Top 5 horror films of the past 10 years.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hereditary
Split
Get Out
Dr Sleep
It Follows

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
It Follows
The Cabin in the Woods
Ready or Not
Upgrade (if it counts as horror)

So many good horror flicks have come out in the last 10 years, I've got quite a few honorable mentions:

What We Do in the Shadows, The Conjuring, Hereditary, Get Out, A Quiet Place, You're Next, Happy Death Day, Don't Breathe, The Lighthouse, Crawl, The Babysitter, Halloween (2018), The Guest, The Witch, Overlord, Malignant, The Babadook, Krampus

Looks like I could have done a top 25 fairly easily.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I thought willy's wonderland and freaky were funny.... Some of the rob zombie movies were alright. Havnt truly loved a horror movie since the mid 90s otherwise really. Seen plentyyyy of them through dating girls who's only interests were watching new horror films.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Babadook was a pos, worst child acting in ages, especially the tantrum in the car. The only good thing about the film was the ending where they decide to cohabit with the thing.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's not been a great decade for horror for me. After years of enjoying horrors together my missus dropped the bombshell on me that she doesn't particularly like horror films and was only watching them to please me. All I could think of was all of the other things I'd rather she'd done for me but doesn't particularly like doing but that's another discussion.

It Follows - probably my favourite
The Babadook - it was after this one she hit me with the news, a real life horror situation
Get Out
IT - as a whole the film wasn't great but the storm drain scene really stuck with me
I want to say 30 Days of Night, it's just outside the 10 years but fuck it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^The 30 days of night comic is excellent.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Wait a minute. Are we doing 5 best or 5 worst?
Wow seriously? It's a bumbling mess but I thought it was great fun, very french.

Edit I'm talking about Incident in a Ghostland, film that came out a few years ago, not the nondescript Nicolas Cage film that was released this year.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Raw was fantastic, but it's starting to feel like New French Extremity is its own genre.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Raw was fantastic, but it's starting to feel like New French Extremity is its own genre.
Yes I would say so. A trend ushered in by Haute Tension I'd say.. Raw is good indeed. Actually in my top five I'll remove Creep (which is somewhat of a placeholder) and add Gaspar Noe's Climax. Loved it, so fucked up.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Wait a minute. Are we doing 5 best or 5 worst?
Are we talking about Incident in a Ghostland or Prisoners of the Ghostland? The former is pretty good, though not on the same level as Martyrs.

Hereditary is far and away the best horror movie of the past 10 years, IMO, with It Follows being a distant second.

The Wailing, Southbound and Kill List would round out my list.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah I clarified that I ment the french canadian film and not the recent one which I suspect is what Kid was reffering too (my mistake for shorthanding).
Martyrs is very powerful, but quite different from Incident in a Ghostland

Reactions: jro

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Can't really think of any that impressed me, accept these two:

The Void
Mandy

Hereditary was ok, but I would never re-watch it.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The only one that qualifies for me is Alexandre Aja's Maniac (2012). Normally I don't prefer the remake over the original but this one is special. First person perspective, The Silence of the Lambs reference and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari appreciation. Original was already great but the remake is even better.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Sinister
Hereditary
Train to Busan
Baskin (Turkish horror film, pretty fucked up)

Not sure if this counts as a horror film, but segments of V/H/S 1 and 2 were pretty great:

VHS 1
“Amateur Night”
“10/31/98”

VHS 2
“A ride in the park”
“Safe Haven”

The 2010’s were pretty good for horror

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
They where pretty good after a slump the decade before which paradoxically was a decade in which horror came back to the fore, and there are great horror films during those years nontheless.
A24 has a lot to do with a resurgance in the genre, it is also the genre where most experimentation has taken place, where new young talent has brought their own visions to the screen. Mainstream cinema has over the past few years been more accepting of non typical projects such as those that are realised time and again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The only one that qualifies for me is Alexandre Aja's Maniac (2012). Normally I don't prefer the remake over the original but this one is special. First person perspective, The Silence of the Lambs reference and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari appreciation. Original was already great but the remake is even better.
Yeah the Maniac remake was really enjoyable and different enough from the original to stand on it's own. Elijah Wood apparently has a horror centric production company that has put out some interesting stuff.

The Void has some really cool stuff in it but it's kind of overly ambitious and is obviously beyond the skill level of the people who made it for them to really have done it justice.

I see Mandy being being mentioned but to me that's a psychological/revenge thriller. I'd put stuff like Kill List, Come to Daddy, Split and Green Room more in that category as well.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Currently watching The Woman

Super strange, been a while since I wached something this nasty but with merit. Hostel on bath salts.
Check it out