Voltron

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Was cruising around Youtube an found the complete series. Started watching it with my oldest son, and it brought back some great memories.

I always preferred Voltron to some of the other shows such as Transformers. MOTU was certainly in the running for first.

As a kid watching these each week you just watched them as they came too your TV. For the most part, I think they were in sequence.. But no way of knowing, and I certainly don't remember the first few episodes at all. It's nice to be able to watch them in sequence to get the story line behind some of the shows.

Anyway, just the nostalgic ramblings of an aging man.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I understand the point, but the problem with Voltron is that it was censored and cut so badly that you couldn't get the plot even if you did watch them in order. Beast King GoLion was released in subbed form on DVD a few years back, but it had the same issues as the original JP release; the JP dub never had the energy of the US one, for some reason. Losing the US theme song hurts it too much as well.

Even though I watch almost all of my anime subbed, my dream release for this one is a full dub of GoLion that's as close to the original Voltron dub as possible and uses the US theme song. Title and art would call it "Voltron Uncut". After the success of the kickstarter for the Escaflowne blu-ray dub, I wouldn't be surprised if this pops up there eventually.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
YouTube had the original Gundam a couple of years back. I was really getting into it, then they pulled them.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Capitan Centella
hqdefault.jpg

Mazinger
latest

El Vengador
9640806e2a5025611bbf286710fd5dc8.jpg

El Gladiador
gladiador002.jpg

El Galactico
galactico001.jpg

Arbegas El Rayo Custodio
1256978238966.jpg

Los Guardianes del Espacio
gforce1.jpg

Y el mejor de todos...Super Agente Cobra
hqdefault.jpg

...and that's just for starters...however as much as I love Voltron and all, Transformers is amazing, as a concept that is, most of the episodes felt like toy commercials so I get your preference. At least the Japanese made intros and commercial breaks were amazing...same for Thundercats, best intro ever, EVER!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
El Vengador
9640806e2a5025611bbf286710fd5dc8.jpg

He looks like a cross between Wheeljack and Hordak from MOTU...

Mtmte2_fiftyninepointninetynine.jpg
000-54-Hordak-Surprise-640x468.png

...and that's just for starters...however as much as I love Voltron and all, Transformers is amazing, as a concept that is, most of the episodes felt like toy commercials so I get your preference. At least the Japanese made intros and commercial breaks were amazing...same for Thundercats, best intro ever, EVER!

Silverhawks. Rainbow guitar solos FTW.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i'm actually watching the teenage mutant ninja turtles series (2003-2009) on youtube. recently found out that the later series was heavily based on the original comic books, which i'm a big fan of. so far, it reminds me of the 80's show more than it does the comics, but i see the inspiration from the comics in the backstory of the characters.

as for voltron, i was a huge fan of the show as a kid, but the only thing i really remember is the awesome intro and the transformation sequence. was more of a he-man fan my self.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's time for some awesome intros...

For Filthy...

Some SUPER CLASSY SHIT RIGHT HERE!
...midnight fog...
CO-BU-RAH...I could sing that song all day long...so awesome!

A nice little tribute...great sound!

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Guillermo Del Toro is producing a reboot series of Voltron for Netflix, that might be worth checking out
Capitan Centella
hqdefault.jpg

Los Guardianes del Espacio
gforce1.jpg

Is the first one Moonlight Mask? Didn't know he got an anime I'm only familiar with the Tokusatsu, and Battle of the Planets is nothing compared to the original Gatchaman, though I've no idea how they edited the South American version. In America we got Battle of the Planets which added dubbed lines stating no one was actually hurt when buildings exploded and had a robot from a completely different anime explain away stuff like the Prince of a foreign nation literally being turned into a bomb which explodes

Gatchaman on the other hand is gloriously violent, sure its completely bloodless, but they kill motherfuckers, its great

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This one uses the OVA as background...pretty slick.
...peace and love...

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Yeah that's him. The series is actually pretty fun. If your into 70s 80s anime, give it a watch. There used to be a subbed series floating around on YouTube at one point.

oh great, more awesome stuff to watch, let me guess, its got like 70 episodes?

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
i'm actually watching the teenage mutant ninja turtles series (2003-2009) on youtube. recently found out that the later series was heavily based on the original comic books, which i'm a big fan of. so far, it reminds me of the 80's show more than it does the comics, but i see the inspiration from the comics in the backstory of the characters.

as for voltron, i was a huge fan of the show as a kid, but the only thing i really remember is the awesome intro and the transformation sequence. was more of a he-man fan my self.

Just wait until you get to the finale movie of that Turtles series, Turtles Forever, it has the 03 turtles team up with the 80's turtles and at one point they go dimension hopping and see basically every iteration of the turtles over the years including the orignal B&W comic book universe

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Guillermo Del Toro is producing a reboot series of Voltron for Netflix, that might be worth checking out

Is the first one Moonlight Mask? Didn't know he got an anime I'm only familiar with the Tokusatsu, and Battle of the Planets is nothing compared to the original Gatchaman, though I've no idea how they edited the South American version. In America we got Battle of the Planets which added dubbed lines stating no one was actually hurt when buildings exploded and had a robot from a completely different anime explain away stuff like the Prince of a foreign nation literally being turned into a bomb which explodes

Gatchaman on the other hand is gloriously violent, sure its completely bloodless, but they kill motherfuckers, its great
Yeah, we got the uncensored one, Gatchaman we just didn't called it that. I dunno about you but we used to get these cartoons Saturdays at 7AM, I used to set my alarm clock 'cause Cobra was superviolent and I wanted more and more, but then come 8AM was time for he regular stuff everybody was familiar with. 7AM was like the "adult hour" or something. As for moonlight mask, I dunno, I only know him as Capitan Centella, that was the first japansese animation I ever watched besides Marte (Astroboy) and Mazinger.

Did you watch the Gatchaman OVA? Oh man, that was great!

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Yeah, we got the uncensored one, Gatchaman we just didn't called it that. I dunno about you but we used to get these cartoons Saturdays at 7AM, I used to set my alarm clock 'cause Cobra was superviolent and I wanted more and more, but then come 8AM was time for he regular stuff everybody was familiar with. 7AM was like the "adult hour" or something. As for moonlight mask, I dunno, I only know him as Capitan Centella, that was the first japansese animation I ever watched besides Marte (Astroboy) and Mazinger.

According to DecepticonZero Captain Centella is Moonlight Mask, who was largely considered to be Japan's first superhero, he debuted in a black and white live action TV show and before you posted that I had no idea he also got an anime, also you have no idea how lucky you are you got all those great shows uncensored

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

They would show these in the 80s in the after school block from 2-5. Mazinger, G Force, Gaiking, Star Blazers, plus Transformers, Voltron, and GI Joe. I'm not to sure when they aired in the 70s.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
According to DecepticonZero Captain Centella is Moonlight Mask, who was largely considered to be Japan's first superhero, he debuted in a black and white live action TV show and before you posted that I had no idea he also got an anime, also you have no idea how lucky you are you got all those great shows uncensored

I know how lucky I am dude, I laugh about it...you know what's even luckier? That the Spanish dubs beat the shit out of the English ones or French for that matter. Spain was really shinning on Cobra, some where Mexican...so so, but good nonetheless. The Spanniards had it down.

Spanish Dub Cobra > Original JP Cobra

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That's on the lower end of the spectrum for those older shows, I'll see if I can't track it down and give it a watch, I love the older stuff

I loved all these shows growing up. My older cousin watched them in the 70s and gave me all his Jumbo Machinders and cast iron Popy figures. I still have a decent amount of them.

Wasn't G force what they called the UK version of Gatchaman? Or was that just their second attempt at recutting and dubbing it, its been forever since I looked that stuff up since once I found the originals I gave up on anything involving the censored cuts

I don't know tbh. All I know is that when it was on channel 38 here in Boston in the 80s that's what the bumpers and title called it.

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
They would show these in the 80s in the after school block from 2-5. Mazinger, G Force, Gaiking, Star Blazers, plus Transformers, Voltron, and GI Joe. I'm not to sure when they aired in the 70s.

Wasn't G force what they called the UK version of Gatchaman? Or was that just their second attempt at recutting and dubbing it, its been forever since I looked that stuff up since once I found the originals I gave up on anything involving the censored cuts

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I loved all these shows growing up. My older cousin watched them in the 70s and gave me all his Jumbo Machinders and cast iron Popy figures. I still have a decent amount of them.

Those toys were great, they don't make stuff nearly as nice these days, I'm super envious of you right now