers and screen covers) ebay for a great price.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Little Samson was 1993 wasn't it? That sort of qualifies as "16-bit era", as much as Game Gear does at least.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
On Demon's Crest, that was an immediate day one purchase when I got my SNES back in high school. That mainly had to do with being a HUGE fan of the original Gargoyle's Quest on Game Boy...which I've completed over 300 times.

Most of the people that lament not having it are the same people who probably first heard about it via Game Grumps or, some other Youtube wanna be.

Jon

I learned about it through Nintendo Power #100, never did see a copy for sale ever, and I doubt I'd be willing to pay $100+ for it now.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Some games may be harder to find…but they also suck a fat one.

You know, I think more often than not, the inverse is true when it comes to the NES.

There are many late era titles of some of the highest quality on the system. Did they not sell because they sucked or because they looked like old hat in 1992? That's not even counting production run and distribution factors.

So, again as usual, rarer = better.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Over the past 15 years I've come to realize that market value has been steadily increasing with a direct correlation to the rise of the 'hipster' lifestyle. I live downtown in an area that's mostly populated with these flannel wearing, mustache waxing, asshats. It's readily apparent when I walk into record stores or pawn shops and they have copies of extremely common games behind lock and key and going for prices that don't correspond in any way with availability. It breaks my heart. There was a line outside of the Record Exchange when the Retron 5 came out. I mean, if you want to just play emulated crap - why don't you just download it? Leave the market to those who actually appreciate it.

I'm all for eugenics in this regard.

yup. fashion statements and bragging rights given a whole new spin - the present day 'collector' is no longer the oddball recluse but rather a kind of curator of the everyday with a refined taste.
its a bit weird. I wonder what it will evolve (or devolve) into some years down the road.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
You know, I think more often than not, the inverse is true when it comes to the NES.

There are many late era titles of some of the highest quality on the system. Did they not sell because they sucked or because they looked like old hat in 1992? That's not even counting production run and distribution factors.

So, again as usual, rarer = better.

I remember back then, once we "kids" upgraded to 16-bit systems we stopped caring about the 8-bit stuff.

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
I remember getting some nice deals on clearanced NES games at KB Toys back in the mid 90s.

Got stuff like Mega Man 6, Final Fantasy, Star Tropics and a couple others for $10-15 new. Brings back some nice memories of better times.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I remember getting some nice deals on clearanced NES games at KB Toys back in the mid 90s.

Got stuff like Mega Man 6, Final Fantasy, Star Tropics and a couple others for $10-15 new. Brings back some nice memories of better times.

Same here! I scooped Mega Man 6 out of the Kay-Bee clearance bin for like $5-10. I remember some time in the late 90's (like 97 or 98) going in to a Toys R Us and seeing a shelf FULL of copies of Star Tropics. Like at least 20 copies. $5 each. And I didn't buy one. :(

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
Same here! I scooped Mega Man 6 out of the Kay-Bee clearance bin for like $5-10. I remember some time in the late 90's (like 97 or 98) going in to a Toys R Us and seeing a shelf FULL of copies of Star Tropics. Like at least 20 copies. $5 each. And I didn't buy one. :(

My dad brought home Mega Man 6 one day as a random surprise, so I've got a soft spot for it. It was also the first Mega Man game I ever played, so it's got that going for it too.

I missed out on a few nice things over the years too. I remember buying a used Jaguar system from an EB games in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s (this was years after I'd seen any Jaguar stuff for sale anywhere. Even the EB employees were surprised to see that thing in the store). It was bundled with a 6 Button Pro Controller, but when I got it home, I couldn't get it to work, and since that was the only Jaguar stuff they had, they couldn't replace any of it so they gave me a refund and threw it in the garbage. Now those damn pro controllers go for $150+. :(

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I remember mint condition Sol Deace was 9.99 plus shipping on eBay three years ago. Now you will see $70 +...........

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!

I remember as a kid going into a Toys R Us after the SNES gen was over... they had two games still and a few copies of each... Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and Super Castlevania 4. If only I had foresight and money at the time... oh well. :p

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
I remember as a kid going into a Toys R Us after the SNES gen was over... they had two games still and a few copies of each... Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and Super Castlevania 4. If only I had foresight and money at the time... oh well. :p

I know it isn't much of a consolation, but Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is super shitty, and way worse than the NES originals.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I remember back then, once we "kids" upgraded to 16-bit systems we stopped caring about the 8-bit stuff.

I think backwards compatibility changed that silly notion a bit. We tended to hold onto more games going into the next generation because our older games were still playable coupled with the fact that launches didn't come with solid library to make us forget about last gen.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Retro game collecting (not playing) has become trendy, and thus has attracted yuppy instant collectors (including retro hipsters) which in turn attracted professional resellers (the same folks who ruined comics, baseball cards, beanie babies, toys, you name it). All of this has poisoned the well of the collector market and lead to vast price inflation.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Arcade boards are even worse and I don't see a crash coming for those due to the fact that more and more keep failing =/.

As far as older consoles. I think if shit like the ps3/360/ps4/wiiu/xbox one actually had a good library people wouldn't have to flock to the old stuff.