The real SFV thread -- No posers allowed

Qcf+lp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The problem I see is there is a shit ton to learn, and that is highly unusual for a Street Fighter game. It almost feels Virtua Fighter-esque in just when you think you have a grasp on it, you realize there is a lot more to learn. I've been on Ryu since the beta testing and still haven't felt comfortable enough to start learning someone else. That is crazy for boring Ryu. It's also why people will drop this. I don't think a lot of SF fans want to dive into this deep rabbit hole.
You think there's a lot to learn with this game? My problem is how simple it is, combos are way to easy to do and they keep removing option selects, this game is way to dumbed down from previous games, which is why it's selling badly.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
You think there's a lot to learn with this game? My problem is how simple it is, combos are way to easy to do and they keep removing option selects, this game is way to dumbed down from previous games, which is why it's selling badly.

Then you're not understanding the game. Old SF you can get away with universal tech. For example Ryu fireball bait to DP. This game took it all away. So for every matchup you need to know how everything works. For example for Laura Matsuda you use the fireball game, but do that to Birdie and you get killed. Try to play the wait DP game with Karin and more times then not you'll never have enough time to DP. For every character you have to have a different strategy. A different way to approach each character. That's the rabbit hole.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Then you're not understanding the game. Old SF you can get away with universal tech. For example Ryu fireball bait to DP. This game took it all away. So for every matchup you need to know how everything works. For example for Laura Matsuda you use the fireball game, but do that to Birdie and you get killed. Try to play the wait DP game with Karin and more times then not you'll never have enough time to DP. For every character you have to have a different strategy. A different way to approach each character. That's the rabbit hole.

How is any of this new?

I will agree that everyone seems to have a way around fireballs, but it's been that way in past games too.

I disagree that the game has been dumbed down. Instead, I think it expects you to play more intelligently. You can't just fadc or option select to be safe. You have to commit to your choices and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences.

Last edited:

Qcf+lp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I see, that isn't really to different from previous SF games, it's just more pronounced because there isn't any option selects.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Had a great session. I'm getting more control over this game with each session. Guys, practice your jabs as anti air reversals. Karin is still amazing. I love this bitch,

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Well first off there are option selects in SFV

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/11/street-fighter-v-has-auto-confirm-option-selects/

Just not as much as you want. Compared to previous the movement of strategy from one character to another is not as steep as this game. The knowledge you need to know in this game compared to others is night and day. In the previous games you more work on your tech. How you come up with strategies for distance, or grapplers. However in this game each strategy has to be different for each character. Sometimes for each move that's preferred. Chun Li and Karin are similar in good pokes and ridiculous combos, but Chun's anti air is much better then Karin. Karin's fireball counters are more dangerous then Chun. Meaning use the same strategy and it will bite you in the butt.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
How is any of this new?

I will agree that everyone seems to have a way around fireballs, but it's been that way in past games too.

I disagree that the game has been dumbed down. Instead, I think it expects you to play more intelligently. You can't just fadc or option select to be safe. You have to commit to your choices and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences.

Not just fireballs. Dp's have more startup frames. Tatsus are harder to work with because of longer start ups. Everything is made as you said to make you live and die by your actions. In doing so you need to be much more educated in your actions as well as knowing how to punish when since the frames to punish are significantly less.

It made itself a much more mental game by giving less safety.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...and would you consider that to be a bad thing?...and if so, why?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
It's not purely mental. I'm able to react to some shit on sight. IE; ex with Karin on jumpers. sFP is good. You can react, it's just way less safe then you'd typically expect. You have to learn to know when a opponent gets in a predictable way with jumps. This can end lives fast. I shared this sentiment earlier in, but as I've grown with it, I don't feel that way. Crush counters are great. Karin's cFP crush counter is so fucking good, it's like a free super if you have it, as they go air borne for some time. It's a great punish. You can probably pop for just frame tenko > lk mujin before super if you set it up right.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
...and would you consider that to be a bad thing?...and if so, why?

Just the opposite. It's a breath of fresh air. If anything is bad per say all the non commital SF players are going to quit because it's not easy. Personally fuck em.

LWK the level of difficulty still depends on the opponent. If they are going to be stupid then it gets easier. However the high level you go less people act stupid.

Qcf+lp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So there are option selects, I should've figured they would exist, I only played the game for about a week before I was done with it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Input drop sucks. I'm using legacy crap to currently.. I thought I was fucking up. Maybe in some instances I wasn't. The fact Ken can dash in, jab, and pre buffer a tatsu, where it will *only* come out after it actually hits is really nasty. For a option select, it's a huge issue. I like option selects like the ones I use in 3rd strike. IE; if I am fighting Hugo with Ken, I can do cFP over and over at mid to slightly farther distance. If I have a super, I am always doing the super behind my cFP. Super will never show or come out unless it connects to something. The thing is, if he does a sMP of cMK, I will tag it without trade right into super risking nothing other then the fact hugo may dash in grab you. This is a perfect example of a good option select. Compounded by the fact you EARN meter by whiffing normals. Ken in V though? All he has to do is connect a jab?Why does he deserve such a huge benefit? Especially since lk tatsu is really damn good in V? I need to test some stuff with Karin now.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I was just finishing a match of 3 but I'm heading your way

Edit: Send me another inv please.

Edit2: Was that the last game? If so, good games, damn man, you never dull.

Last edited: