Under Defeat for Dreamcast

Kiken

Camel Slug
roker said:
sorry chachi

Under Defeat has been announced as THE last game

I guess it even says so on the back of the cover

moderate scores and shmups go together when Famitsu is concerned

Border Down was rated low as well (and on a side note, Ibara was as well)

Well, the message translates to:

"This game decorates the end of Dreamcast."

Now, that's actually pretty cryptic. Granted, it very well could be the final DC port and MileStone (makers of Chaos Field and Rajirugi) are just pushing for Sega to ultimately continue NAOMI GD-ROM production (not a bad idea, considering that NAOMI is still a viable arcade platform). However, the "end of DC" could pertain to the fact that due to the Denan Law going into effect on April 1st, Sega will no longer be able to sell DC units (refurbished or otherwise).

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
djdelly said:
That must be why I bought the LE of Rajirugi.:D

dj

Possibly...?

Kiel

20 Year Member
AppleiDog said:
Famitsu is a overrated piece of p
poo

Someone put it best when they said Famitsu was the EGM of Japan.

Ramus

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I pre-ordered it. I'm afraid that the game will suck after hearing SO much hype about it. Guess I'll find out next week, eh?

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
The game wont sux, it is an amazing game.:chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp:

Ramus

Tarma's Gun Polisher
AppleiDog said:
That's what I'm saying. You and other people are saying it's great. So I'll play the game with this preconceived notion that the game is great, then if it's not as great as everyone says... ah never mind. I'll just wait and see and try to avoid any Under Defeat threads that I come across.

I hope it's as great as everyone says. :spock:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
this is going to be the first limited edition game I've ever bought

I just hope its so good that the thought of selling it won't even cross my mind

it took a while to get into Border Down, so I'm going to stick to playing it for a few weeks before I call it a bust

Kiel

20 Year Member
AppleiDog said:

So you've played it?

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
According to Play Asia it is a DVD size case.......not like that will affect gameplay or anything. :emb:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Metal Fatigue said:
According to Play Asia it is a DVD size case.......not like that will affect gameplay or anything. :emb:

Although, it will apparently affect the uniformity of Dreamcast shelves everywhere. Gasp.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
subcons said:
Although, it will apparently affect the uniformity of Dreamcast shelves everywhere. Gasp.

Wasn't Cosmic Smash also in a DVD case though?

Ramus

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Got my copy today. Incredible. Gameplay wise, it's one of the best, but not number one. The graphics are top notch though. I think this is the best looking shooter for DC so far, maybe ever if this is the last one. You really feel like you are in a war zone when you play this thing. Only thing that might annoy some is the pretty smoke. Amazing effect, but it sometimes covers up things. Things get really hard after about stage 3. I'd recommend this over Radilgy if you are looking to get one of the two.

Gonna go play some more.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Ramus said:
Got my copy today. Incredible. Gameplay wise, it's one of the best, but not number one. The graphics are top notch though. I think this is the best looking shooter for DC so far, maybe ever if this is the last one. You really feel like you are in a war zone when you play this thing. Only thing that might annoy some is the pretty smoke. Amazing effect, but it sometimes covers up things. Things get really hard after about stage 3. I'd recommend this over Radilgy if you are looking to get one of the two.

Gonna go play some more.

Thanks for the infor. Can't wait to get my copy!

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
jpj said:
it'll be like border down:

good. not great.

7/10.

(close thread)

Tons of people will argue with you on that one. I won't, but I can see where people that would are coming from. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of BD, which is a major issue for me. I'm vain, what can I say? But the gameplay is rock solid. Scoring system is deep and extremely challenging. But that is my other major gripe with it: it's too damned hard.

I keep it hoping I'll pop it in one day and like it more. Who knows?

As for the case, I've got no problem with the DVD case. Who the hell doesn't have a shelf that holds DVD cases? And if you don't own Cosmic Smash, you owe it to yourself to pick it up. I'll pass on the dating games...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
jpj said:
it'll be like border down:

good. not great.

7/10.

(close thread)

looks better than BD

at least the explosions look bootylicious (as does the snow effects)

I'd give BD a solid 8/10

there really hasn't been a NEW (i.e. not a sequel) side scrolling shmup in a looong time

My biggest complaint regarding BD was how light and floaty the regular weapon looks and how unsatisfying it is to blow shit up

Kiel

20 Year Member
Ramus said:

Gonna go play some more.

Which version did you get? If yougot the LE could you throw up a pic?