Why do I need a PS4 Pro?

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Thanks for everybody's replies, I plan on doing the Gamestop deal which is $350 with a free copy of Star Wars Battlefront 2. I am putting a spare 2TB SSHD in it from the start.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
How much better is the XBoneX over the XBone? Does it fix the problem where it takes like half an hour to install a game?

Hell no to the second part. Installs take forever, even longer since the games have to install the 4K data.

It's a lot more powerful, though. It's worth it, IMO, if you have a decent 4K tv.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Installation still takes forever, but actual loading in game is quite a bit faster. The real reason to get it is better framerates in a pretty much every game that had trouble before. For the most part, for consoles the Xbox One X has the best version of the games now, even if the regular Xbone version was inferior to the PS4 one. Doom is a fantastic example of this.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Unless you have a 4K TV there's little reason to get a PS4 Pro. Some games don't even deliver supersampling if the console is set to output 1080p. PS4 Pro might be worth picking up some day when they are cheap for legacy PS4 support, depending on how PS4 backward compatibility is implemented in the PS5.

For now, the Xbox One X is much more worth the upgrade, even on a 1080p screen. The gulf between the base Xbox One and the X is much wider than that of the PS4 and the Pro. The standard PS4 is already a decent 1080p machine for most games.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Unless you have a 4K TV there's little reason to get a PS4 Pro. Some games don't even deliver supersampling if the console is set to output 1080p. PS4 Pro might be worth picking up some day when they are cheap for legacy PS4 support, depending on how PS4 backward compatibility is implemented in the PS5.

For now, the Xbox One X is much more worth the upgrade, even on a 1080p screen. The gulf between the base Xbox One and the X is much wider than that of the PS4 and the Pro. The standard PS4 is already a decent 1080p machine for most games.

I agree, at $350 for a pro I'm going to pass especially since I don't have a 4k TV yet but if the price dropped under $250 and I have a 4k TV, I would consider purchasing one. Same for the Xbox One X.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
When you do get a 4K TV, make sure you get one with HDR. I think you'd regret spending all the money on a new TV and not having that since it makes a pretty big difference. Also, I don't a 4K TV is really worth getting at this point unless you want to play games on it. There's just not enough good content for them yet outside of video games, imo.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
When you do get a 4K TV, make sure you get one with HDR. I think you'd regret spending all the money on a new TV and not having that since it makes a pretty big difference. Also, I don't a 4K TV is really worth getting at this point unless you want to play games on it. There's just not enough good content for them yet outside of video games, imo.

Thanks, will do.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The low priced HDR TV's currently on the market basically accept the HDR10 signal, but you don't get much benefit because they can't actually display the needed color and brightness range. Be careful. There are some good HDR test videos on Youtube.

That's why I'm holding off on going 4K.