Weekly Roundup

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS5
Nier Automata - played through endings A through E, fantastic game.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor - on Koboh, I enjoy the fast travel as that was a terrible oversight in the last game. Combat is fluid and I appreciate that we still have the skills we acquired in the last game.

Switch
Final Fantasy VI - defended Narsche, and Terra went ape shit. Overall much faster gameplay and grinding isn't a smidge of a chore. Classic graphics filters are ass, but I'm also playing a remaster so if I wanted old stuff I'd just play my SNES.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wardner - Genesis version. What a shame I can't find any discussion on this game in the forum. I must have first played this around 2010 or earlier when I bought the Mega Drive game off of here or wolfgames.com? I can't recall. Anyways I really enjoyed this game back then and I'm glad I still do.

I guess this might have been the first Toaplan game I ever played. There's a lot to love about this game - it's just a really solid platformer with some odd quirks, I think the biggest being the contrast between the main character and the world he's in. The main character is just some plump kid and the music is very happy-go-lucky but some of the enemies are frightful, and there's even blood stains on the wall in the second level. The second level boss has a gruesome transformation from a girl into a spider woman, the animation on it is sick with all the legs popping out of it and then walking! The end boss himself, the titular Wardner, looks like a demon straght from hell.

The game design feels amateur-ish in some places - there is a single jump power up that lets you jump high once, ONCE, to get some gold. It's the only time that power up appears in the entire game. It's a funny detail that makes me wonder if Toaplan put it in there as a joke, like maybe a boss said the game needs a power up so the team obliged with this? It's just a funny, very small detail that you wouldn't think twice of going through the first time. But I've gone through and beat the game multiple times this week so now I see how ridiculous it is.

The game even has that kind of bullshit Easter egg games were known for back then. In one of the levels there's a woman who says to kill the monster in the above room and she'll take you to a shortcut, I did this so many time and went back to her but nothing happened. Finally went on Gamefaqs and found out I had to jump over the monster's attacks eight times, and then let him follow me out a door where he explodes. How the hell would anyone know that?! Who the hell figured that out? After that go back to the woman and she says you're very smart and transports you through the wall. I love this kind of stupid shit.

This is a platformer in a post Ghosts 'n Goblins world but also before Ghouls 'n Ghosts. The physics feel good, and Toaplan even made it so your character drops straight down after falling for a half second so that you can't change trajectory. After each stage you can buy power ups for your shot, and unfortunately you can't beat the game unless you buy the strongest weapon - maybe they learned from Capcom how to milk it like with Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Although it's difficult at some parts the challenge is well-balanced and very forgiving, for example when you die you keep your shot power-ups and restart close to where you died, so no checkpoints or restarting at the beginning of the stage shenanigans.

This game has stayed in the back of my mind for a long time and I've played through it already multiple times in the past week and can run through it in about 20-ish minutes. This is probably the most anyone has talked about Wardner on the internet in a long time. Anyways, I've never played the arcade original but looking at an arcade longplay the Genesis game might be superior simply because of the addition of bosses as well as making some of the levels longer.

I guess Toaplan had nothing to do with the Genesis port, instead it was handled by the engimatic Mentrix Software, who I only know from Calibur .50.

Spoiler:
IamTheWardner.jpg

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
PS Five
I finished Resident Evil 2 Rem5ke, Leon 1 / Claire 2. I took my time so I got a C on both. I really loved it and will definitely pick up the remake of 3. I'm hoping they redo the original and Code: Veronica. I tried out the unlockable modes, but they didn't really appeal to me.

I put Ghost of Tsushima back on after finishing RE2. I forgot how to play it after not touching it for a month and a half. :(

Smitch
I finished Tears of the Kingdom after a long break. It was just OK compared to BotW; the story was too anime for my taste, as were a lot of the supporting characters, and the underground sections were just a pain in the ass. The final fight was super cool though.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
PS5 - Andro Dunos 2, RE2 Remake - AD2 is oldschool great, really fun hori, must have missed the praise when it came out coz I don't hear anything about it. RE2 Remake I've just started, looks awesome, really looking forward to playing it proper. Haven't played RE2 when it was new, wasn't a day-one fan of the series tbh, it took RE4 on GC to drag me into it.

Atari 2600/7800 - Berzerk Enhanced, Dark Chambers - Berzerk Enhanced (2600) is the new version that came out lately, really great update with speech and some more good stuff. Dark Chambers (7800) is the forefather of Gauntlet, has a similar setup but some special quirks that make it a bliss to play. Good graphics too, sound could be better.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Finished the original RE4 a few days ago.

I haven't played it since its original release and forgot how much fun it is.

I picked up RE5/6 super cheap so I'm considering playing those next as I have no experience with them, but have read all about them so I know what to expect.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Finished the original RE4 a few days ago.

I haven't played it since its original release and forgot how much fun it is.

I picked up RE5/6 super cheap so I'm considering playing those next as I have no experience with them, but have read all about them so I know what to expect.
RE5 as a co-op action game is absolutely fantastic with a friend.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
PS5 - SF6
I'm honestly kinda not feeling it.

Switch - Raiden III

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Finished the DLC Seperate Ways on RE4.

Pretty short, but also pretty sweet.

Ada is hot as fuck.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Playstation 5
Final Fantasy 16: I had to play it.. I'm about 30 hours in and I love it.
Virtua Fighter US: Game is good, there is league play about 3 times a week which is fun
Guilty Gear Strive
Street Fighter 6

MiSTer:
Neo Bomberman

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Emu:
Slug 1 & 2
Real Bout 2
KOF 97

PS4:
Jojo All Star Battle R
Akai Katana Shin

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
PC/Steam:

Sea of Thieves - Played it at a LAN party for several hours. Very much not my thing but I can see why people would enjoy it. It's got a ton of content now and has a good variety of stuff to do for people with all different kinds of interests (PvP, PvE, just fucking around). Just sailing a ship is a multiplayer, interconnected mechanic.

Hunt Showdown - It's a combination of two things I can't stand (one/two-hit down PvP shooter and permadeath roguelike) but it's got a lot of interesting mechanics (a PvE element...) and a unique style (bayou zombies/monsters). Don't know how much I'll play but if you can tolerate getting smoked over and over again by teenagers who have way more time on their hands, it's definitely worth checking out.

Street Fighter 6 - Kinda fell off it. I played 150 hours so I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it but the mechanics definitely need some tweaking (DR off of long-range pokes is just stupid currently, Drive Reversal is way too easy to bait, Burnout is a really interesting tug of war but it's a little too punishing currently). I'll come back to it after the year one patch but it's gotten a little dry in its current state.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Been playing Cyberpunk 2077 again.

I put about 50 hours into it originally, but it lost me due to the enemy AI being kind of dumb and the skill/perk tree being kind of boring.

I'm still just a few hours in, but I've noticed a lot of the smaller changes they added over time have added up and it certainly feels like the game it likely should have been on release.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Switch
Star Ocean The Second Story R - Liking this, but it seems like they upped the difficulty of the fights and dungeon layouts. 30 hours in.
Tetris 99 - I always play this to warm up or when my schitzophrenia acts up after a hard day of work.
Pinball FX - Lots of cool sales lately. Picked up My Little Pony and Star Trek TNG and the other Zen originals. A good bout of lazy gaming to complement Tetris 99.
Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince - Fun grindy Pokemon clone. Adds lore to Dragon Quest 4.
Spoiler:
The last boss of DQ4's story is in this game

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
She was my main when I was still playing that online; easily one of my favorite new Fighting characters.

Did they ever give that game rollback?

That game is fun as hell, but boy was it rough online.

There was a beta for rollback, in October…but the full-on, locked update that was supposed to happen by the end of 2023 hasn’t happened yet. 🙁

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
There was a beta for rollback, in October…but the full-on, locked update that was supposed to happen by the end of 2023 hasn’t happened yet. 🙁

That's a shame, because the game is awesome.

I played it up until the second round of DLC content and honestly was having a blast. I'd totally pop it back in and get the rest of the DLC if they do a proper rollback update.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the steam version has rollback and if it all goes well the other versions will get it along with cross play.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the steam version has rollback and if it all goes well the other versions will get it along with cross play.

Looks like it's pretty cheap on Steam right now... might just have to do it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Pocket Fighter - this is a Christmas game, and I'm not wrong.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow - the old Game Boy game. Easier than I remember it. Unfortunately too simple for its own good, could have done more with the grappling hook gimmick.

World Heroes - how did this become one of my favorite Neo games