Whatcha been playin? (06/05/12)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Holy crap, dude --what happened? An accident at a fireworks factory seems like it could quickly turn catastrophic.

A while ago I started working for a friend of mine who runs a small firework production plant near Nuremberg. Making fireworks always was one of my passions next to video games and music so I was very happy about the offer to join his team. One day we made a test mix of a new 70/30 flash mix of potassium perchlorate and fine-powdered aluminium that we got from an Indian factory, we wanted to test its effectiveness for our ground salutes. Sadly, the potassium perchlorate really was low-quality potassium chlorate which is a lot more sensitive to impact and static electricity and we were using a new laminate for the tumbler barrel in which the mixing took place...

...so we filled the barrel with said chemicals, switched it on and then went to the room next door where continued loading tubes with flash mixture. Right at the moment when I went to the mixing room to get another batch, the machine went boom and sent me flying down the stairs. My friend Alex who was working with me in the filling room and I miraculously escaped with just a few minor brushes, loss of hearing for a couple of days, etc. We were quite lucky under the circumstances, we only had a test-batch running with about 100 grams of flash mixture instead of the usual 3 kg's...

Later on it turned out that the guys at the Indian factory mixed up Chlorate with Perchlorate. We also made some chromatographic tests and found that it was contaminated by bromine, this is what caused most of the deadly accidents in China and India in the past. What's more, the new laminate of the mixing barrel is not ESD-safe... this is what we found out the hard way.

One thing is for sure, we'll never buy Indian (Per)chlorate again. Had this accident occured under normal production conditions, half of our factory would have been blown to space.

Things are back to normal again, we're working on some huge orders from Austria at the moment. :)

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
-PS3-
HOTD 4/SP
Tomb Raider: Underground
Castlevania: SOTN
Castlevania: Chronicles
Sly Cooper

-PSVita-
Disgaea 3

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
got me a mvc cps2 board pretty cheap and I've been playing a lot of single player, just watching endings and seeing what kinda cheap shit I can pull against the CPU :) gambit infinite is some funny shit. First time in awhile I've had fun playing singleplayer in a fighter, probably part nostalgia as I played this game on dreamcast SOO hard when I got it, it was my first dreamcast game :)

other than that just shinobi legions on saturn (finally found me a copy :)) awesome game with awesomely terrible FMV sequences

aria

Former Moderator
A while ago I started working for a friend of mine who runs a small firework production plant near Nuremberg. Making fireworks always was one of my passions next to video games and music so I was very happy about the offer to join his team. One day we made a test mix of a new 70/30 flash mix of potassium perchlorate and fine-powdered aluminium that we got from an Indian factory, we wanted to test its effectiveness for our ground salutes. Sadly, the potassium perchlorate really was low-quality potassium chlorate which is a lot more sensitive to impact and static electricity and we were using a new laminate for the tumbler barrel in which the mixing took place...

...so we filled the barrel with said chemicals, switched it on and then went to the room next door where continued loading tubes with flash mixture. Right at the moment when I went to the mixing room to get another batch, the machine went boom and sent me flying down the stairs. My friend Alex who was working with me in the filling room and I miraculously escaped with just a few minor brushes, loss of hearing for a couple of days, etc. We were quite lucky under the circumstances, we only had a test-batch running with about 100 grams of flash mixture instead of the usual 3 kg's...

Later on it turned out that the guys at the Indian factory mixed up Chlorate with Perchlorate. We also made some chromatographic tests and found that it was contaminated by bromine, this is what caused most of the deadly accidents in China and India in the past. What's more, the new laminate of the mixing barrel is not ESD-safe... this is what we found out the hard way.

One thing is for sure, we'll never buy Indian (Per)chlorate again. Had this accident occured under normal production conditions, half of our factory would have been blown to space.

Things are back to normal again, we're working on some huge orders from Austria at the moment. :)

Tak, it would be a shame if this were confined to just this thread, you really need to start a separate thread because this story is fascinating even without the fact that it involved someone we all know. Wow man, just wow. Glad you're okay.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Man, it feels good to be posting again.

Okay, I'll start a thread about it tomorrow.

These are the things that make you humble. :)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Stay safe Tak!

Any chance you could get pictures of your place of work? Sounds like a pretty kickass place to work in all honesty!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

Whoa! Glad you're still in one piece.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
New week, but I started playing Skyrim again.

Going through the Thieves Guild.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Xbox 360

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings-best game of 2K11 hands down, loses very little in the translation. Play it.

I disagree! I'd tell anyone willing to listen to play Dark Souls first if they haven't already. If they have, play something else anyway. Witcher 2 is an uneven mess.

HeartlessNinny

Holy crap!

Well, I'm really glad to hear you're okay, and you're back. Place ain't the same without cha.

P.S. Bobak is right, make a new thread!

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
New week, but I started playing Skyrim again.

Going through the Thieves Guild.

Same, but with the Assassin's Guild.

Did all the Mages College stuff, pretty meh in the end, haven't even touched the Bard ones.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Xbox360
Splinter Cell Conviction (played through campaign on the highest difficulty; still pretty easy)
Civilization Revolution (I took a break from shooting and popped this in for a change of pace)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I disagree! I'd tell anyone willing to listen to play Dark Souls first if they haven't already. If they have, play something else anyway. Witcher 2 is an uneven mess.

How dare you reverse troll me!

Dude, I just fought the Kayran again last night. In the other thread you complained that the way to fight the boss wasn't clear and you were putting that on the game,.

Except that right at the start of the fight, Sila yells to use the trapping Sigil to pin down one of the tentacles so you can easily chop away at the big red part of the appendage. I dodged around a bit and rolled out of the way until she did that. Took about, I don't know, ten seconds? After that it was wait for a QTE, then run up the fallen debris and finish it off. It was pathetically easy.

The game's not an uneven mess. It's pretty universally hailed as a great product and for very good reasons. This is a case where you're not very good at a very good game. I would agree that there are a few MINOR uneven parts to it, but it's far from the 'mess' you're incorrectly describing it as.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Earthbound snes,what an interesting game...

I'm always shocked at how dark that game is... the writing is really good. I have to finish it one of these days.

Side note: I love your screen name.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
First, glad you're better Takumaji:cool:

Borderlands (I hate the Underdome:lolz:)
Pinball Arcade
Metal Slug XX
Peggle

HeartlessNinny

How dare you reverse troll me!

Dude, I just fought the Kayran again last night. In the other thread you complained that the way to fight the boss wasn't clear and you were putting that on the game,.

Except that right at the start of the fight, Sila yells to use the trapping Sigil to pin down one of the tentacles so you can easily chop away at the big red part of the appendage. I dodged around a bit and rolled out of the way until she did that. Took about, I don't know, ten seconds? After that it was wait for a QTE, then run up the fallen debris and finish it off. It was pathetically easy.

The game's not an uneven mess. It's pretty universally hailed as a great product and for very good reasons. This is a case where you're not very good at a very good game. I would agree that there are a few MINOR uneven parts to it, but it's far from the 'mess' you're incorrectly describing it as.

Insult my skill all you like, it doesn't change the fact that the combat engine in the game just plain blows. It's imprecise and awkward.

As for the Kayran fight, I heard Sila saying something, but she got drowned out by all the action. That's another problem with the game I haven't mentioned: The sound is terrible. The voices vary in volume, sometimes from one sentence to the next, the surround is crappy, and the general quality is quite poor as well (I heard the distinct crackle of compressed sound constantly).

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Just some Angry Birds Space for me.

I did fire up the PS3 port of House of the Dead 4 the other day. It's arcade perfect, can't complain about the quality. Hopefully, Sega can crank out some more quality arcade ports like that.

There's also Max Payne 3 and the Forza 4 Porsche expansion out next week. Couldn't care less about Diablo III.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles

PS3
Skull Girls

Did some runs on dark souls awhile back,mostly a 2nd character but i'm done with that for now.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
XBOX 360:
Finally finished L.A. Noire. What a great game that was.
DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
Call me Judy: Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer
Metal Slug XX
Trouble Witches Neo! <-- this game is surprisingly fun

iOS:
Lots and lots of Pinball Arcade
Blade Dash

No arcade games this past week...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Insult my skill all you like, it doesn't change the fact that the combat engine in the game just plain blows. It's imprecise and awkward.

Is it an insult to say you're not very good at a game? How is that insulting?

As for the Kayran fight, I heard Sila saying something, but she got drowned out by all the action. That's another problem with the game I haven't mentioned: The sound is terrible. The voices vary in volume, sometimes from one sentence to the next, the surround is crappy, and the general quality is quite poor as well (I heard the distinct crackle of compressed sound constantly).

LOL So now the sound's terrible as well?

Why didn't I have a problem hearing Sila's advice?

Why are so many people getting past the Kayran with little difficulty?

You are trying to hate on this game way too hard in order to back up your argument. And it doesn't stand up at all.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i remember Ninny saying these same things about Bayonetta

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I like Ninny just fine and we have some great conversations so it's not intended as a disrespect.

I don't think ALL of his criticisms of The Witcher 2 are invalid. Only a majority of them. And terribly overstated to compensate for how baseless they are.