Weekly Roundup

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
PS5
Grim Fandango with my lousy bony fingers.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Well Uncharted 3 kept crashing so I gave up.

I've been wanting to play the Lost Legacy DLC for a long time and Sony in their infinite wisdom have made it so that the only way to do that now is by re-buying Uncharted 4 bundled with the DLC or subscribing to one of the higher PSN tiers. Brilliant.

But it turns out that Lost Legacy actually got a stand alone physical release and I found a copy in a local game store.

It's excellent so far. I can see why it got a separate release as it's more than just an extra level or two, it's practically a whole other game. Albeit smaller in scope.
I've played that I think, I thought it was good.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've played that I think, I thought it was good.
I'm almost done with it and have really enjoyed it. Chloe is a good character, the little open world is nice and lets you go at your own pace. Plus the visuals are incredible, some of the best scenery in the entire series.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
iPhone
Pocket Card Jockey RIde ON!

Switch
Mario Party Superstars
Double Dragon Gaiden
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Tetris 99
Pinball FX
Various Daylife

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
IMG_1749.jpegIMG_1748.jpeg

What the hell has my life come to

Waiting on laundry to finish, and Battle Monsters enters my evening

This game is so jank, lol. Hard to believe naxat soft had anything to do with this.

This game makes me want to fold laundry to have a reason to turn it off.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
View attachment 67827View attachment 67828

What the hell has my life come to

Waiting on laundry to finish, and Battle Monsters enters my evening

This game is so jank, lol. Hard to believe naxat soft had anything to do with this.

This game makes me want to fold laundry to have a reason to turn it off.

The utter disbelief grows! The team that made this went on to make AJPW vs Virtua and the the Giant Gram games. I can’t get my head around how bad this is…given how amazing their future output would be.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
3DS
Fire Emblem Fates Birthright - on chapter 13, not bad but fairly simple maps and story is super anime weebfest. Got home yesterday and am going to probably get back into RE4 Remake

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hellfire - arcade. I had only played the Genesis port before. I was surprised to learn it was a Toaplan game because it lacks the usual Toaplan flourishes. The music is a giveaway though. It is really a barebones, spartan shooter, but even then it's still entertaining.

Thunder Cross – arcade. Was anyone else aware that Konami had another shooter series besides Gradius and Salamander? It feels as if it's a sidestory to Gradius, but things are different enough. Power up system is automatic and no respawn points so it is easy to just credit feed, until the last level where continuing isn't allowed. The whole game feels like Konami's B-Team developed it, it never gets as good as Gradius but it's still OK on its own. I am still astounded I never knew this game existed, can't recall anyone ever talking about the two Thunder Cross games.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thunder Cross – arcade. Was anyone else aware that Konami had another shooter series besides Gradius and Salamander? It feels as if it's a sidestory to Gradius, but things are different enough. Power up system is automatic and no respawn points so it is easy to just credit feed, until the last level where continuing isn't allowed. The whole game feels like Konami's B-Team developed it, it never gets as good as Gradius but it's still OK on its own. I am still astounded I never knew this game existed, can't recall anyone ever talking about the two Thunder Cross games.
They actually released a Thunder Cross collection for the PS2 in Japan. Both games definitely feel B tier, but they're not bad. I remember the sequel being the better of the two.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
PS5
TMNT Shredders Revenge

I was messing around with DS2 but i'm getting into tmnt shredders revenge recent dlc dimension shellshock.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS3

Tales of Symphonia- Well this hasn't aged all that well. It's kind of in that awkward middle stage where jrpgs were a little too ambitious for their own good while also still relying on really basic genre tropes and mechanics. It's not old school enough to be charming like a lot of PS1 era jrpgs. The art style still looks pretty decent until they start using in game cutscenes which are terrible. Everything just feels very unpolished and clunky. I also found the story and characters to be tedious and too cliche, even for a jrpg. The game is almost 20 years old though so some of it is to be expected. Still I think this is remembered very fondly but is honestly mediocre. I remember really liking it when I played it on the Gamecube but revisiting it was not at all satisfying. The animated cutscenes and soundtrack are alright though.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The Messenger- This is a fantastic retro styled action/platform/puzzler, easily as good Shovel Knight, Cyber Shadow etc.
I still need to play my physical copy of that, I may have to open it up based on your suggestion

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
IMG_1849.jpegIMG_1843.jpegIMG_1844.jpeg
IMG_1842.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg
Amazing hybrid physical/video game, that I’ve never seen in the wild before tonight. Still running a crisp CRT…this thing is a time capsule.

You ‘bowl’ the real life ball, and after it hits the back stop-*seamlessly* a video game bowling representation of your throw (complete with velocity sensitive momentum/spin/aim) plays out.

Addicting and fun!!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
PS3

Tales of Symphonia- Well this hasn't aged all that well. It's kind of in that awkward middle stage where jrpgs were a little too ambitious for their own good while also still relying on really basic genre tropes and mechanics. It's not old school enough to be charming like a lot of PS1 era jrpgs. The art style still looks pretty decent until they start using in game cutscenes which are terrible. Everything just feels very unpolished and clunky. I also found the story and characters to be tedious and too cliche, even for a jrpg. The game is almost 20 years old though so some of it is to be expected. Still I think this is remembered very fondly but is honestly mediocre. I remember really liking it when I played it on the Gamecube but revisiting it was not at all satisfying. The animated cutscenes and soundtrack are alright though.
I have never played a Tales game :(

Maybe once I get through the FFs, DQs, BoFs, Star Oceans, and Phantasy Stars.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I have never played a Tales game :(

Maybe once I get through the FFs, DQs, BoFs, Star Oceans, and Phantasy Stars.
Honestly if you want a good action-jpg I'd go with Y's over any of the Tales games.

I would never try to get through all those series, maybe a couple of the best games in each series. Life is too short to play bad games and most jrpgs are not great.

PS4
Death Smiles 1&2- The first one is still one of my favorite shumps. The sequel is terrible.
Real Bout Special & 2- These old PS2 ports are not the best but hey any Real Bout is still awesome.

exA-Arcadia
Dodonpachi SDOJ- Pretty dope.
Noisz- This is a rhythm/shmup hybrid with big inspiration from Ikaruga. Not for me but it's an interesting concept.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
PS4 Shadow Warrior 1. Goofy game but the framerate is high and its an easy pick up and play game. Plus you get to hack shit up with a samurai sword.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Beat chulip, a game about kissing people in town to find happyness so I can kiss HAPPENIS, a 14 year old girl that you had a dream of kissing under the tree of love. Reminds me of Takeshis challenge on the famicom

1694536075745.png
1694536101761.png
1694536133445.png

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Blood Bros. - the title for this game was so lame I avoided this for years but it's a great arcade game in the genre of NAM-1975, except it's a single screen game (no scrolling). Developed by the mysterious Tad Corporation who were best known for Toki. Little things like the cowboy dancing around and going further into the background after beating a stage really give it some charm.

NAM-1975 - the first four games for the Neo were this, Baseball Stars Professional, Magician Lord, and a mahjong game, all released on April 26th, 1990. I always thought this was such a strange idea for the first Neo game but thinking of the variety of the four games at release it makes sense. The animation is still top-notch and fluid, seeing the enemies on fire is satisfying, but the oddness of the first level bosses leaves a disappointment that every other boss doesn't stack up. It still blows my mind you literally shoot at and demolish a statue of Buddha in the first level. I've always liked this despite never being able to beat Dr. Muckly. What I hate is that I feel like I almost know the pattern to beat Muckly but just can't pull it off.

Power Blade - one of those NES games that was completely remade for an American audience, I frst discovered this game in the early 2000s and was blown away by it. Playing it today the music really reminded me of Castlevania and whaddya know, the same composer for Castlevania did the music for this. Today was the first time I beat the game and I was surprised at how easy it was to go through compared to other platformers of the era. Still a very cool game.

Power Blade 2 - got this for a dollar along with Power Blade almost 20 years ago and now I see it's going for $500ish? LMBO. Anyways. It was a bad idea to give the game a darker color palette, and it just doesn't 'feel' as fun as the original. Haven't beat it yet but my opinion hasn't changed from way back when, the original is better but this is still serviceable. I'm amazed Taito made a sequel in the first place.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS5
Resident Evil 4 Remake - fantastic reimagining of the game, so many quality of life improvements. Looking forward to the Separate Ways DLC once we have time.

Dead Space - I appreciate this remake, it sticks pretty close to the original, but deviates and expands on a lot of mechanics and questions. We beat this last week and immediately started a new game plus for the new armor. Didn't know there's an alternate ending so we'll go for that.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Loaded up the neo 25 w/ KoF 97, AoF3, Shock Troopers, and Last Blade.

I just keep coming back to Last Blade, lol. Not that the other games are bad…something just really resonating with me and smacking folks with fishing poles this week.