The all new 'What's it worth' thread

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Ok, I'm sure you know the purpose of this thread, but here goes.
If you really don't know the value of something you want to sell, why not ask here?
It saves you pissing folk off with 'Offers', give it a bash :cool:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Why not update the price guides?

A thread like this will just end in a lot of bitching.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I just posted a sale thread for some extra MVS stuff. The only item I don't know the value of is a complete English Fight Fever art set. I posted it at $50 OBO for now but will update when/if I figure out a reasonable price for it. Any ideas what it's worth?

By the way, I love the idea for this thread - it's especially great for calculating the value of artwork, which doesn't have its own price guide. Although, I agree the price guide should be updated at least somewhat regularly.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Why not update the price guides?

A thread like this will just end in a lot of bitching.

I just don't think that's gonna happen though buddy (price guide update), I hope it doesn't end up in bitching too :-(

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I just don't think that's gonna happen though buddy (price guide update), I hope it doesn't end up in bitching too :-(

I hate to say it, but you are probably right.

If you check out the price guide page it is "Maintained by: FTL & Shawn"; what a joke. I never see them on the forum; both rarely post. I'm not trying to hate on these guys, but they are just never around. Maybe it is time to pass the torch to a more active member(s) that will update the guides one a month or once a quater. I know this has come up before in discussions.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember Tonk was supposed to take over the price guide, lol, when him and FTL kept getting into it with eachother. Basically everyone should use the JNX guide for a better idea of what to ask but a thread like this will hopefully work out. SRK has one similar and it seems to do alright but with all the new members that don't fully get the rules or any idea of prices outside eBay this might help.

I hate to say it, but you are probably right.

If you check out the price guide page it is "Maintained by: FTL & Shawn"; what a joke. I never see them on the forum; both rarely post. I'm not trying to hate on these guys, but they are just never around. Maybe it is time to pass the torch to a more active member(s) that will update the guides one a month or once a quater. I know this has come up before in discussions.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
You realise lads...

That unless someone stickies this... then this thread will go down faster than a thai hooker in need of funds... the traffic through this section will ensure it does...

I applaud your commitment tho...

xROTx

PS. I just gave up smoking... i do feel... like shit...

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
You realise lads...

That unless someone stickies this... then this thread will go down faster than a thai hooker in need of funds... the traffic through this section will ensure it does...

I applaud your commitment tho...

xROTx

Good luck with the no smoking mate :-)

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Isnt there someone else that can get the price guides back up (to date)? I believe NG.com should have the definitive guide. Not diverting to other sites like neogeokult.com for reference... This is the place to be right?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
it's not though

I promise you that if someone put up an $80 Magician Lord MVS cart right now, it would sell almost immediately. I was literally mobbed with PMs minutes after posting two at $60. Magician Lord's value is definitely higher than most people here realize :)

As for the price guide, I say take it down. It's nonsense. Seller knows what he wants for a cart, buyers here know what they want to pay. This idea of pricing to a norm is bullshit. Go around the web and look at different seller's websites. Their prices are all over the map because they're buying these from different operators who put different values on this shit. The price guides are completely worthless. Pay what you're comfortable paying... Without some real nonsense like grading and some sort of third-party bullshit none of us want, a real price guide will never exist in this hobby.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I think this thread is a good idea. I see it on other forums to. Will give a buyer or seller an idea of the current value of an item.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
xROTx

Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times before...yuc, yuc...

Seriously good luck and don't bother with nicotine replacement, it's bullshit that will sabotage you. Cold turkey works best!!! Good luck, but remember just one will never hurt..

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I feel the prices are always going to go up regardless, so why moderate a market guide.
People are almost always going to want to at least break even if not turn a small profit, unless they in dire need or good samaritans.
So it's really shipping fees that compounding onto the cart.
In the end it's really how much you are wiling to pay for it.

xROTx

More power to you, it's all mind over matter !
but yo, when I did it I gained 10 lbs and my face got chubby after a month. lol

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
what is needed is an aggregator of sold ebay listings (similar to rarityguide.com) and an api for this forum that adds to the aggregated ebay sold listings to provide a small level of checks and balances with those sold listings from ebay. on the forum end, transactions (sell price) will be documented by seller and confirmed by the buyer (as a sort of crappy verification [that could easily be juked] but obviously more parties [such as mods] could verify the transaction in some way-- eg. seeing paypal transactions). but the aggregation of ebay alone would provide an idea of what games are selling for at the moment.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Rating - 100%
309   0   0
The problem with ebay is that you're not taking into account all of the fees that are associated with the sale. Or the crazy bid wars that happen from time to time. Case in point, a Magician Lord Neo CD copy went for 50+ a couple of weeks ago, yet 2 mins after the sale I bought one for 30 bucks that had been up for 6 days already.

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The problem with ebay is that you're not taking into account all of the fees that are associated with the sale. Or the crazy bid wars that happen from time to time. Case in point, a Magician Lord Neo CD copy went for 50+ a couple of weeks ago, yet 2 mins after the sale I bought one for 30 bucks that had been up for 6 days already.

i agree, but we know what those fees are and could easily come up with something like "take the ebay sell price and subtract x%" and aggregated over time (building a larger sample) we can determine the mean, among other statistics to build a more accurate representation of the "true" price per game. your $30 purchase and the $50+ purchase would all contribute to a mean. further we could come up with a threshold to exclude outliers and prevent skewing (uncommon bid wars). the point being, the larger the sample the more accurate price we would arrive at. it works-- and that's pretty much how all values for things are arrived at.

master_d

n00b
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
what is needed is an aggregator of sold ebay listings (similar to rarityguide.com) and an api for this forum that adds to the aggregated ebay sold listings to provide a small level of checks and balances with those sold listings from ebay. on the forum end, transactions (sell price) will be documented by seller and confirmed by the buyer (as a sort of crappy verification [that could easily be juked] but obviously more parties [such as mods] could verify the transaction in some way-- eg. seeing paypal transactions). but the aggregation of ebay alone would provide an idea of what games are selling for at the moment.

I made a simple php web app that uses the ebay api to do exactly that. I'll see if I can get it hosted again if anyone is interested. The box it was running on died about a month ago.

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
But ebay is way overpriced for everything.

that's why you *could* figure out how much on average ebay is "overpriced" and you reduce it by that much. honestly though i don't see how ebay is overpriced for a buyer in an auction (not speaking of BIN), since it is truly what the buyer is willing to spend (and buyer has also considered additional fees, which is only disclosed shipping and applicable sales tax)-- it's not the buyer who is zapped by fees. as a seller it is overpriced because it cuts into a non-existent profit margin they're already operating on and so buyers who plan to make money list for a ridiculous BIN price, but remind you it's still the buyer who is willing to pay (if they're willing to pay).

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I made a simple php web app that uses the ebay api to do exactly that. I'll see if I can get it hosted again if anyone is interested. The box it was running on died about a month ago.

nice, i would like to see it and could probably build on it if you're interested. because besides talking about it (and people not really liking the idea) i was just going to write an app to do it since i've done plenty of work like this before.