The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Kids are getting wrekt by delta. Children’s Hospital had zero cases last week.

this week, every covid bed is full.

no article to site; just heard it on 1060 KYW News Radio in Philly.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Because vaccines are available and work.

Because kids aren't at risk despite not being eligible for a vaccine. Plus they can't wear a mask properly anyway.

Because even those infected with breakthrough infections are not getting seriously sick or dying.

Because even though cases are rising again, deaths are not rising at the same rate.

Because evidence from the UK and elsewhere suggests this variant surge will be short lived.

Because your betters don't even follow the very rules they suggest for you.

Because zero covid is not a realistic goal, if it ever was to begin with.

But mostly because vaccines are available and work. At this point if you are unvaccinated it's on you.

The problem is that we still have many non-vaccinated people, that vaccinations seem to occur more based on regions, and that some regions, such as Florida and around the Mississippi, are woefully unprotected.

Another issue is that antibodies don’t last forever. The octogenarian who got a vaccine in February or March is about ready for a booster, which will be trickier than people think (because they’re not thinking about it).

Interstate travel is a vector for the virus to reach beyond the low vaccination states, and force us into a continuous loop of needing to vaccinate over and over.

So what are the solutions to these issues that you see?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Kids are getting wrekt by delta. Children’s Hospital had zero cases last week.

this week, every covid bed is full.

no article to site; just heard it on 1060 KYW News Radio in Philly.

I'm not going to be too antagonistic since I know where you stand, so if you don't want to engage fine, but forgive me if I'm skeptical without any sourcing that kids are getting 'wrekt'. There have been fewer than 400 deaths of children under 18 from covid to date. I can't easily find breakdowns below that age, but I imagine those skew significantly more toward the age of 18 than the age of 8.

Which is part of the problem with a 'children's hospital'. If many of the patients are 12-18, well they're eligible for the vaccine. So how many under 12 year olds do we have getting seriously ill and how many millions of people will we ask (tell?) to wear masks in order to prevent that. Millions of children get the common cold every year, but if they aren't getting seriously sick or dying, no one cares.

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
The problem is that we still have many non-vaccinated people, that vaccinations seem to occur more based on regions, and that some regions, such as Florida and around the Mississippi, are woefully unprotected.

I only see that as a problem for them, not for me. They're welcome to get the vaccine.

Another issue is that antibodies don’t last forever. The octogenarian who got a vaccine in February or March is about ready for a booster, which will be trickier than people think (because they’re not thinking about it).

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on this, my wife got her two doses in December 2020. I keep telling her that's she is probably due again, but other than some recent news suggesting boosters may become necessary, I haven't seen any good guidance on when or if that will start being offered.

Interstate travel is a vector for the virus to reach beyond the low vaccination states, and force us into a continuous loop of needing to vaccinate over and over.

This is back to the same 'quaratine the healthy' strategy that we went with in March of last year. I just disagree with it on a fundamental level. I think it is antithetical to American values.

So what are the solutions to these issues that you see?

Promote the vaccine, let people make their own choices.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
On issues of commerce, I would agree to let people make their own choices.

On issues of public welfare, the populace should not be in charge. This is assuming a benevolent government, of course.

I hate wearing a mask. I am vaccinated. I still wear a mask because I have a 4% chance of contracting the virus and apparently that risk is pronounced with the new variants. I have won games with lower statistical odds. I don't want to risk my awesome luck.

If we hit 90% vaccinations, the virus will probably suffocate. I'm not sure we will.

My mother in law came to visit for the month, from Russia. I believe their current vaccination rate is 16%. Something under 20%. The government sent out a notice that everyone who works for the government has to get vaccinated (with Sputnik V combined with AZ) and people are instead getting fake proof of vaccination, or even going as far as using prosthetics on their shoulders to get the shot, and not be vaccinated. They (the antivaxxers in Russia) think the virus is a hoax and the vaccines are dangerous. And I mention this because they're still able to fly into the US and commingle with us. You might not even know when they're around you.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
American values.
bigfoot.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I could probably same the same about...

No?

Sure, but you would need to back up the claim. A malevolent government wouldn’t care to vaccinate the people; an incompetent government would ignore their duty to vaccinate and protect the people.

But telling people to wear a mask seems neither the act of a malevolent or incompetent.

lithy

20 Year Member
Don't make me resurrect the lounge.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
News Media and assorted talking heads claim violent crime is up significantly. Anyone know if true?

lithy

20 Year Member
To be fair, it was Biden's own goal to get to 70% by July 4th. He set the goal. You can't suddenly blame the people now that didn't want to get a vaccine, that should have been accounted for when making your goal and setting the timetable.

Jeanine Pirro is insufferable.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
all the covid vaccine stocks goes way uuuuup. In canada only the unvaccinated are dying, that what they been saying in the media. canada is probably up there on population vaccinated. most people i know have had 2 dose of pfizer , pretty much right now choice are either pfizer or moderna .

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Because vaccines are available and work.

Because kids aren't at risk despite not being eligible for a vaccine. Plus they can't wear a mask properly anyway.

Because even those infected with breakthrough infections are not getting seriously sick or dying.

Because even though cases are rising again, deaths are not rising at the same rate.

Because evidence from the UK and elsewhere suggests this variant surge will be short lived.

Because your betters don't even follow the very rules they suggest for you.

Because zero covid is not a realistic goal, if it ever was to begin with.

But mostly because vaccines are available and work. At this point if you are unvaccinated it's on you.

Kids (at least mine) can't get vaccinated. I do not want them to get COVID. There is too many cases of kids (including asymptomatic ones) that show respiratory, nervous system and cardio system damage.