Why haven't any of you doll fuckers started a Game of Thrones topic?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is a great post and it's how I've been feeling lately. Even though I think the production values, direction and acting are all still top notch, I feel like the show is too fragmented and they squander the hour they have every week with pointless interactions rather than using the time to intelligently advance the plot.

Tyrion Lannister is one of the biggest impediments to the show now. HBO is so fixated on showing us his 'Tyrion and quipping sidekick' roadshow that ultimately leads to NOTHING OF CONSEQUENCE that other plot points aren't being given time to be flesh out as much as they need to be. Likewise with almost everything that Danaerys is doing right now.

I'm not quitting on the show but I feel they've incorporated too many plot points from the books that need more development time in order to be satisfactory storylines. It's a poor distillation of the source material and they probably could have done a better job cherry picking for the things they wanted to focus on in the TV show to create a more compelling narrative without losing any of the drama or character bits.

This is a much longer discussion...but this is the prime reason why I really do not watch much television anymore. Show makers seem to be needlessly fucking with the viewers. A typical season of 12 episodes looks like this:

Episode 1: Wrap up last season's cliffhanger in a anticlimactic way
Episode 2-5: bullshit filler, no plot advancement
Episode 6: very minor cliffhanger
*absolutely pointless "mid season" 3 month break*
Episode 7: Wrap up minor cliffhanger in a anticlimactic way
Episode 8-10: Bullshit filler
Episode 11: Actual plot advancement
Episode 12: Too much shit in a small package, plot advancement and the typical cliffhanger

...and another season ended. The watcher sits there why they even watch the show and how it was possible that more shit happens in a 2 hr long movie than 12 hours of a fucking TV show...

Going back and watching GoT from the beginning, nearly every episode was full...and often meaningful. As season 3 came along, things started to slow. This season has been pretty limp.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The complaints were bound to start given the concurrent book 4 & 5 source material. There's so much going on simultaneously, it was always going to be difficult to condense it into bite-sized TV chunks. There's also too much meddling going on with multiple aspects of the plot and focusing on trivial irrelevent shit. I'll withhold judgement until I see where they're going with it, but I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The complaints were bound to start given the concurrent book 4 & 5 source material. There's so much going on simultaneously, it was always going to be difficult to condense it into bite-sized TV chunks. There's also too much meddling going on with multiple aspects of the plot and focusing on trivial irrelevent shit. I'll withhold judgement until I see where they're going with it, but I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

In the end, its entertaining...and that's why I still choose to watch it. It's just not as entertaining as it was a few years back, which sucks.

I'd even be happy with 1/2-1/2 episodes where they devote 30 min to a sub plot, 30 min to another, then have the following episodes devoted to other sub plots. The "10 min here, 10 min there" shit gets old.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For those that watched last night's episode...

Spoiler:
Am I to take it that jorah mormont's timeline on the show will now go around that of the book? I read on about the path that jorah takes and it seems completely different than what happened last nigh., For starters, he doesn't get the "stone skin" in the books...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
For those that watched last night's episode...

Spoiler:
Am I to take it that jorah mormont's timeline on the show will now go around that of the book? I read on about the path that jorah takes and it seems completely different than what happened last nigh., For starters, he doesn't get the "stone skin" in the books...

Spoiler:
Yeah in the books, it's Tyrion that gets touched but he doesn't appear to have been infected.

Far more plotlines differ now than remain true to the books. Used to be the other way around. Not necessarily bad, but it's getting difficult for me to keep the 2 versions straight in my head.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
The Sand Snakes are the low point of this series at the moment.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
The Sand Snakes are the low point of this series at the moment.

Yup. Looks like that part of the show took a major hit when it comes to production costs. The sets, acting, and action scenes were bad.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Yup. Looks like that part of the show took a major hit when it comes to production costs. The sets, acting, and action scenes were bad.

It all played out like a bad scene from a Lorenzo Lamas show.

WTF?!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Most of the action scenes in this show are really bad. The only actors in the whole cast that possess any natural fighting grace are the guy who plays Bron and Kit Harrington (Jon Snow).

The choreography in this last episode was filled with quick edits and fast cuts to hide the actors' inability to look like they can fight. This show is making money hand over fist. Why don't they get the guys that choreographed the Matrix to teach them about proper body movement and camera use?

I am still watching the show but I'm not much invested anymore. I just want the next book to come out already. This wait is killing me and it sucks that the TV show is the only means by which I can get any new content related to Ice and Fire.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The fighting in last night's episodes as pretty limp. As you said, the quick cuts and camera angles scream "bad fighting"...

Outside of that...it was a better episode (in my opinion)...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Wait until you meet Victarion.

My understanding is that the show isn't going to do anything with the Iron Isles subplot. I don't think we're going to get Victarion or any of those other characters.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My understanding is that the show isn't going to do anything with the Iron Isles subplot. I don't think we're going to get Victarion or any of those other characters.

Will we get midgets riding on pigs and dogs?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've cheated a bit and read quite a bit of the book's plot lines...I guess I really do not understand why, if they're running out of book sourced material, why the show's producers do not spend more time on some of the plot lines.

Case-in-point...arya stark's timeline and story while in the House of Black and White. According to what I've read, her journey there is far more detailed than what the show dove into. When they opt to spend huge amounts of time on crappy characters such as Grey Worm...why not spend more time with the main characters?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Only if George Miller is allowed to take control of the show.

Yeah, and one of the barnyard beasts would have a stage on its back with a blind midget playing a lute that shoots wildfire.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
More like Game of Shits...when was the last time we watched a good fight?! Too bad Sir Lawrence? went down, I liked him.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
More like Game of Shits...when was the last time we watched a good fight?! Too bad Sir Lawrence? went down, I liked him.

The battle at the Wall last season was pretty awesome, as was the fight when the Watch went to go get the traitors that killed Mormont.

Honestly, I think that this last episode's fight scene with the Sand Snakes, Bron and Jamie proved that this is not a series about pointless action beats. In the books, the fight to get Myrsella back was handled in a COMPLETELY different way and neither Jamie nor Bron were a part of it.

Game of Thrones is not meant to have 'action beats'. It's not that kind of show. The fight in the last episode was handled like an action beat in an episode of Hercules or Legends of the Seeker. It was THAT bad. It almost feels like a 'jump the shark' moment.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The battle at the Wall last season was pretty awesome, as was the fight when the Watch went to go get the traitors that killed Mormont

Also the one between The Mountain and Brianne of Tarth.

That one almost reminded me of the big fight scene in They Live.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Now...did Ramsay Bolton go balls deep into the actual Sansa Stark or the doppleganger? As a person who only read the cliffnotes I am confused. Those who read the books must be like, "WTF".

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Spoiler:
Now...did Ramsay Bolton go balls deep into the actual Sansa Stark or the doppleganger? As a person who only read the cliffnotes I am confused. Those who read the books must be like, "WTF".

Spoiler:
As far as the show is concerned, I didn't know there was a doppleganger for Sansa...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah no doppleganger for mamacita stark.

@Taiso, I understand and I have yet to see the last episode. I'm just a bit underwhelmed by this season so far, the previous ones seemed a bit more action packed.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I will say this...by what I've read about the books, its currently a slow time in them as well.

Look at it this way...every major player from early on is gone. People are regrouping, planning for their next move. When the head of every major house in the start is now gone...it's not going to be really all that exciting for a while.

On the other hand, they could do better with their time but like I've said before...a vast majority of television is shit anymore. If you can reasonably entertain me, I'm ok with it. GoT still accomplishes that...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree, it still entertaining to say the least. I'm just down 'cause we saw the white walkers coming and we have yet to see what happened with them, are they under way, are the white walkers gonna finally take everything down, you know what I mean, so may sub plots that the main ones are getting buried it seems. Guess I'm just inpatient.