Was your mum (mom) a decent cook?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Mine was pretty lame, nothing was seasoned, there were a lot of reheats of meals that were already shit first time round.

P.s. sorry if you didn't have a mum growing up, I didn't mean to bring up bad memories with this thread

P.p.s. I bet that's made you a weird adult

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My mom's family was good in the kitchen, herself included. My dad could make burgers or pizza.

Mother in law on the other hand, awful cook. Everything is burnt to a crisp. "If it ain't burnt, it ain't her cookin'"

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
You could eat it and not die... 😬

My former MIL (& EX wife) on the other hand! 😋

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I ate quite a bit of my mom's cooking. While probably nowhere near chef level, it was her style of cooking 'comfort food' that I truly loved. Holidays were her time to shine as she knew all the tricks of the trade. While I do cook quite a bit, I only wish she showed me more on how to make some of those dishes she made while growing up. I can duplicate it but it will never be as good as mom's old cooking.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My mom was a great cook, I spent a considerable amount of time in the kitchen with her when I was little and learned a lot in the process. At first we also did lots of pickling, bottling and canning of veggies and other stuff we got from our relatives who still had farms but this changed later on in the mid-to-late 70s when the big malls/supermarkets appeared in the outskirts of our town and lured us in with a vast selection of stuff and low prices.

The most cherished dish she made was Sunday pig roast with dumplings, a wonderful sauce/gravy and endive (if in season) or green salad. The potato dumplings alone were so good I looked forward to Sunday lunch for days. I can also make a decent shoulder of pig roast but it's no comparison. Some of her soups also were delicious.

On the downside, she mostly went with what she was used to and never experimented with new stuff and rarely tried out new dishes. For instance, we never had pizza or burgers when my sis and I were little, of course we went to McD's later on when the first restaurants opened over here but she would never have made some herself, let alone eat them. After our first holiday in Spain in 1980, I was very fond of fish and sea food and asked her to cook some. Well, she liked fish herself but dad and sis did not so the most we got fish-wise were fish fingers served with fries and mayo. Not too bad but I would have killed for some mussels or crabs or something like that.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
My mom was and is a decent cook. Her recipes were often limited to what she could make in 45 minutes though, so we weren't getting super elaborate dishes that take hours to prepare.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Every time Tak posts about food, I get either mildly jealous or at the very least reminded of how much my parents and even myself are products of a particularly distinct post war American 'ready made products' culture.

As a kid my mom was routine above all else. With kids now I totally get it. Meatloaf was once a week, tuna casserole (Campbell's condensed soup casseroles of many sorts but this one is probably the cheapest), pork chops with potatoes and veg (or steak sometimes), wypipo crock pot tacos or chili served Cincinnati style but with heartier, no cinnamon chili. Leftover night was also once a week. None of this is to be ungrateful, I still love tuna casserole. We definitely ate more beef as a kid while in our house today we almost exclusively do chicken for protein. Burgers are mostly the only real occasional red meat. I love steak but wife doesn't particularly and with the cost, meh, it's a rarity.

Now that I'm older my mom is a great cook. I'm sure it's the benefit of time (both experience of age but also not having to come home, do four kids sports practices and turn around a dinner in time to put kids to bed) as much as anything else, and she is still very much doing home style menus (not going to make many curries or anything like that) but I always come home fatter than ever from holiday visits to my parents.

P.S. The parody thread for this basically writes itself.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
My mom knows how to cool quite well, but on occasion cooks some traditional Ecuadorian dishes like humitas or seco de pollo. My dad is more the chef in the house, as he worked evenings. He would cook based off of what the food network chefs were doing and figure things out, and leave it on the stove for my mom to serve when she got home from work. Phenomenal dishes, I was far as a kid for a reason.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Every time Tak posts about food, I get either mildly jealous or at the very least reminded of how much my parents and even myself are products of a particularly distinct post war American 'ready made products' culture.

As a kid my mom was routine above all else. With kids now I totally get it. Meatloaf was once a week, tuna casserole (Campbell's condensed soup casseroles of many sorts but this one is probably the cheapest), pork chops with potatoes and veg (or steak sometimes), wypipo crock pot tacos or chili served Cincinnati style but with heartier, no cinnamon chili. Leftover night was also once a week. None of this is to be ungrateful, I still love tuna casserole. We definitely ate more beef as a kid while in our house today we almost exclusively do chicken for protein. Burgers are mostly the only real occasional red meat. I love steak but wife doesn't particularly and with the cost, meh, it's a rarity.

Now that I'm older my mom is a great cook. I'm sure it's the benefit of time (both experience of age but also not having to come home, do four kids sports practices and turn around a dinner in time to put kids to bed) as much as anything else, and she is still very much doing home style menus (not going to make many curries or anything like that) but I always come home fatter than ever from holiday visits to my parents.

P.S. The parody thread for this basically writes itself.

I only have to feed myself and I find the price of beef to be quite distasteful, despite it probably being my favorite meat.

It’s just so incredibly expensive compared to other meat options.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
My mom was a great cook! She was born in Mexico and learned to cook there. We could go weeks with out eating the same main dish, but the sides were pretty common, beans and rice, unless it was a American dish. Additionally, hand made tortillas, either flour or corn, were pretty common.

She was not a fan of pork, so we mostly had chicken or beef as the main proteins. When she was in her 20s she started working for an American family in Texas and learned to cook many traditional American dishes and sides.

So a week could consist of BBQ beef ribs, enchiladas, chile Rojo ( beef and potatoes in a red chili sauce, meet loaf, chicken chop suey, rib eye roast, and menudo. Holidays were the best though, because she'd go all out cook way too much food.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
My momp's a fantastic cooker lady. Shes amazing and we never ever had any kind of dish where the family thought "oh not that..." growing up.

Her spanish rice (we's hispanix) recipe is from my dad's mom which was then passed down to me, so the rice I make is super great. I learned a lot of standard cooking techniques from her. Im no chef, so if someone like Ramsay watched me slice an onion he'd lose his mind, but I can still make stuff taste good.

To this day, my mom's chicken (or beef) caldo cannot be beat. Shoot, I'll eat a couple bowls in the summer if she makes it. She also makes this ridiculously amazing dish which is zucchini and chicken with corn, which is called "calabaza con pollo" in spanish and dang that stuff is smack yo momma good. Mine is almost as good, but not as good.

I think the only thing my mom is average at in the kitchen is making flour tortillas. Her corn tortillas are stupid perfect. Damn, get em off the comal and you can eat them corny torts by themselves. Oof. But flour torts - while still very good and tasty - can't really hold a candle to my grandmother's (her mom) recipe.

Now I want my mom to make me some food.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
My mom says she sucks at cooking but for an Irish broad who came from a family with no interest in seasoning or flavor in their food, she was pretty good. When we were kids and relatively poor, it was a lot of hot dogs, burgers, pasta, meat loaf and canned soup but as we got older, there was a decent amount of variety and there was nothing that my sister or I really dreaded: quiche, enchiladas, slightly more advanced Italian dishes where she would make her own sauce, turkey chili, chicken tortilla soup plus your standard meat/potato/veg plates but actually seasoned and cooked pretty well.

No one was going to mistake her for Emeril and neither of my parents are particularly adventurous eaters to this day but she was a lot better than she gives herself credit for.

I got really lucky... the wife is a very good cook. She actually wanted to go to culinary school but her parents convinced her to go to college instead. She has a good natural instinct for it and can whip up things without a recipe at this point and have it turn out good nine times out of ten. She has about a dozen staples that she cycles through but she's always mixing in new stuff as well when she finds an interesting recipe or just gets a wild hair up her ass.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Pictures of any other rack? 🤔

The boob hunter

My mum had some particularly weird combinations of stuff which she made to please herself and no one else. Stuff like broccoli in lumpy cheese sauce, or bland butterbean soup that would make you fart for a whole week.

Me and my brother used to tease her that as she‘d grown up in New Zealand all she could cook would be bush tucker and road kill. We were ungrateful pricks, but only half wrong.

My dad hated these weird meals too and sometimes did his own thing - I’d try steal as much of that as possible, he was a good cook, particularly for curries.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
My mom is a great cook. However ask kids we would get the same meal every weekday for 18 years.
Monday peas and carrots with potato and pork chops
Tuesday beans and potatos and some other part of the pig (we call it mignonettes)
Wednesday spaghetti bolognaise (yay)
Thursday mashed potatoes with fish sticks and chicory. (This changed later to spinach and cod)
Friday cauliflower with bechamel sauce and headless bird ( minced meat wrapped in bacon) and potatoes.
Saturday was the glorious day of diversity:
Omelette, Nasi Goreng, Chicken with rice in Madeira sauce, Mac and cheese….
Sunday steak and Belgian fries.

So now you know what I ate for the first 18 years of my life .
Guess which day I like to visit…