Voltron

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I always thought that the Dragonball Sayains transformed took from Centella's Kong.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I always thought that the Dragonball Sayains transformed took from Centella's Kong.

Its possible, Toriyama took stuff from numerous sources, primarily Journey to the West and old Jackie Chan films, and it's not like transformations weren't already kind of a thing in anime at the time he was doing DBZ

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes but I think Rey Kong was the first...not even Gigantor had transformations like that.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Transformers

Voltron

Go-Bots

That said, a friend of mine works in television production and worked on a number of animated shows in the 80s. He went on and on about what idiots the producers of Transformers were, and how the animation quality was very poor. He said that Go-Bots was a big step up in production quality. I told him that playground felt very differently back in the 80s. ;)

I noticed that Netflix is producing a new Voltron show. It doesn't look as though it's begun yet, but I might check it out when its available.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It might be true but Go-Bots concept design was so awful...what TR had over gobots was better concept art, that's what really sold TR.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
Never got into Voltron much but I recommend checking some of my old Favs:

Super Campeones
campeones.jpg

Mazinger Z
Mazinger_z_and_koji_by_ieko2011-d3jlzy4.jpg

He-man
Heman_orko.jpg

Thundercats
thundercsts.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Super Campeones
View attachment 33838

OMG yes! This show was amazing, I'd run from school during 10th grade to watch it, it was awesome! Steve was my favorite character.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
All I know is that when it was on channel 38 here in Boston in the 80s that's what the bumpers and title called it.

When I saw it on 38 in the early 90's, there was a copyright date of 1986, with Turner logos at the end of the credits.

Wasn't G force what they called the UK version of Gatchaman? Or was that just their second attempt at recutting and dubbing it, its been forever since I looked that stuff up since once I found the originals I gave up on anything involving the censored cuts

If memory serves me correctly, Gatchaman was (obviously) the JP title, Battle of The Planets was the first edited iteration of the show for the US, then it was reworked into G-Force.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
When I saw it on 38 in the early 90's, there was a copyright date of 1986, with Turner logos at the end of the credits.

If memory serves me correctly, Gatchaman was (obviously) the JP title, Battle of The Planets was the first edited iteration of the show for the US, then it was reworked into G-Force.

That makes sense to me.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
That's Jeeg. He was part of the Micronauts series.

Yes and no. Takara's magnetically jointed Steel Jeeg toy from 1975 was repurposed into the N. American Micronauts characters Baron Karza, Force Commander, & Emperor. Jeeg's Panzeroid was also "localized" into the respective horse mecha of said trio.

The 1975 Jeeg tv cartoon & manga has zero overlap with the various Microman manga published during the '70s; It was a Go Nagai & Tatsuya Yasuda creation.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yes and no. Takara's magnetically jointed Steel Jeeg toy from 1975 was repurposed into the N. American Micronauts characters Baron Karza, Force Commander, & Emperor. Jeeg's Panzeroid was also "localized" into the respective horse mecha of said trio.

The 1975 Jeeg tv cartoon & manga has zero overlap with the various Microman manga published during the '70s; It was a Go Nagai & Tatsuya Yasuda creation.

Ah good to know. I've never seen the series, just knew him from restoring a few of the Jumbo Machinders of him.over the years.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
I'd take out a separate insurance policy on those Jumbos if I were you. Several of 'em are already well past forty years old, numerous molds never got reissued, and the global aftermarket values certainly reflect that. For 15+ years I've been searching in vain for a Machinder of God Marz that doesn't cost more than a vacation trip to Vegas. :lolz:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Somehow I feel super guilty leaving all my big robot toys behind at home...not that I didn't beat the shit out of them as a kid though...I had Afrodita but blue and yellow instead of red and yellow, out of all the ones I had I think that's the one I never saw anywhere else ever again...I've tried to search for her online but then again a lot of toys in Colombia were super bootleg...like Super Friends Pack came with Hulk and Spider-Man...lol

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'd take out a separate insurance policy on those Jumbos if I were you. Several of 'em are already well past forty years old, numerous molds never got reissued, and the global aftermarket values certainly reflect that. For 15+ years I've been searching in vain for a Machinder of God Marz that doesn't cost more than a vacation trip to Vegas. :lolz:

When I had a large collection I had it insured. Back then, I had all of the major ones with the exception of the villans. I had a guy in HK that was able to get pretty much any of the hard to find ones. They all required work, but that was part of the fun. The ones I have left now total just under 5k, so they are covered in my home owners policy.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Somehow I feel super guilty leaving all my big robot toys behind at home...not that I didn't beat the shit out of them as a kid though...I had Afrodita but blue and yellow instead of red and yellow, out of all the ones I had I think that's the one I never saw anywhere else ever again...I've tried to search for her online but then again a lot of toys in Colombia were super bootleg...like Super Friends Pack came with Hulk and Spider-Man...lol

And yes, ID still love to get an Aphrodite A bootleg. I still look on a daily basis.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
So much goodness in this thread. Anyone remember C.O.P.S.?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
And yes, ID still love to get an Aphrodite A bootleg. I still look on a daily basis.

There's a new one that looks way nice, up to par on scale wise too, the only thing is that it looks a bit more like the cartoon which is a good thing but less like the other molds so she might stick out a bit compared to the others. She looks really awesome though, tata torpedos and the works.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
There's a new one that looks way nice, up to par on scale wise too, the only thing is that it looks a bit more like the cartoon which is a good thing but less like the other molds so she might stick out a bit compared to the others. She looks really awesome though, tata torpedos and the works.

The only one I've seen pop up is the wacky looking custom ones made in Italy that the guy wants $1500.00 for. Do you have a link to this new one?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So much goodness in this thread. Anyone remember C.O.P.S.?

That first episode where the big black dude got almost killed was one of the most violent things I ever witnessed as a kid. It's probably nothing now, but at the time I was like 0_0

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
The first jap cartoons i remember when i was a young fella were marine boy and star blazers, i used to love them.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
He looks like a cross between Wheeljack and Hordak from MOTU...

View attachment 33831
View attachment 33832
That's Jeeg. He predates Transformers and He-Man by about one decade.

Kotetsu_Jeeg_DVD_Vol5.jpg

They did a remake of it several years back.

capa.gif

edit: whoops, beaten to it by DecepticonZero and stefan. Oh, well.