The Comic Book Thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So all you Barry Allen-hating heathens might be interested to hear that Wally West is being reintroduced into the DC Universe in Flash Annual #3, to be released in April.

There's no word on exactly what his role will be though. Hopefully they find a way to make Barry and Wally both exist. Kill off Bart Allen if need be and make Wally Kid Flash again would be my preference.

They probably won't kill Barry though, considering he's going to star in his own Flash TV series and is rumored to be in the new Bats/Superman crossover (along with Wonder Woman and possibly Nightwing).

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I heard that news and I'm not expecting anything good given DC's track record

I'm not buying any DC comics and Wonder Woman is the only one I regret dropping since it ignores everything outside of itself

famicommander

15 Year Member
Manapul's New 52 Flash run is one of my favorite comic runs of all time.

And New 52 Aquaman is all sorts of awesome.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Manapul's New 52 Flash run is one of my favorite comic runs of all time.

And New 52 Aquaman is all sorts of awesome.

I love how they said they were going to make Aquaman a bad ass and then in the animated version of the JLA arc he's in he's replaced by a character who hadn't even debuted yet

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I love how they said they were going to make Aquaman a bad ass and then in the animated version of the JLA arc he's in he's replaced by a character who hadn't even debuted yet

It's weird on its own, but they clearly want to make the Throne of Atlantis movie be the character's debut into the new animated continuity. It kind of makes sense from that standpoint.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
There was a small fire at my parents house and I had a bunch of comics stored there. I was pleased to find out that almost everything survived, including my beloved Alias Omnibus.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Brought to you by Boom, John Carpenter, Eric Powell and Brian Churilla

big-trouble-in-little-china1-e1393426489558.jpg

famicommander

15 Year Member
Here's a promo shot of Grant Gustin as Barry Allen's Flash for the new TV series this fall:
FLASH+head.jpg

And here's John Wesley Shipp in his costume from the early 1990s:
john-wesley-shipp-flash.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'll give it a chance. I still haven't watched the Arrow episodes that introduce the character.

The old series has aged horribly, by the way.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Does Arrow get any better last the first couple episodes? I tried to get into it but it wasn't clicking with me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Does Arrow get any better last the first couple episodes?
Kind of the opposite, actually. I thought the first episode was the most interesting. Although the way they flesh out the island story in flashback is consistently interesting throughout the first season.

Sweet baby jeebus you aren't lying

I still give it to Mark Hamill as he gave it his all
John Wesley Ship's method of acting seems to be yelling everything, even at his friends. But I still kind of like the episode where he went to the future and everything was all fucked up but he got to kiss Amanda Pays. She was the best part of the show.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
ever since Raimi's Spider-Man, a lot of super-hero costumes have these weird textures all over everything. Flash should be as streamlined as possible. What is the purpose of having his costume be all bumpy and weird?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That is far and away the ugliest goddamned superhero costume ever.

maybe a little hyperbole from me, ok

but still

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Not really.

They weren't going to have it look like any of the previous ones, especially the old tv show version

At least it's not armor

Or he isn't rocking guyliner like Green Arrow did for the promo images of Arrow

famicommander

15 Year Member
Make the boots and belt yellow, make the red part of the logo white, make the red a little less muted.

Still, it could have been a lot worse.

For those asking about Arrow, it's a pretty weak show. Bad acting, bad action sequences, annoying/superfluous characters. And in season one they were really trying to be "grounded" like Nolan's shitty pretentious Batmovies. They toned down costumes, avoided referencing most comic characters by name, made Ollie use stupid eyeblack instead of a mask, etc. Season two is a lot better, but it's still not a great show. Better than I expected for a CW super hero show, and certainly better than Agents of SHIELD or Smallville.

And I actually like the 90s Flash. It wasn't very comicy and the red velvet costume was awful but it wasn't a bad show. The Trickster episodes, the pilot, the one where he goes to the future, and the Nightshade episodes were my favorites.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'm in the midst of reading the first 19 issues of Fraction's Invincible Iron Man.

Late to the party, I know-but man, I'm enjoying this!

I haven't bought a new Iron Man on the newsstand, since Armor Wars. Why is Thor being a dick?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Two -- two -- TWO shitty opinions rolled into one.

Pfft. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. The Dark Knight Trilogy is a bunch of terrible shaky cam action sequences, terrible-detective Batman with a cookie monter voice, hamfisted social commentary, and characters announcing their narrative purposes directly to the audience (hurr durr I IS CHAOS, HURR DURR HE WHITE KNIGHT, DERP DE DERPY HE IS DARK KNIGHT). The only people who like those movies are people who don't understand symbolism in film unless bludgeoned on the head with it, repeatedly, for like three hours.

There are only two good live action Batman movies: Burton's first and Adam West Batman. Returns, Forever, & Robin, Begins, TDK, and TDKR are trash.

And the best Bat-film period is Mask of the Phantasm, followed by Under the Red Hood and the Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition. In that order.

DC live action movies in general are shit. The first Superman was good, Wes Craven's Swamp Thing was decent, the two aforementioned Batman movies were good. That's about it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm in the midst of reading the first 19 issues of Fraction's Invincible Iron Man.

Late to the party, I know-but man, I'm enjoying this!

I haven't bought a new Iron Man on the newsstand, since Armor Wars. Why is Thor being a dick?

I thought Fraction's early Iron Man run was great. I really enjoyed it quite a bit. He really found a voice for that comic. I don't think he's been anywhere near as good since then, though.

Thor is being a dick because of Civil War, if I recall correctly. Tony sided against Cap, who Thor considers like a battle brother and beyond reproach. Also, Reed Richards, who was also on Tony's side during Civil War (a character direction I absolutely do not agree with, never have and never will), was instrumental in the creation of the Thor clone that ended up killing Giant Man.

And I love their confrontations, especially in JMS' Thor, which is still my favorite run for that character ever (although Simonson's run is a close second for me).

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I thought Fraction's early Iron Man run was great. I really enjoyed it quite a bit. He really found a voice for that comic. I don't think he's been anywhere near as good since then, though.

Thor is being a dick because of Civil War, if I recall correctly. Tony sided against Cap, who Thor considers like a battle brother and beyond reproach. Also, Reed Richards, who was also on Tony's side during Civil War (a character direction I absolutely do not agree with, never have and never will), was instrumental in the creation of the Thor clone that ended up killing Giant Man.

And I love their confrontations, especially in JMS' Thor, which is still my favorite run for that character ever (although Simonson's run is a close second for me).

Ah, thanks for the backstory.

uryhu5u6.jpg

*love* this page.

So, I've just finished up The Invincible Iron Man Vol 1...and what a ride.

I haven't read a trade in a day, since High School.

Sure, it's kinda Chuck meets Flowers for Algernon...but hella fun for a lapsed fan like me. Larroca's art seems made for baxter paper.

Can't wait for my Library to pull Vol. 2 for me!

Last edited: