Where to start reading The Punisher?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Curious if there were any Punisher fans that could help me out? Always wanted to get into the books but never knew where to start.

Is the '86 series a good starting point? War Journal? Born?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you want a good modern place to start I'd go with the MAX Ennis run. Then just start exploring from there.

Also we have a dedicated comic thread.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Just wanna say that the GB and NES games are awesome for Punisher. Played like Dynamite Duke or Cabal from Fabtek.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I would start by Amazing Spider-man #129 (if you can get a digital copy) it the first appearance of the punisher , the drawing are very 1976 but the story is very good .

The first comic serie for the punisher was the 1986 limited series.

After the limited series started the 1986 series . It a nice read especially the one with Daredevil. It was hardcore for the time but the comic back then were very soft. And it very 80' but i liked it . Some very crazy story especially the one with Dr Doom (#28-#29) .

War journal was a parrallel series to the 1986 series. It also a nice series but i didn't read all of it. There were some crossover with spider-man.

Again this is all with 80' and 90' humour and themes. The later issues were more serious but even in the old one , the punisher did not fuck around too much.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I love the first Punisher comics. They were presented in an old style that was more accessible to me. I would start there.

Also, definitely read Punisher 2099. It's amazing, especially if you like Judge Dredd.

The comic thread is a disaster. Should be deleted and all contributors purged.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I love me some Punisher, but IMO he's a much better character when it's a one-off or mini-series.

Read "The Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe" - it's a one-off trade where he's hired to eliminate all of Marvel's superheroes. The art is meh, but the story is fantastic.

I wish they would do this in their main continuity. I'm not feeling all this "Secret Wars"-fallout bullshit.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I picked up the first few issues of the Marvel Now Punisher series and couldn't get into it. I can't wait for him to show up on the Daredevil show, though.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd recommend the first appearance of the character from AMS 129, just to see where he came from and how it all started.

Then I'd suggest anything Punisher appeared in during Frank Miller's Daredevil run of the 80s, as I feel that interpretation effectively redefined the character and set the table for his first miniseries (where he fought Jigsaw).

After that, I'd say his first two running series, The Punisher and Punisher: War Journal. The early issues of both series are pretty good.

After that, I don't know because they stopped doing really great things with him for a while and I got bored with the entire concept.

For the Daredevil TV show, I think his inclusion will be pretty well handled.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Marvel Essentials are a great deal and are a great way to get introduced to a character. Looking on Amazon the first Essential Punisher volume looks to be out of print but can still be had on the cheap. That would be my suggestion. I love the earlier stuff so much more then the current Punisher I've read.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'd recommend the first appearance of the character from AMS 129, just to see where he came from and how it all started.

Lucking you can pick up a copy of ASM 129 fairly cheap ;)

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Thanks for the tips, I'm starting with the Circle of Blood arc. All further posts will be in the comic thread.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Marvel Essentials are a great deal and are a great way to get introduced to a character. Looking on Amazon the first Essential Punisher volume looks to be out of print but can still be had on the cheap. That would be my suggestion. I love the earlier stuff so much more then the current Punisher I've read.

Sucks they're in b&w though.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'll admit I don't know shit about comics, so don't ask me. Everything I get is from movies and animated specials.