What are you listening to at the moment?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Man I have the next Swirlies EP after that one somewhere I got at Repo Records in Villanova circa 1995

I’ve never even been to Repo on South Street, I miss that place. Mad Platter was no Repo or Prex but was a pretty decent store in West Chester when I was at WCU, the store manager took care of me when I went there, I actually traded in CDs there to get money to put towards my OG PlayStation.
Mad Platter closed down after 42 years, right before covid. I miss it.

this place isn’t what it once was; disproportionate number of places for adults to eat and drink, very little for teens. -really lost tons of the college-town charm when the comic shop, video game shop, head shop, and record shop downtown all shutter within 6mos of each other.

west chester was never a Boulder or San Diego tho, so...meh.

we are flying the coop in less than 10 yrs anywho.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Mad Platter closed down after 42 years, right before covid. I miss it.

this place isn’t what it once was; disproportionate number of places for adults to eat and drink, very little for teens. -really lost tons of the college-town charm when the comic shop, video game shop, head shop, and record shop downtown all shutter within 6mos of each other.

west chester was never a Boulder or San Diego tho, so...meh.

we are flying the coop in less than 10 yrs anywho.
Same thing happened to Media. Every place became a mid/upscale eatery. We did get a video game store though that moved from Drexel Hill though that I like that Johnny Maximum isn’t a big fan of, but I’m sure you know he hates everything. I could understand why a video game shop, comic shop, or record shop closed though that’s happening in other places as well and is a reflection of changing times shifting away from physical media by the youngsters.

Chester County changed too I’m not sure back then when I was in school but it is the richest county in the state in our current year even over Montgomery, and West Chester is the largest city in said county, so the shift is definitely a reflection of that, even though West Chester does have its seedy areas away from downtown.

West Chester U must be doing something right too since it’s the largest “actual” state school (Penn State, Pitt, and Temple are semi private) by about 8,000+ students now, where all the other state schools mostly are dying it’s thriving and WCU foots the bill for the rest of the system, but that’s a whole different discussion, but plays for the attractiveness of the area versus somewhere like Indiana (PA) or Shippensburg, and pretty soon (like perhaps by next year) many of those other schools will be gone and called PA directional U or shuttered. When I lived in Killinger they were building a new student center across the street that opened (with a nice little arcade at the time btw), they built a newer student center within 10 years after that.

I agree though, places like the Rat and Mad Platter were institutions there and gone now. I can’t imagine a WCU without the Rat and Burrito Loco across the street. West Chester U and UDEL have some similarities in size of school and town, with both being alma maters of the current First Lady of the United States, and there’s no Stone Balloon for UDEL students in Newark DE either anymore, and that was an even more iconic place, and that town has changed just as much as West Chester.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Never picked you for a Triple M listener.
I like a lot of Aussie rock (sans Barnsy / Cold Chisel), especially all the early 90’s grunge, it’s very nostalgic for me.

Seeing You Am I in October.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I like a lot of Aussie rock (sans Barnsy / Cold Chisel), especially all the early 90’s grunge, it’s very nostalgic for me.

Seeing You Am I in October.
Once upon a time I was a bit into Grinspoon. Even saw them at the Hordern. I have a piss head mate who doesn’t like any music besides Barnsy lol.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Once upon a time I was a bit into Grinspoon. Even saw them at the Hordern. I have a piss head mate who doesn’t like any music besides Barnsy lol.

Grinspoon are great. Favourites would be You Am I, Jebediah, Something For Kate.

Barnsy is iconic, but it makes me cringe. The shittiest of Aussie pub rock...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
IMG_20210616_170929611_34.jpgNew CDs. Just filling in more holes in my music collection. I wish Bruno Mars had a Greatest Hits album. Pearl Jam CDs are in cardboard fold-out sleeves, instead of a plastic jewel case, which I'm not fond of, but, that is better for the environment.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Is there seriously a hole in your collection for Greatest Hits albums? Come on, M

@M

20 Year Member
I like greatest hits albums because I get an artist/band's best stuff in one go instead of having to buy all the individual albums. That said, if I really like a musician's body of work, I often end up getting both.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
M.

Stop buying shit from fucking Walmart.

Buying greatest hits albums is actually creating holes in your collection, not filling them in.

Just buy the actual fuckin' albums first, gradually, on discogs.com or eBay. I think every single artist you listen to was/is signed to a major record label. There are about 9999 CD repressings for every album, by every band you post here which means they're worth about $2 per CD on average and people can't get rid of them fast enough. They're laying around sealed in thrift stores for 25cents.

Then make your own greatest hits playlists from the shit you like. Or, at least, carefully choose from the hundreds of greatest hits compilations that exist for just a single band alone and buy the one that makes sense to you based on your experience with their material, again, for probably less than you pay now for CDs. NOT from Walmart.

Your collection will actually be somewhat refined and possibly even worth money some day. I know you probably don't care, or whatever, but you're a hoarder and I'm gonna give you a hard time cuz I kinda like you.

Love,

Mom

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I'd like to act all metal but I am an old fuck...

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
IMG_20210621_132907863_37.jpg
Only one new CD this time, 100 Dance Hits. I am waaaaaaaaay behind on ripping MP3s from all of the many 5-disc, 100 song music collections I've purchased recently. But, on the upside, I did find my Duran Duran greatest hits CD that I've been looking for (I almost gave up and bought another one) and finally ripped that.

IMG_20210621_132958330_37.jpg