Under Defeat for Dreamcast

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
Insane, the military theme in this is done extremely well. Can't think of a whole lot to say, its just an incredibly well made game so far. I love the option for Normal or Reverse, can't decide which I like better yet but it's nice to be able to switch it up, varies by stage for the most part.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I will be ordering this tonight.

I really enjoy BD and the military theme in this one looks killer.

Its 06' and I'm getting a new DC shmup, fuck yeah! Helicopters:buttrock:

William_Hung

Crazed MVS Addict
Can you pick up survivors like some of those other Helicoper shooting games or is it just strait up shooting action?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
William_Hung said:
Can you pick up survivors like some of those other Helicoper shooting games or is it just strait up shooting action?

Ha.

Mine is still on its way, but I don't recall seeing anything about rescues in the scoring mechanics.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
mine was shipped yesterday

so I'll probably have it at the end of next week (or week after)

I should've paid more for shipping :envy:

BIG

sony fanboy
Man,this game rock on so many levels.

Now,I haven't spent much time with it to figure out the scoring system or what not,but what I can tell you is the fact that I'm already hooked on the blowing shit up aspect of the game.

BTW,it's already "up" ;)

B-

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
BIG said:
Now,I haven't spent much time with it to figure out the scoring system or what not,but what I can tell you is the fact that I'm already hooked on the blowing shit up aspect of the game.

Posted by incognoscente over on the shmup boards for those that don't keep tabs:

• Enemies shot down with options are worth 2X.
  • There is no powering up, only switching shot/option types. If you pick up an icon of the same type as the weapon in use, you receive 5,000 points.
  • 6 bombs may be held at a time. Each additional bomb icon picked up will give 10,000 points.
  • End-of-stage bonus:
    • Shot down percent * [300-(player ships remaining*100) with a minimum value of 100 if there are more than 2 ships remaining] [*2 if Shot Down percent is 100]
    • boss time remaining in seconds, rounded down, * 1,000
    • bomb stock * 10,000

Playing on the last life gives a higher score, but does not necessarily keep rank low.

I think they started a thread strictly for scoring over there somewhere. Haven't bothered to look at it yet seeing as how I haven't got the game in hand yet.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Just got the game ;) very nice so far, best DC shooter of late, now to get it for Naomi.....

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
Ok the more I play the more rediculous it is. It's like literally fighting a fuckin' war, especially from 1-3 and on. And the Graveyard stage!?! intro with no sound effects and dramatic intro music.......this game is fucking E P I C.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Mine arrived on Friday, but I was out of the office, I just played it this lunchtime, its GREAT! lovely explosions and smoke everywhere, I love how the trees move when the heli is above them... Lots of cool little details.

How many levels in this?? I only got to level 3 today. Its not super hard but my DC at work has a crappy cable and its mega blurry, can't wait to get home and give it a try through VGA. :buttrock:

Kiken

Camel Slug
beh3moth said:
How many levels in this?? I only got to level 3 today. Its not super hard but my DC at work has a crappy cable and its mega blurry, can't wait to get home and give it a try through VGA. :buttrock:

Oh, it gets harder.

There are 5 stages and 2 loops, so a total of 10. The second loop features seasonal changes on all the levels as well as being mirrored left to right.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Kiken said:
Oh, it gets harder.

There are 5 stages and 2 loops, so a total of 10. The second loop features seasonal changes on all the levels as well as being mirrored left to right.

Its weird, 5 stages is the norm nowaydays it always used to be 7.... anyway if it loops and the second loop is different enough who cares?? its all good :chimp:

Ford

Crazed MVS Addict
Game fucking rocks hard..

Another great reason to have a hires monitor in a cab tated.

Wooohoooo!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
My Impressions:

*May Contain Spoilers*

The game is amazing

Presentation is top notch. From the first time I took down the 2nd stage boss, to seeing the 3rd stage boss blow up a bridge before the showdown. Also the setting is cool. You're not a lone fighter. It seems there's tanks on your side fighting for the cause as well (although they're not interactive nor do they actually help). It's just a nice touch I rarely see in other games.

controling the heli is really intuitive (I'm using reverse). It becomes second nature in no time.

the hit box takes some getting used to, as does maneuvering the heli in between bullets, but it'll come easy as time goes on (took me an hour or so)

the music is great, I switched between arranged and arcade, but I prefer arranged

graphically, I'd say the best looking 3D shmup I've ever played

it may not have the creative fantastical (I don't mean like Galuda) setting of Ikaruga, but the 3D models are plain awesome. Raiden III should have looked like this.

Attention to detail makes you wonder how much time those guys spent working on this game.

bullet patterns remind me of some psikyo games, are there former members with GRev?

now the cons:

play area is small, doesn't seem like a problem at first but there's an invisible wall blocking your heli from the left/right and top/bottom of the screen

You can't go all the way up (you actually stop quite a distance from it) and the bottom seems to stop right at the tail of the heli (the hit box is the cockpit, so you have a bit of room there)

The left and right area restrictions can be frustrating as well

you'll find yourself trying to dodge bullets but instead being stopped by the invisible wall and getting shot down

rank is a bitch, but if you've played a raizing game or two, then this shouldn't bother you much. It's just a learning process. I've noticed that using the Vulcan over the other two weapons seems to retard the rank's progression, as does using your options sparingly.

The wait-and-use options system can be unforgiving. It can get intense when you have to wait for the gauge to recharge which is done by not shooting. Sometimes I find myself dodging a bunch of bullets waiting for it to fill up, only to use a bomb to bail me out instead. BUT, when you're sucessful in unleashing an option at the most important time (esp. a rocket option) it is worth it, no doubt and extremely satisfying at that.

conclusion:

the game is badass

there isn't a such thing of a perfect game, even with the flaws, the game does so well in other areas that you're willing to adapt to get better.

it's addictive and blowing up stuff seems to be the theme covered so well in this game

doesn't hurt that this is probably the best looking DC game I've ever seen (yep, I said it)

if this is the last DC game, then it really did go out with a bang (pun intended)

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
just started playing this about an hour or so ago. It's pretty good! I was worried that the control would be shitty like Zero Wing 2, but it feels alright. Not too crazy about the fact that it obviously has rank, but meh.

and L-O-FUCKING-L at my current high score. I almost don't want to play it any more because I know it'll get beaten sooner or later :crying:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
BBH said:
just started playing this about an hour or so ago. It's pretty good! I was worried that the control would be shitty like Zero Wing 2, but it feels alright. Not too crazy about the fact that it obviously has rank, but meh.

and L-O-FUCKING-L at my current high score. I almost don't want to play it any more because I know it'll get beaten sooner or later :crying:

you made it to stage 5 with one credit in 1 hour??

you are a god among gods

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
roker said:
you made it to stage 5 with one credit in 1 hour??

you are a god among gods

well... to be honest it was probably a little over an hour, as I quit out of a few games as I was still trying to figure out the collision detection and such, and when you quit it doesn't get saved to the play time. (it's at 55 minutes right now)

it's not so much the 1-5 part I like, it's the leet score :emb:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
BBH said:
well... to be honest it was probably a little over an hour, as I quit out of a few games as I was still trying to figure out the collision detection and such, and when you quit it doesn't get saved to the play time. (it's at 55 minutes right now)

it's not so much the 1-5 part I like, it's the leet score :emb:

I broke my arm patting my self on the back for making it to the 3rd stage boss on 1 credit

seems like I need to save my bombs for that cat

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
roker said:
conclusion:

the game is badass

there isn't a such thing of a perfect game, even with the flaws, the game does so well in other areas that you're willing to adapt to get better.

it's addictive and blowing up stuff seems to be the theme covered so well in this game

doesn't hurt that this is probably the best looking DC game I've ever seen (yep, I said it)

if this is the last DC game, then it really did go out with a bang (pun intended)

Played the game for the first time last night and totally agree with you, it's nothing less than awesome.

There's is a lot of Psikyo in this game and I'm loving it... some gameplay elements remind me of Zero Gunner 2 but without the manual turning.

Visual presentation is top-notch, playfield depth is amazing, for ex. in level 2 where a few SAM tanks shot rockets at you, angle and velocity look very real, and the vapor trail is awesome, just like the other explosion and smoke effects.

I play on standard (not reverse), btw.

The option/drone system is cool as well, chosing the right one against certain bigger enemies seems to be essential (for ex. the large ship in level 2 or the level 1 boss).

The military theme is nice and is very well executed, about time they come up with a more metal-esque shmup again. Yeah, it's not as stylish as Ikaruga, but I probably wouldn't like it that much if it was... ;)

Somehow I knew G.Rev would not let me down, seems I was right.

In short, I love Under Defeat, can't wait to return to it (sitting at the office atm).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
In short, I love Under Defeat, can't wait to return to it (sitting at the office atm).

I didn't feel like tate-ing my comp monitor so I didn't play it today

instead I played some Zanac Neo

yeah, I'm lazy like that

but I'll be jammin it tomorrow for sure

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
mm, I wonder what's going through my mind sometimes. I don't like Psikyo games, don't even have a DC and I still bought the game because I find the artwork fantastic...

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
man, the suspese i killing me... I REALLY WANT THSI GAME NOW... but fucking customs here take months before they are convinced to give you your item...

anyways... i need to play this now.. in any way possible

too bad im on dial up...

How is 2player mode in this game? does it totally alter the way you play ala. Ikaruga? and does the big-ish heli's make everyhting cramped when in 2 player??

my sister saw the videos, she thought it was for 360 :P

Kiken

Camel Slug
roninbuddha said:
How is 2player mode in this game? does it totally alter the way you play ala. Ikaruga? and does the big-ish heli's make everyhting cramped when in 2 player??

Both copters can not occupy the same space, so it is like Ikaruga in that regard (you bump into each other). Plenty of team-work is required to prevent a player from getting crammed into a side of the screen. Having two different gunpod types on screen simultaneously really does help (bosses do not appear to increase in strength when in 2-player). The only real problem that my buddy and I ran into was when trying to take down the final boss (it becomes very difficult with the limited room in front of the main cannon to deposit a gunpod and actually have it hit the target).

Also, the standard game will automatically end after the first loop in 2-player mode (you would have to use the 2-1 Start option if you wished to play through loop 2 with 2 players).