Whats the game that made you want a Neo?

mungrin

Panko KING,
I was thinking abut this today.Ive always liked Neo Geo when i was a kid but the game that blew me away and made me need to own a Neo Geo was Samurai Showdown.I remember my brother telling me about it over the phone and then i saw it for myself.
At the time there was nothing else like Samurai Showdown.The huge graphics,the zooming,the weapons.The game just blew me away.From that day on i knew i had to own a Neo somehow.

What about you guys?

Last edited:

Jesterzzn

Marked Wolf
Riding Hero. My local arcade had it and I would play it just about every thursday one summer. When Babbage's started selling the Neo and I saw that game on the box, I knew I had to have one. Several years later I finally bought one, but funny enough I never tracked down a Riding Hero home cart and still don't have it for either AES or MVS.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Want one or buy one?

Want one is King of the Monsters. Also Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown. And basically every game released between those and King of Fighters 2000. They all made me want the system. KOF 2k was the first AES cart I grabbed back when I first took the plunge.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Ninja Combat

First time played it at Houston Chinatown and I love it to death..............

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Sengoku, Baseball Stars 2, and Samurai Shodown are the three games that really made me love the Neo. Thinking back it feels like half of my childhood was searching for those shiny big red cabs wherever I went in hopes of getting in just one more round of Samsho, or finally beating stage 3 of Sengoku.

Such good memories.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
At the time there was nothing else like Samurai Showdown.The huge graphics,the zooming,the weapons. The game just blew me away. From that day on i knew i had to own a Neo somehow.

Ditto. I was blown away too by the screenshots I saw in an EGM. It didn't look like a videogame it looked like art.

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
KOF '94. I remember reading this gushing review about it in Gamepro when i was a kid. Great game, great series.

mungrin

Panko KING,
Thinking back it feels like half of my childhood was searching for those shiny big red cabs wherever I went.

OMG lol!!!That was me to.Even when i went to amusment parks i would go straight to the arcades there in hopes to find a big red Neo machine.
One of the great things about the MVS machines was that you never knew what games would be in it.Sometimes you would find on with a game you never heard of.I remember one time I was at some weird arcade and they had Burning Fight in in a 4 slot and everyone was playing it.I never even heard of that game but it looked awesome.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Magician Lord.

When the game still remained portless in 2005, I said fuck it and got myself a consolized MVS.

I also wanted a Metal Slug that didn't have slowdown out the yinyang.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
KOF'98, I was playing KOF'96 on the gameboy at the time so when I saw the graphics I was totally blown away. Mind you this was in 2001.

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
For me, Samurai Shodown... and shortly after Metal Slug. My experience was actually almost exactly like Mungrin... my brother described it to me, and I thought he was exaggerating, what with the zooming, and the size of Earthquake and everything... then I saw it firsthand and almost shit myself.

Plus, Gamepro used to almost always give every Neo-Geo game a 5.0 for graphics. You couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon, or at least be a little curious.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Baseball Stars Pro and Samurai Shodown.

I loved playing the home demo unit when it first came out. Once Samurai Shodown came out it was the game that I spent the most quarters on.

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Metal Slug.

I never saw a Neo Geo cabinet that I remember, but I played Metal Slug on MAME. A few months later I had the chance to trade a bunch of used computer crap for a 4 slot cabinet with some games.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
real bout 1 was the reson i bought a neo.i loved the game play and most of all the story. i was astualy collecting neo games on my saturn at the time. but if a wanted to carry on collecting, i knew that i had to by a neo.but to tell you the truth , there wasn't a "one" game that made me whant a neo. there was many.i was playing metal slug on the arcade, kof 95,96,97 real bout and real bout special on the saturn. but real bout 1 was the reson i had to own a neo.:buttrock:

Kllian

n00b
i remember when i was about 12, maybe 13, but i played baseball stars in a neogeo unit. i still remember that the fans were real characters unlike the crowds in other games around that same time....

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Magician Lord.

Never forget the first time I saw it. Memorial City Mall here in Houston. Must have pumped $5 bucks into that damn game the first day I discovered it. I happened to see it b/c I was waiting to play N.A.R.C., so I tried it and fell in love.

Loved the Neo ever since.

I also played KotM, BBS, and Nam for the first time that day.

daybona

Juz,
For me it was Sengoku and King of the Monsters one day down at the beach. Both games are poo, but they sure as hell impressed me back in 1991.

Now Samurai Showdown on the other hand, I still play to this day. I still remember seeing blood shooting out of a defeated foe in the arcade...classic.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
The farthest memory I can think of when it comes to the Neo is when I played Magician Lord at this restaurant that we used to go to on the way to my Uncles house. Back then Magician Lord was on the verge to being impossible.

I would say Magician Lord was what got me into Neo, and now that i'm older, and more wiser... it is still the hardest freaking game i've ever played.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
SS2 was the one, last blade made me realize that there were games for the Neo that were fully comparable to the SF series by capcom. My friend had a SSF2T cab, he always hated the Neo Geo and dogged on it every time I brought it up. Years later I found out about roms and then bought a big red. Its the best retro game system ever and none of the rest even compare.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
wow, a lot of neo fans from the early 90,s here.i knew fatal fury for the megadrive and fatal fury 2/special back then, but i didn't get into the neo till about 95 96. my earliast neo experiances was with metal slug, real bout and kof 95.im a neo fan from the mid to late 90's.:hcf::C:.

bogsie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Burning Fight.

Not a great game but I remember playing it at a friends house on his AES. It had such a wow factor. That has never been repeated by any system since and I doubt it ever will be.

The controller, the size of the system and cartridge, the fact that I was playing an arcade game on a TV was just magic.

Took me about 10 years to finally purchase my own Neo but it was worth it.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Blue's Journey on a mini 2-slot at McDonald's, when I was around 8 years old or so.

I don't know if it's just the nostalgia talking, but that game is awesome.