Under Defeat for Dreamcast

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
BBH said:
I would like to know the high scores of you guys that are whining about the game being too easy. I mean, if the game's too easy, obviously you guys must be clearing both loops on one credit and destroying my high score and stuff. Well?

Who's whining? No whining here, just playing on fun mode.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
and yet you didn't answer my question...

how about your score starting from 2-1? I mean, the second loop must be SUPER FUN MODE and stuff.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
BBH said:
I would like to know the high scores of you guys that are whining about the game being too easy. I mean, if the game's too easy, obviously you guys must be clearing both loops on one credit and destroying my high score and stuff. Well?

Holy shit, when did anybody say anything in comparison to your score?

Calm down, your score is fine.

I haven't even broke a million on hard yet, I'm confident I could on normal though. The easier mode you play on the better your score will be.

I've also played the game less than a couple hours in my entire life.

Teriffic game, but it's boring on normal, live with it.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
BBH said:
and yet you didn't answer my question...

how about your score starting from 2-1? I mean, the second loop must be SUPER FUN MODE and stuff.

My score is less than yours because I'm not playing on baby mode. Get your panties out of a wad and relax. I choose to challenge myself with what the developers can dish out. I understand that the game becomes difficult in the later levels on normal, but I choose to play my games a different way than you. No I havn't unlocked the 2nd loop yet, I'll unlock it when I earn it like a man. Default settings are so any Japanese kid can walk into an arcade and play a game without getting annihilated. Sack up, your not paying $1 a play every time you press that start button.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Sorry for sounding like an ass in that last post, I joke around often so take it how you choose. I love Under Defeat and don't think anyone who plays on normal is a baby just because I play on Hard. I just hate it when I get attacked for playing on a different difficulty. No one attacked BBH, but I understand that he is proud of his hi-score as he should be but he seemed to follow up in a more defensive manner than expected.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
maybe I was a little out of line too, but my point was this - I don't think it's right to complain about a game being too easy on default difficulty unless you're completely making it your bitch. I mean yeah, the first couple levels are pretty easy, sure. But the game gets pretty interesting around 1-4, and then 1-5 is... yeah.

I'm not attacking anyone for choosing to play on Hard, you're free to play the game however you want. Default difficulty is almost always the standard for these things though, heck Arcadia primarily tracks games played on factory default settings. Personally I prefer to learn the game on regular settings before jacking the difficulty up, as weird as that sounds :P

I tried Under Defeat briefly on Hard just now, and honestly I couldn't tell much difference. Enemies fired a LITTLE more often, but for the most part it seemed about the same. I did commit a really stupid death though and sorta quit, but I'll give it another try later. Would you like to see me "sack up" and post a score on Hard? :)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
BBH said:
maybe I was a little out of line too, but my point was this - I don't think it's right to complain about a game being too easy on default difficulty unless you're completely making it your bitch. I mean yeah, the first couple levels are pretty easy, sure. But the game gets pretty interesting around 1-4, and then 1-5 is... yeah.

I'm not attacking anyone for choosing to play on Hard, you're free to play the game however you want. Default difficulty is almost always the standard for these things though, heck Arcadia primarily tracks games played on factory default settings. Personally I prefer to learn the game on regular settings before jacking the difficulty up, as weird as that sounds :P

I tried Under Defeat briefly on Hard just now, and honestly I couldn't tell much difference. Enemies fired a LITTLE more often, but for the most part it seemed about the same. I did commit a really stupid death though and sorta quit, but I'll give it another try later. Would you like to see me "sack up" and post a score on Hard? :)

Cool man, glad I understand a bit more. Yeah, I'd love to hear your Hard Hi-Score. Between my buddies and I we're currently averaging 5 to 6 hundred thousand on 1 credit. Not Impressive at all compared to your score, but I really struggle at the 3rd level.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
pfft . . .

I'm getting deep into practice mode

but I somehow end up screwing myself by increasing rank too fast in the real deal

any tips

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
FOR ALL THE HATERS!

underdefeathard.jpg

underdefeathard2.jpg

stage says 2-0 because I cleared the first loop but was denied the second because I didn't have a 95% contribution ratio or whatever throughout the game. :very_ang: :angry: Fucking horseshit. :mad: I fucking hate the fact that being rewarded the second loop is totally reliant on some faggot-ass mysterious bullshit system that wants you to destroy certain things in a stage but never tells you what (sure, you can look at the VMU to try to figure out what affects it, but do you really want to spend too much time looking down at that in the middle of the game). This has already happened to me once before on Normal difficulty too. Somebody really needs to figure out everything that affects the contribution ratio because it's so gay to get denied the second loop even when you clear the first loop on one credit. Fuck.

Okay, sorry about that venting. Anyway, the game does get a little more difficult around 1-4 on Hard. But overall, I don't think it's much of a step up from Normal, so I'll probably keep playing on Normal regardless until I get the all clear (unlikely if the game won't even let me play the second loop every time in the first place!). And THEN I'll go back to playing on Hard. ;)

I do sort of agree that the game could use a "Very Hard" difficulty, but in a way it does have one - the second loop. Seriously, once you earn the option to start from 2-1, try it and get ready to have your ass ROCKED. Enemies fire WAY more often and faster, suicide bullets start to show up and there (mainly from homing missiles, some boats in 2-2, those annoying planes that fire vertically in 2-4 and 2-5, and parts of some bosses), it's seriously a gigantic leap from the first loop on Hard. You'll love it.

roker said:
pfft . . .

I'm getting deep into practice mode

but I somehow end up screwing myself by increasing rank too fast in the real deal

any tips

uhh. anything in particular on one of the stages you need help with?

MarkOfTheMike

Banned
BBH said:
FOR ALL THE HATERS!

underdefeathard.jpg

underdefeathard2.jpg

stage says 2-0 because I cleared the first loop but was denied the second because I didn't have a 95% contribution ratio or whatever throughout the game. :very_ang: :angry: Fucking horseshit. :mad: I fucking hate the fact that being rewarded the second loop is totally reliant on some faggot-ass mysterious bullshit system that wants you to destroy certain things in a stage but never tells you what (sure, you can look at the VMU to try to figure out what affects it, but do you really want to spend too much time looking down at that in the middle of the game). This has already happened to me once before on Normal difficulty too. Somebody really needs to figure out everything that affects the contribution ratio because it's so gay to get denied the second loop even when you clear the first loop on one credit. Fuck.

Okay, sorry about that venting. Anyway, the game does get a little more difficult around 1-4 on Hard. But overall, I don't think it's much of a step up from Normal, so I'll probably keep playing on Normal regardless until I get the all clear (unlikely if the game won't even let me play the second loop every time in the first place!). And THEN I'll go back to playing on Hard. ;)

I do sort of agree that the game could use a "Very Hard" difficulty, but in a way it does have one - the second loop. Seriously, once you earn the option to start from 2-1, try it and get ready to have your ass ROCKED. Enemies fire WAY more often and faster, suicide bullets start to show up and there (mainly from homing missiles, some boats in 2-2, those annoying planes that fire vertically in 2-4 and 2-5, and parts of some bosses), it's seriously a gigantic leap from the first loop on Hard. You'll love it.

uhh. anything in particular on one of the stages you need help with?

YOUR THE MAN NOW DOG!!!

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
BBH said:
FOR ALL THE HATERS!

underdefeathard.jpg

underdefeathard2.jpg

Nice, man. Sounds like a blast. I'll get to the point of second loop eventually...obviously I'm nowhere near it atm. Bottom line, I just haven't played the game that much.

I think there's a substantial difference between 1-1 on normal and hard...the first time I played on default I was worried it was going to be "one of those games" that's just too easy. Obviously I know that's not the case now.

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
I just go the game I love the vga in hdtv :mr_t:

I wanted Metal Slug 6 for dreamcast and all Sega's Atomiswave system games:multi_co:

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
shirt said:
I think there's a substantial difference between 1-1 on normal and hard...the first time I played on default I was worried it was going to be "one of those games" that's just too easy. Obviously I know that's not the case now.

Honestly, I just don't see much of a difference. The enemies fire a LITTLE more often, it's evident in those tanks that fire in one fixed direction right before the bigger tank with the three turrets shows up, otherwise... 1-1 still isn't much of a challenge (nor is it meant to be, really). Maybe I just think it still looks like a breeze since I've spent a bit of time starting from 2-1 lately to practice the second loop some more.

The added difficulty from Hard does start to make a difference around 1-3 and 1-4 though, that's for sure.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
NEOFREAK9189 said:
I just go the game I love the vga in hdtv :mr_t:

I wanted Metal Slug 6 for dreamcast and all Sega's Atomiswave system games:multi_co:

OMGHi2u!

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Hey in GraveYard Stage(1-5), when I fight the boss, the part when the nuke type huge-ass connon comes out, where do I shoot to give it damage? I keep shooting but sometimes it flashes with damage and sometimes not, what am I doin wrong?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
ajk1080 said:
Hey in GraveYard Stage(1-5), when I fight the boss, the part when the nuke type huge-ass connon comes out, where do I shoot to give it damage? I keep shooting but sometimes it flashes with damage and sometimes not, what am I doin wrong?

The best (but not the only) way to do damage is to shoot head-on into the cannon. You have to be almost perfectly lined up vertically too, otherwise your shots will hit the interior of the cannon and do no damage. Same thing with the Option attacks (obviously I recommend using the Rocket for this). Firing a rocket into the barrel will do the most damage, period.

Basically you'll just want to stay at the bottom center of the screen firing into it, until you see the cannon load, then it'll start trying to track you. Forget about doing damage at this point, just keep moving back and forth until the cannon fires. Then move to the top of the screen and get ready to dodge the parallel lines of bullets (use a bomb if you have one and don't think you can dodge it), then start firing when the screen fills with smoke so you can tell where your ship is and better dodge the second wave of bullets (again, use a bomb if you need to). Then move to the bottom center of the screen again, let the Rocket charge up and repeat the process.

There are other ways of doing damage to the boss - using a bomb will take off a little bit of life, although it's barely noticeable. Firing a Rocket at any part of the main section will do a bit of damage, but nowhere near as much as when you send the Rocket down the cannon barrel. Alternatively you can also try getting close to the main part of the boss and crash your Option into it, which'll do about the same amount of damage as a Rocket.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Thx BBH,

BTW is this the last level b4 I loop to 2-1? And the music in this stage is awsome!

AJ

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
ajk1080 said:
Thx BBH,

BTW is this the last level b4 I loop to 2-1? And the music in this stage is awsome!

AJ

yes, it's the last level. I'd hate to have to fight another boss after the monster that is 1-5 ;)

do note of course that as mentioned above, you only get to play the second loop on that credit if you maintain an average contribution ratio of 95% on the first 5 stages. Although the option to start from 2-1 will be unlocked on the select screen anyway (it'll give it to you no matter how many credits you use to complete the game the first time)

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Cool,

Im on 3 credits to the last boss, on easy, with 5 lives....ouch :emb: , game rocks me...I can get to 1-3 w/out dying, but then its all down hill.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Hey folks, I was thinking of getting Under Defeat, I was watching the video of it on YouTube and I thought it looked really cool. Plus I've had Ouendan on order at NCSX since April 10th and they still haven't shipped it out to me yet.. :confused: So if they don't ship it out tommorow, I'm going to cancel the order and get UD.

I just wanted to know how is Lik-Sang and Play-Asia when it comes to shipping out games? I did a few price checks on the normal edition of the game, NCSX had it for 70, PA for 68 and Lik-Sang has it for 65 with free shipping. (Not sure if they charge tax)

I'm going into the city tommorow and if I see any places that have it for 60-65 I might pick it up. Hopefully I can get a good deal on it considering New York State sales tax.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
YuckMud said:
I just wanted to know how is Lik-Sang and Play-Asia when it comes to shipping out games? I did a few price checks on the normal edition of the game, NCSX had it for 70, PA for 68 and Lik-Sang has it for 65 with free shipping. (Not sure if they charge tax)

Been importing from P-A for years. Very pleased with their service. They don't charge tax, and ship out recent games right away.

Regular Edition on P-A

I went for the Limited Edition tho for my first shooter poster. :D

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well I went to PA and got the normal edition, I was at one of the import stores in the city and they only had the LD for 85...:(

So my order came out to 63.50 and that's about 7 bucks cheeper then the price I got from NCSX.

How long is their cheepest shipping? I took the cheep one because I don't really need the game RIGHT NOW because I got both Giga Wings this week and I've been playing them.

As long as I get it in about two weeks I'll be happy.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
YuckMud said:
As long as I get it in about two weeks I'll be happy.

about that long
though I once had an order take one week only