Was your mum (mom) a decent cook?

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
My momp's a fantastic cooker lady. Shes amazing and we never ever had any kind of dish where the family thought "oh not that..." growing up.

Her spanish rice (we's hispanix) recipe is from my dad's mom which was then passed down to me, so the rice I make is super great. I learned a lot of standard cooking techniques from her. Im no chef, so if someone like Ramsay watched me slice an onion he'd lose his mind, but I can still make stuff taste good.

To this day, my mom's chicken (or beef) caldo cannot be beat. Shoot, I'll eat a couple bowls in the summer if she makes it. She also makes this ridiculously amazing dish which is zucchini and chicken with corn, which is called "calabaza con pollo" in spanish and dang that stuff is smack yo momma good. Mine is almost as good, but not as good.

I think the only thing my mom is average at in the kitchen is making flour tortillas. Her corn tortillas are stupid perfect. Damn, get em off the comal and you can eat them corny torts by themselves. Oof. But flour torts - while still very good and tasty - can't really hold a candle to my grandmother's (her mom) recipe.

Now I want my mom to make me some food.

My mom would make the same foods. Caldo, beef soup, on a hot day summer day would happen once in a while, why?, I don't know but it would hit the spot, especially with handmade tortillas.

I remember being 18 and taking my mom's food to work. After reheating my food and popping the lid people would ask what I was eating. They'd say it smelled so good or reminded them of their mom's kitchen. Then the offers would come, "Want to trade lunch? Or "Can you ask your mom to cook extra for me and I will pay?"

Once, my mom made a simple dish of egg and zucchini and I gave some to a coworker. Afterwards, this dude would literally ask me daily if she made it again. Haha.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Your mom may not be a great cook, but at least she stocks up on decent snacks for you that I can steal on my way out in the morning.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My mom became an excellent cook almost immediately after I went away to college. The amount of change and timing of which were startling. But appreciated in hindsight, because I started my late-teens skinny as a rail and my life on my own with the ability to easily go without food for days at a time.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My mom is a great cook...probably part of the reason it took me so long to move out. :vik:

Wife is a great cook as well, thankfully. :vik:

I could probably count the number of times I cooked anything on a single hand. :oops:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My mom is a great cook...probably part of the reason it took me so long to move out. :vik:

Wife is a great cook as well, thankfully. :vik:

I could probably count the number of times I cooked anything on a single hand. :oops:

How about MIL?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My mom became an excellent cook almost immediately after I went away to college. The amount of change and timing of which were startling. But appreciated in hindsight, because I started my late-teens skinny as a rail and my life on my own with the ability to easily go without food for days at a time.
Canon updated.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
She’s great as well

:oops:

My MIL isn't the best, but there are some things that she makes that she kills it at like a beef stew and home made bread.

Two of her three daughters (my wife and the middle sister) are pretty great cooks. Wife is great, sis in law is stupid ridiculous good at anything cooking related. The oldest sister makes some good stuff, but nothing terribly amazing.

My sister inherited my mom's cooking ability. My dad was an excellent pitmaster. Im not that great on the grill, sadly. But I can hold my own in the kitchen.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
My MIL isn't the best, but there are some things that she makes that she kills it at like a beef stew and home made bread.

Two of her three daughters (my wife and the middle sister) are pretty great cooks. Wife is great, sis in law is stupid ridiculous good at anything cooking related. The oldest sister makes some good stuff, but nothing terribly amazing.

My sister inherited my mom's cooking ability. My dad was an excellent pitmaster. Im not that great on the grill, sadly. But I can hold my own in the kitchen.

My wife is the youngest of 9 kids. 8 sisters and 1 brother. When they get together and cook it makes me very very happy

neo_mao

15 Year Member
ya i don't know too many i lost track

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In terms of feeding 4 kids healthy meals on a regular basis for 30+ years...
yeah, my mom was an amazing cook.

Does she have any secret family recipes that I make on special occasions? No. not really.

My Dad picked up cooking later in life, and he had some amazing recipes that we love to share.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Have you ever went over a friend's house to eat And the food just ain't no good?
I mean the macaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed, And the chicken tastes like wood
So you try to play it off like you think you can By saying that you're full
And then your friend says, "Mama, he's just being polite. He ain't finished, uh-uh, that's bull!"

So your heart starts pumpin' and you think of a lie And you say that you already ate
And your friend says, "Man, there's plenty of food." So he piles some more on your plate While the stinky food's steamin', your mind starts to dreamin'
Of the moment it's time to leave
And then you look at your plate and your chicken's slowly rottin' Into something that looks like cheese Oh so you say, "That's it, I gotta leave this place. I don't care what these people think. I'm just sittin' here makin' myself nauseous
With this ugly food that stinks."
So you bust out the door while it's still closed Still sick from the food you ate
And then you run to the store for quick relief From a bottle of Kaopectate
And then you call your friend two weeks later To see how he has been
And he says, "I understand about the food,
Baby Bubba, but we're still friends

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I never really appreciated my mom's cooking until i got older. Mainly because i always wanted to eat american food to fit in. Everyone always ask her to bring her Kutsinta & Bibinka to filipino parties. My fav of her is her Adobo Pusit. Even though i have the recipe, i could never replicate it. One of my biggest regret was never cooking with her and learning how she made her food. Luckily my wife was able to learn a couple of her dishes and my dad knows some too.