What's the main thing behind all of this "occupy" stuff?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
People will complain no matter what though. If for example Apple started manufacturing their iProducts here instead of somewhere in Asia, people would bitch about how expensive the products are now. As a result, less people will buy Apple products. Their stock would plummet; losing millions of people money. Then they'll cut their work force down to compensate. So maybe they'll net a positive # of jobs in the end, but everyone invested in the company will be broke and your average American won't be able to afford their product anymore.

It almost seems like it's worth it to keep some extra coin in your average Americans pocket and keep mass producing iPads in China.

People do bitch about how expensive Apple products are. What planet are you on?

As for people like Sage looking for answers in a world that his family hasn't yet evolved into, the OWS movement makes complete sense when those corporations that gambled on the market got bailed out by money borrowed on the future. That bail out was issued on the assumption that you and your children will pay it off. The people who lost YOUR money will continue to be paid handsomely by YOU future tax income.

I hate it when people, who come from their parent's curtilage of opulence, want to describe middle class problems and the plight of the impoverished. I guess cannonball's folks know what it's like to be a black person in America too. They are very sagelike.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
321522_312466672116126_205344452828349_1194449_1824754142_n.jpg

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The big guys, who are greedy as fuck and are republicians, are in control. The people are finally growing some fucking balls and rising up, and revolting.

But that's not the way for them to do it. The best way is to be a comformist, fuck things up from the inside with some "useful chaos" ala the band Rage Against the Machine and Butthole Surfers.

I tried at the bank, but I failed.
I failed miseraby....

Or did I?

*Evil, Impish Laugh*

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No. You failed miserably.

I'm sure you can have a way better chance of fighting the power by working at Costco, which itself is a conglomerate.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Capitalism is great, but you're right. Most people can't get rich because they're either living beyond their means (trying to live comfortably in an area that has jobs, ie DC, NY), or buying stupid stuff.

The problem I have is that you see people like Lakshmi Mittal, who came from a well to do family and is now one of the richest men in the world, and you see how he did it, and there's more suspicion and disgust than respect. Making money off of cheating, slavery, or other criminal acts is wrong. But to some, being rich and getting away with crimes is cool. There is no karma. Mittal will never get his comeuppance. And many others will denigrate their fellow man in the spirit of wealth chasing. That's where we are in the world now.

Yeah I'm sure that poor investment is a problem for many. Betcha I have some things I don't need or didn't need as nice of that item. It can go the opposite way as well though. Seems like to me my neighbors have all switched roles. Some that had jobs a few years ago don't now and vice versa. Talking to the people who do have work many actually have decent wages, but nothing to show for it. Which ones worse? I dunno.
Also generally I find that most everything other than housing is cheaper in more affluent neighborhoods.

Yeah Im living in the heart of the rust belt now, seems like an either or kinda thing with the price of housing. It's well documented on here that you can get houses for damned near free in Detriot. But in areas that have decent economies you'll have to pay more money then you'll ever make in your life time. The city I lived in before here most everything was 250k+ bad area, good area, decent house crappy house doesnt matter. People with better jobs, work history credit, can get approved for the better homes in the better neighborhoods. Look at the Bakken formation in North Dakota, they've got oil fracking down to a science now and can oil out of areas they couldn't before. At $100 a barrel they can make a profit as well. They interviewed a manager at Popeyes who's making 115k a year. Now a two bedroom house that was $30,000 two years ago is $240k. People are living in the parking lot of Walmart but making $100k a year.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/pf/1110/gallery.America_boomtown_walmart/?iid=SF_PF_River
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/21/pf/america_boomtown_housing/index.htm?iid=F_Jump
Don't know how much that has to do with occupy though. Much of it is controlled by market value, theres always speculators involved when the opportunity to make money presents itself.

Mittal..does he own a football team? I think I've heard his name dropped on European and Asia news. He doesnt get much press here in the states though. Looked him up. Worlds fifth richest man? Sounds like a shrewd business man. Skiped down to con-trov-i-seas as the english say and that mining thing in Kazakstan sounds pretty bad. First time guy like thats so removed I'm sure he could make up an excuse but after that its like he doesn't really care. I bet the Chinese made stricter regulations after they had a string of mining deaths. Bunch of allegations of bribery. Yeah sounds like a filthy rich gangster.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I honestly can't believe there are people out there denying there is a problem worth protesting, I think the solution is completely debatable depending on your political standing, even the source of the problem is debatable, but to say this is just because people are too lazy and entitled is ridiculous.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'd like a return to pre bush regulations to start.

Some of what happened in 08 is still a bit over my head. I tried reading it, but I had a hard time comprehending why there were 4 different types of mortgages and 2nd markets and shit. Its like if there is something to bet on they'll do it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah I'm sure that poor investment is a problem for many. Betcha I have some things I don't need or didn't need as nice of that item. It can go the opposite way as well though. Seems like to me my neighbors have all switched roles. Some that had jobs a few years ago don't now and vice versa. Talking to the people who do have work many actually have decent wages, but nothing to show for it. Which ones worse? I dunno.
Also generally I find that most everything other than housing is cheaper in more affluent neighborhoods.

Yeah Im living in the heart of the rust belt now, seems like an either or kinda thing with the price of housing. It's well documented on here that you can get houses for damned near free in Detriot. But in areas that have decent economies you'll have to pay more money then you'll ever make in your life time. The city I lived in before here most everything was 250k+ bad area, good area, decent house crappy house doesnt matter. People with better jobs, work history credit, can get approved for the better homes in the better neighborhoods. Look at the Bakken formation in North Dakota, they've got oil fracking down to a science now and can oil out of areas they couldn't before. At $100 a barrel they can make a profit as well. They interviewed a manager at Popeyes who's making 115k a year. Now a two bedroom house that was $30,000 two years ago is $240k. People are living in the parking lot of Walmart but making $100k a year.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/pf/1110/gallery.America_boomtown_walmart/?iid=SF_PF_River
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/21/pf/america_boomtown_housing/index.htm?iid=F_Jump
Don't know how much that has to do with occupy though. Much of it is controlled by market value, theres always speculators involved when the opportunity to make money presents itself.

Mittal..does he own a football team? I think I've heard his name dropped on European and Asia news. He doesnt get much press here in the states though. Looked him up. Worlds fifth richest man? Sounds like a shrewd business man. Skiped down to con-trov-i-seas as the english say and that mining thing in Kazakstan sounds pretty bad. First time guy like thats so removed I'm sure he could make up an excuse but after that its like he doesn't really care. I bet the Chinese made stricter regulations after they had a string of mining deaths. Bunch of allegations of bribery. Yeah sounds like a filthy rich gangster.

Arcelor Mittal was one of the steel companies I used to buy from before, and the owner is filthy rich. He's upper crust and basically took his family to the next level, but the method he took wasn't justified, in my opinion. In a capitalist world, the choices are limited to what is right and what is profitable. The concept of breaking a few eggs to make an omelet is a justification, and as an attorney, I hear shitty justifications all the time. I don't buy them, I don't use them in court. I just let people say what they want because they need to feel like what they feel guilty about was the right thing. It never is.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I really hope some cops get sued. I hope they lose their job and everything. Truly.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
QUIT CENSORING YOURSELF SPOONER

I called you out as an obedient little whore (among other things) in that post.

Took it back since you don't seem like a bad guy...but your ignorance is irksome and Gregesque.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I called you out as an obedient little whore (among other things) in that post.

Took it back since you don't seem like a bad guy...but your ignorance is irksome and Gregesque.

Spoon, these are the things I need to hear for me to change my stance.
QUIT CENSORING YOURSELF

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What is the standard law enforcement uses to decide if the application of pepper spray is the the correct level of force to use in a given situation? Surely the standard isn't set so low it can be legally used in instances of mere non-compliance (that don't present an immediate safety hazard to any parties)?

I know some law enforcement agencies used to utilize tasers in instances of non-compliance but the court has done away with that and a significant threat must exist prior to the application of such force.

Last edited:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
The Fox News [sic] dichotomy: The rich are rich because they deserve it, the poor are poor because they deserve it (and by extension kings are kings because god wills it), versus how Ayn Rand died cold, alone, and clutching her last Social Security check in her withered claw-like talons like drowning man holds a life-preserver in a storm-tossed sea.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What is the standard law enforcement uses to decide if the application of pepper spray is the the correct level of force to use in a given situation? Surely the standard isn't set so low it can be legally used in instances of mere non-compliance (that don't present an immediate safety hazard to any parties)?

I know some law enforcement agencies used to utilize tasers in instances of non-compliance but the court has done away with that and a significant threat must exist prior to the application of such force.

It's a violation of free assembly, which is a right under the constitution. Those officers should be put in prison for a month so that they can learn the difference between criminals and innocent civilians, by having it forcibly inserted into them.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
I suppose... If the Ancient Greeks can turn drunkenness into a religion, via the cult of Dionysus the god of wine and madness, modern Americans can do the same with selfishness, via the Cult of Ayn Rand and her "Objectivism."

...but scintology is proof that humans, with their whole hearts, with believe in the stupidest goddammed shit.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
It's a violation of free assembly, which is a right under the constitution. Those officers should be put in prison for a month so that they can learn the difference between criminals and innocent civilians, by having it forcibly inserted into them.

Clearly, the constitution does not apply for those who show flagrant disregard for zoning laws! Someone might be mildly inconvenienced! WORSE, it may affect property values! Oh Horror!