So is all 16-bit era stuff just retarded expensive now?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm seeing crappy prices for Jaguar and 32X stuff now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
GameGear stuff is still cheap, probably because technically it's only 8-bit.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I could understand paying a hefty amount if the game is still sealed... although I sure as heck wouldn't spend $1,000+ on some vga b.s.
Under $1,000 is fine though.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Kids who grew up in that era are feeling old now and want to go back and relieve their youth.
Yeah, we're getting up there in age and it sucks.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I saw a guy bragging about how he scored a CIB copy of Forgotten Worlds for $15 on Facebook the other day. I checked around and saw the going price is $18-$20. Not too long ago I remember that game going for $3-$5.

Guess I might start thinking about liquidating my Genesis collection.. ahahah.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I saw a guy bragging about how he scored a CIB copy of Forgotten Worlds for $15 on Facebook the other day. I checked around and saw the going price is $18-$20. Not too long ago I remember that game going for $3-$5.

Guess I might start thinking about liquidating my Genesis collection.. ahahah.

nigga CIB Forgotten Worlds has always been 10-15 bucks

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
I think people are rediscovering the games of their youth, and at the same time discovering the games they missed back then for the first time. Most of the Genesis "Grid" games that you couldn't get rid of five years ago are going for some pretty high prices. ToeJam & Earl is going for an easy $50 these days, which seems kind of nuts.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I think that all the NES,Gen,Snes close machines that have been made available has inflated market price and demand for 16-bit era stuff.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I think that all the NES,Gen,Snes close machines that have been made available has inflated market price and demand for 16-bit era stuff.

Probably true. Much like what CMVSes have done to the MVS market.

Genesis is still relatively cheap compared to Nintendo systems, though.

I'm so fucking glad that I bought the bulk of my collection 10 years ago.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Yes, pretty much all of it is crazy right now. I completed my Genesis want list in early 2014 (have about 250 complete games) and things have exploded even since then. Think I paid $50 for Grindstormer like 18 months ago, now its like $180 or something. Even games you don't think as being "rare" are creeping. And then there's Super Nintendo which is a whole nother story. Turbo stuff has always been high but is going even higher. Seems to me like there will have to be a crash at some point.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Seems to me like there will have to be a crash at some point.

Man, I hope so. I don't give a shit that my collection is worth bank now. I want to go back to the days of picking up CIB Genny games off of eBay for $6 shipped.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Seems to me like there will have to be a crash at some point.

I've been thinking the same for months, it has to happen.

Very fast price increasing in a very short period of time.

I think in this fever concurs several factors: social media (awareness about retro gaming events and associations), current and past generation consoles are/was somewhat boring, grown up kids having money, and the usual speculation.

Crash aside, I don't expect Rendering Ranger being in the two ciphers price range anytime soon.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm so fucking glad that I bought the bulk of my collection 10 years ago.

Who you tellin? Shiiiit if it wasn't for good CL scoops I wouldn't have the majority of my NES and SNES collection, and that was paying a lot for them years ago.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Johnny come-latelys deserve to be punished with high prices.

You should have acknowledged the existence of the SNES maybe before 2013, little Johnny?

Now you're paying the price.

And I'm flippin' for profit.

Uhhh I love it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
thing is early 90s pop culture is becoming fashionable once more, over the next few years remnants of the first years of the decade will be integrated into high and low 'art'. I have a feeling there's a connection there, it's not mere nostalgia.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Most 16-bit games are still relatively cheap IF - and that's a big IF - you are willing to buy loose carts or games that work but are imperfect cosmetically. OTOH, just emulate or get an everdrive and leave the collecting to people with more money than sense. I played on a Neo cab at a recent convention that was clandestinely running emulated games. Had no fucking clue until I was informed after the fact.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's the young crowd discovering what we already knew.

Musch of us wanted these games in the 90's…but were too young/broke to get them all. In the late 90's/early 2000's we had the $$ and bought what we wanted. around 2007-8 the market pooped out because most of us had what we wanted. Now…the younger crowd that wasn't even around to play these games when new is discovering them and the demand is rising again.

The problem is, most of them don't understand that they shouldn't be paying $80 for a bruised copy of Super Metroid.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Over the past 15 years I've come to realize that market value has been steadily increasing with a direct correlation to the rise of the 'hipster' lifestyle. I live downtown in an area that's mostly populated with these flannel wearing, mustache waxing, asshats. It's readily apparent when I walk into record stores or pawn shops and they have copies of extremely common games behind lock and key and going for prices that don't correspond in any way with availability. It breaks my heart. There was a line outside of the Record Exchange when the Retron 5 came out. I mean, if you want to just play emulated crap - why don't you just download it? Leave the market to those who actually appreciate it.

I'm all for eugenics in this regard.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
GameGear stuff is still cheap, probably because technically it's only 8-bit.

It's quite a bargain of a system. I'm actually surprised the GameGear has gained no value in the last 10 years. The lynx has been more collectible than the GG.....
The next Retron needs a GG slot, and then it'll take off. I sold a a massive set of my duplicates for next to nothing.

You want a real laugh, scan the /r/Gamecollecting subreddit. People get excited over sports titles there....

The problem is people think anything old is now valuable, which is a fuking joke. Contra NES is a $5 at most.

Last edited: