Weekly Roundup

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
From the past month:

Contra Hard Corps - Japanese version, man what were they thinking giving a health bar. Still a great game but the American version is so much better without the health bar. I remember this game blowing me away when I played it for the first time in the mid-2000s, unfortunately doesn't hit the same but what does? Still great. So incredibly imaginative.

Contra Advance - shitty port of III with two levels of Hard Corps. Shitty, shitty port. And I love the SNES game. What a waste of potential by not just making an all-new Contra for the GBA instead.

Metal Slug - still a classic, still a perfect game.

Metal Slug 2 - like it better now than when I had it on MVS. Is it my emulation machine taking away the slowdown?

Metal Slug X - guys how do we feel about killing dogs? Mummy dogs, but still

Metal Slug 4 - no idea what they were thinking when whoever made this, made it

Metal Slug 5 - actually a good game. Doesn't touch the Nazca game but still good. I remember thinking the final boss confusing me the first time I played this game when it came out, but it makes sense they're fighting cultists summoning some Cthulu-esque monster. Haven't played this in such a long time along with 4, was glad it still held up for me.

Aliens - Konami arcade game. I had heard good things for a long time, and it is a fun arcade game. I like the liberties Konami took with the aliens.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
From the past month:

Contra Hard Corps - Japanese version, man what were they thinking giving a health bar. Still a great game but the American version is so much better without the health bar. I remember this game blowing me away when I played it for the first time in the mid-2000s, unfortunately doesn't hit the same but what does? Still great. So incredibly imaginative.

Contra Advance - shitty port of III with two levels of Hard Corps. Shitty, shitty port. And I love the SNES game. What a waste of potential by not just making an all-new Contra for the GBA instead.

Metal Slug - still a classic, still a perfect game.

Metal Slug 2 - like it better now than when I had it on MVS. Is it my emulation machine taking away the slowdown?

Metal Slug X - guys how do we feel about killing dogs? Mummy dogs, but still

Metal Slug 4 - no idea what they were thinking when whoever made this, made it

Metal Slug 5 - actually a good game. Doesn't touch the Nazca game but still good. I remember thinking the final boss confusing me the first time I played this game when it came out, but it makes sense they're fighting cultists summoning some Cthulu-esque monster. Haven't played this in such a long time along with 4, was glad it still held up for me.

Aliens - Konami arcade game. I had heard good things for a long time, and it is a fun arcade game. I like the liberties Konami took with the aliens.

Local pizza hut had the Aliens game.
Parents would get mad because we would spend the whole time playing it instead of eating.
I remember it creeping me out more than the movie did at first, I guess perhaps because I felt like it was me fighting for my life instead of just watching it play out.
Fond 35+ year old memories!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I finished Final Fantasy II (Dawn of Souls version) and clocked in at just over 24 hours.

Finished Fantasies: I, II, IV, VI, VII, X, XIII
Nice. I am still on FF5 pixel remake from going through that series.

I started a FF1 on NES and it surprised me how into it I am. The old asthetic is very nice.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Gameboy - New Mcdonalds game came out yesterday Grimaces Birthday really fun skateboarding game.

Steamdeck - Mighty Switch Force & Jet Set Radio.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m currently playing the Final Fantasy 16 demo on PS5. Graphically, it is a stunning showcase of what the PS5 can do. Story wise, yeah it’s typical FF stuff with wars, crystals, lots of cutscenes and about 2 minutes of actual doing something… but the quality of the sword gameplay is very close to that of Witcher 3, and the voice acting is the best of any Final Fantasy game I’ve dipped my toe into - probably because it is mainly a British cast.

There is still some ropey dialogue, as is tradition. Also seeing swearing in a Final Fantasy game is kinda adorable because they don’t know how to do it properly.

I didn’t think I was interested in this game before playing the free demo. Now I think I’ll pick this up, although maybe not day 1.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Street Fighter x Tekken :keke:

Finally started Beyond a Steel Sky.
Goat Simulator 3

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Android :
Grand Prix Story (Kairosoft)

PC :
Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Scummvm :
Sam & Max Hit the road

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Went back to some of my Vita backlog and am playing through the pervy Criminal Girls. That and Cathedral on Evercade. Garbage party over here.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
OutZone - lives up to the hype. After all that balls to the wall action, I could only laugh at the ending.

Fix Eight - spiritual sequel to OutZone. It adds so much more but ends up feeling flat. Bummer but still OK.
Great picks, LS.

I've just been playing Tears of the Kingdom. It starts out not feeling like a retread but after a few hours they were like, "Fuck it; go find these 10 things on this map here. That'll get you 20 hours of gameplay." I still enjoy it and it's beautiful to look at.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Switch
Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle - almost done with this one (World 4-4), there's a surprising amount to do here

Genesis
X-Men
Sonic 2

MVS
Neo Bomberman
Flipshot
Samurai Shodown IV

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
AES
Top Hunter - Super fun and vibrant game! It’s pretty easy but has some good replay value. Definitely play with a friend as it can get old playing alone.

3DS
Sonic Lost World - A horrible experience at best. Attack and jump are mapped to the same button making controlling sonic extremely wonky. The camera is also horrible being the only video game to ever give me motion sickness. Level designs are also bad, being way too long sometimes and having to pause the gameplay to constantly tell you what to do. 10 levels in and the game is still telling me how to jump off walls (a mechanic introduced in the 2nd level)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Ninja Saviors - Switch.

These Natsume/Atari reduxs (Pocky y Rocky/WildGuns/etc ) are right up my alley. Would be cool to see a totally new game w/ a new property get this treatment.

HellioN

20 Year Member
So I finished Beyond a Steel Sky and already want to play it again to get the last 5 or so trophies I missed.
The adventure games might roll on after with Syberia 3.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
NTM and Slugs

Pilot Wings 64 and Mario Kart 64

Scramble beta, helping the guy debug it (I helped with a Robotron port earlier). Already pointed out an area where you couldn't get hit. I could have not mentioned it so it would have been a trick but the guy wants this bug free and a 100% accurate port.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS4

Axiom Verge- Still holds up pretty well for one of the earlier faux retro Metroidvanias.

HellioN

20 Year Member
PS5-100% complete in Beyond a Steel Sky
PS store has KoF XIV (14) Ultimate Edition for $8 for the next week.
So I bought that and been playing it a little.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS4

Axiom Verge- Still holds up pretty well for one of the earlier faux retro Metroidvanias.
I really enjoyed this on the switch, but the lack of fast travel really limited how much backtracking i wanted to do. Soundtrack sounds phenomenal !

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Atomic Runner - played through the 1988 arcade original and 92 Genesis remake. This game was really innovative with its unique controls. I first played it as a teenager in 2005 and it's been one of my favorites since then. I never liked the arcade original that much until I played through it this time. It's kind of like Contra and Super C in that, despite the home ports being much better, the arcade originals set the foundation for everything. The Genesis game just destroys the arcade graphically though. Attached a picture of the last boss battle from both for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_234808.jpg
    IMG_20230623_234808.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5