Target leaving Canada, Walmart tightens stranglehold

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
So, apparently Target has lost a shitload of money in Canada and they are now leaving. 17, 000 people will lose their jobs. I dislike Walmart and was hoping Target could provide an alternative, but now it seems Walmart will tighten its hold. It already put Zellers out of business.

Oh, and Sony is closing all of it's stores in Canada.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
good riddance to sony. Overpriced crap the company is desperatly trying to sell. Only thing making them money is the Playstation division anyway.

As for target, that stinks man. I think that they're honestly in trouble if they don't lower their damn prices to at least compete with whitetrash world. I Dig target, personally.. all of them are nearly ghost towns here because prices are higher than walmart's by a dollar or more on most things. Their clothing quality is much better and is worth paying more, but seriously.. money.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
In the future, all restaurants are Taco Bell.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Too few maple flavored hockey player sponsored products.

When will these retailers learn?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Even in the USA this is happening, essentially wal mart got the super wal marts in strategically rendering regular targets obsolete.
Small mom n pops were crushed under stores like target as well, now it's time for them to take their lumps.
Honestly the model for these stores is/was crazy, they expanded too fast with almost reckless forethought and they just can't do the business to justify having the stores open. The other tragedy here is the blight of empty storefront that no one will ever buy, and it will sit there like a giant fucking eyesore for 25 years.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The other tragedy here is the blight of empty storefront that no one will ever buy, and it will sit there like a giant fucking eyesore for 25 years.

When Zellers went out of business, Target took over many of their storefronts. I got a feeling Walmart may do the same to Target. :oh_no:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would be pissed if I had to do my general shopping at Walmart over Target.
I occasionally stop at a Walmart, in the nice neighborhood, and i can smell the diabetes in the parking lot. It has its own Diabetes aisle and speed bumps inside for fat scooters.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I like to think of these stores as a bumper car style carnival ride for 400lb people on their scooters.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
+1 for Walmart hate. Store for poor digs and fat bastards.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I live in a town of around 50,000. Not a big place at all. We have 3 Wal-Marts and 1 Target. Two of the Wal-Marts are so-called "neighborhood" stores, but still. Fucking 3??!

I just can't shop at Wal-Mart. And not because of all of the shady shit they do to suppliers and employees because I have a hard time believing that Target is much better, but just because of the clientele. I always feel like I need to not touch anything while I'm in there, and then need to shower as soon as I get home.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I went to one of those neighborhood market mini walmarts (in Vallejo) over the holidays.

Meh. I would be willing to bet it was nicer than Beefy Hits parents's dollar store.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I pretty much refuse to shop at WalMart due to their business practices alone. Figure in the people who shop there being in your personal space... fuck that.

I've said it before, but when I lived on the richer end of town, the walmart was a ghetto/redneck oasis in the middle of an otherwise upscale neighborhood. I don't even know where those people came from to shop there.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Wal-Mart isn't worth the savings when you have to deal with the clientele and staff.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Someone please save the world from Wal-Mart! When I have to hit up a mass retailer, I willingly pay more at Target, just to avoid Wal-Mart.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
When Zellers went out of business, Target took over many of their storefronts. I got a feeling Walmart may do the same to Target. :oh_no:

Nah homie, Target Bought out Zellers and brought there stores to where the Zellers used to be.

Target was stupid though, they under stocked their inventories and the shelvings where always empty. The website was useless and we couldn't even shop online.

It's like they went to all this trouble to shut down Zellers take their spots and do half ass job and dip out.

It's sad that lots of people loosing their jobs though.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
There's 3 Walmarts' within a 10 mile radius of my home:buttrock:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I don't really see the savings that people talk about in the same breath as Walmart, especially on food where the prices always seem to be higher than at pretty much any grocery store. I hate Walmart.
That said, Target here has been shit. Azra has it right: the website is absolutely useless (doesn't even have a search function), they don't advertise, the shelves are half empty, and the clientele is the same as what Zellers had by way of the elderly on rascals.
The locations are in really shit places, in parts of town that are no longer relevent since the lots are so old. The only smart move Target made was buying the properties themselves, because they got them for a song.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
The locations are in really shit places, in parts of town that are no longer relevent since the lots are so old. The only smart move Target made was buying the properties themselves, because they got them for a song.

Ironically, Target didn't bother opening up at one of the old Zellers location in Montreal. The Plaza Cote des Neiges is a grimey shopping mall, but Walmart took the spot and is making a killing out of the location. :lol:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I've never really liked Target.
My parents used to love it in the 80's.

I boycotted it forever. It the late 90's me and my girlfriend were shopping there and they had a kiosk at the front trying to get people to apply for credit cards. They said if you apply we'll give you a 15% off coupon. I applied and didn't get the card and they gave me the coupon.

I picked out several hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and took it to the cashier. She said since I didn't get the card my coupon isn't valid. I threw a fit and she called over a manger who said the same thing. Not wanting to seem cheap in front of my girlfriend I bought it anyways and said I wouldn't shop there again. I didn't for 15 years.

Target is unoriginal, copying the Super K-mart then Walmart Mega Center format but last in line. I don't like the layout of the stores or the displays, pricing isn't usually competitive and worst of all there is almost nothing I want in the entire store. Thier home and kitchen line is overpriced trash as well.

Don't get me started on the webpage. Over the summer my wife wanted a Ninja and the page said they had a cool package at a decent price but at a store across town. So I get there and I didn't see it anywhere, takes forever to find an employee who I tell what I'm looking for. "Well if the webpage says we have it then it must be here." We walked up and down the aisles several times, he gets another employee and leaves. I have to start all over again. This goes on about three times. I have to scream, argue, make small talk and tell jokes. Finally they pop out from the back with what I'm looking for. Then some old krusty Hagitha behind me in line gives me the stink-eye and asks how much is that? 45 minutes to get a freaking blender, + I dunno another 40 minutes driving.

The webpage always says it has this diaper package I'm looking for, I dunno 125 luv's for $25. It's almost never there. If they have it I'll get it and do some other shopping if not I'm out.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Walmart and Target are pretty much the same here. Target is a little more expensive and Walmart is a little more crowded, but most times I go to either store I just get what I want and leave without having to talk to any employees or customers. The Target doesn't have a self check out though, so you do at least have to talk to a cashier. I usually go to Walmart just because it's like half a mile closer, and a little cheaper.